ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Bulletin Board page work around

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 06/11/15 02:26 PM Views: 793 Replies: 1
Thursday, June 11, 2015 at 2:26 PM

Because I wanted to create a 'Bulletin Board Page' separate from "Announcements"(which we do have turned on at the bottom of our Home Page) I created the page and then I cut and paste classmates' entries which they enter via a link on the page.

The link actually takes them to the 'Announcements' entry page, which gives me approval/edit/disapproval ability.

And since I leave the check box for allowing Classmate entry unchecked, the 'Post Announcement' Tab is not shown on the Classmates Member section (that would just confuse them).

So far so good, Classmates are using the 'Bulletin Board' tab, submitting postings for approval, I get to monitor and edit their postings, but the cutting and pasting from the Announcements to the Bulletin Page is a small pain.

Their posting shows up in two places really, on the Announcement block at the bottom of home page (which few ever see), and also on the Bulletin page which they get an email to visit each time there's a new posting.

So, here's the question: Is there a way to 'mirror' what's on the Announcements at the bottom of our home page, on our Bulletin Board page? This would save 'cut and paste' and possible errors. AND.. the postings on the Bulletin Board page would drop off just like the Announcements do when the posting hits the drop off date.

I've taken the 'logged in' requirement off the Bulletin Board page temporarily so everyone can look at the page and use the links.

thank for the help!

Ed V

Thursday, June 11, 2015 at 3:30 PM - Response #1

Not sure exactly of the sequence you describe. I'm assuming that NOTHING shows anywhere until you approve it?

One way to do this with a single page is to create a custom html page stored in your file vault containing the post". Let's call it UserPosts. This page is included in BOTH home and announcement pages using iframe.

So when you update the file vault page UserPosts, it automatically updates both pages with the new content (mirrors).

Only issue left is triggering an update email. Probably need to make 'blank' change and save the announcement page.

Not sure if that is easier or not since you do have to delete and upload this custom page. (Be easier if the file manager would just REPLACE files vs adding suffix numbers like normal FTP file management systems.)

You can use Notepad to maintain the UserPosts page.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.