ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

New Years GIF

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 12/31/09 02:32 PM Views: 2874 Replies: 4
Thursday, December 31, 2009 at 2:32 PM
newyears2010.gif

Part 1. Just tried replacing a "happy holidays" 3-panel gif with another 3-panel "happy new years" gif from my vault (attached). The former worked fine, but for some reason only the first panel of the new one is displayed vs the sparkling champagne animated effect. Have tried re-saving file using adobe image ready and ensuring the "forever" setting is on with same result. Suggestions?

Part 2. Have also noticed that home page vertical spacing for new image is fine when using Firefox, but both Safari and Camino browsers want to shove the image down after the ClassCreator block. I've tried to delete extra line and return spaces where found, but symptoms persist. Suggestions?

Bob

Thursday, December 31, 2009 at 3:11 PM - Response #1
newyears2010.gif

Ah, I love this question Bob, because you have no idea how many other people you will help by raising this.

1) Part 1: If you upload GIF animations to the system that are too large to fit on your web site, our system has to automatically resize them for you. Unfortunately when that happens only the first frame of the animation is preserved. Thus what you need to do is resize that animation to fit correctly so our system doesn't have to resize it for you. You need to resize it using software that preserves GIF animations. Use GIF Resizer, a free animated GIF resizer here to accomplish that (you can just size down in ImageReady, since it too preserves animated frames on the resize). How do you know the maximum width you can resize your animation down to? For that you want to read our forum post about Maximum Image and Object Sizes.

Part 2: Some browsers, such as Firefox, will bump images and objects down on the page if they're too big to fit where you're putting them. It's imortant that you read our Thread About Firefox and Objects Sizes so you can understand why this happens. Once you understand why this is happening, just refer to the thread I posted above to figure out what your maximum sizes are, and then size down accordingly.

I think that should cover it. Thanks again for asking this, it's very helpful especially for newer Admins here in laying out their pages.

Edited 12/31/09 3:15 PM
Thursday, December 31, 2009 at 6:30 PM - Response #2
cclink.jpg

Brad,

Thanks for your timely reply. Got it fixed, but forgot to tell you I'm using a Mac and the "gif reducer" link said only for Windows platform. At any rate, jumped back into adobe image ready and resized using your content area guidance of 270 pixels wide and it fits on several different browsers.

If I may ask one final tip for the year, how can I change from the right flush ClassCreator block to the rectangular version (attached) I've seen on other sites. Would like to put it at the bottom of the page centered below the playlist in lieu of the one on the right column.

Thanks.

Bob

Thursday, December 31, 2009 at 6:39 PM - Response #3

Simply go into edit mode for your home page and move that block to your content area instead of the right module area.

Thursday, December 31, 2009 at 10:43 PM - Response #4

Hadn't needed to use the arrows before, but that did it. Thanks.

Almost time to celebrate in our time zone. Happy New Year.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.