Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

message forum width overshoot

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 05/29/10 10:46 PM Views: 1840 Replies: 6
Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 10:46 PM

hi
can someone pls help me.
someone has posted a message on the message forum that causes the window to overshoot to the right.
this has happened before and i was to fix it by finding the offending message and deleting the excess spacebar characters. however this one's different, i can't even scroll to the right of the window.
also in the future, how can i prevent this from recurring.
your swift response is much appreciated.

thanks,
georg

Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 11:20 PM - Response #1

OK it is fixed.

It is the Instant Messaging that causes the BOTTOM (right-scrolling) scroll bar to be removed. If you turn off Instant Messaging (Edit Site Pages, Then uncheck the checkmark, then you will be able to go back in to the Message Forum and find/edit the offending forum entry.

I already did this for you.

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 2:06 AM - Response #2

thanks for the response.
i've fixed the offending post. however i noticed the page is behaving odd.
it all started when i activated the "Allow Classmates to send Instant Messages to each other through the web site." option.
as soon as users login, the whole content disappears and only the background image stays.
the odd behavior of the page stops once the "Allow Classmates to send Instant Messages to each other through the web site." is deactivated.

i've since deactivated this option.

this new option is really cool but it seems to affect the other pages. please look into it and let me know if this is isolated to my website or other school's website also shows this odd behavior.

please notify me if any fix has been applied as well.

thanks a lot,
georg

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 11:11 PM - Response #3

Are you possibly using Internet Explorer 6.0? 8.0 is out now and 6.0 is too old for us to support with IM. If you're not, what browser and version # are you using?

About 5% of people are having issues based on configuration or device. Next week we're going to launch some updates that will better-determine non supported devices and we'll give exact directions on what to do to participate. Until those things are done by the user IM will auto disable so it doesn't interfere with anything else on the site (in case they can't or won't make the necessary changes). We're also going to launch some updates that will cure some scroll problems for this 5% of users. We're hoping to have all of that in place by the end of this coming week.

Monday, May 31, 2010 at 12:43 AM - Response #4

happy memorial day!
thanks a lot for the response.
we use ie 7/8 mostly. other users in our site use ff 3.5/3.6.

Monday, May 31, 2010 at 8:56 AM - Response #5

I noticed you have IM active on your site again. Are you still seeing the problem? In IE8 I'm going to your Message Forum and am not seeing anything wrong. If you're still seeing the problem can you attach a screen shot of what you're seeing?

Monday, May 31, 2010 at 1:48 PM - Response #6

yeah i did, people were asking for it.
also told them to give me feedback.
will let u know

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.