ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

NEXT and PREVIOUS buttons for Admins

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 11/28/08 07:02 PM Views: 1183 Replies: 6
Friday, November 28, 2008 at 7:02 PM

Brad,

I am not sure how complicated this would be, but how about a NEXT and a PREVIOUS button, that could be clicked on after the SAVE button, at the bottom of each classmate's profile for admins? (That would mean that the SAVE feature would have to leave you on that page instead of taking you back to the classmate list; or perhaps the button could SAVE and proceed to the NEXT profile.) It would really come in handy if the admin is doing the same task for each classmate, like uploading their class photo. I find it to be a huge time consumer when I have to scroll through the list to get to the next person I had to 'work on' so to speak, and my class is tiny in comparison to some others. I can only imagine that others with huge classes would welcome those two little buttons.

Your thoughts???

Thanks!

Vicki

Edited 11/28/08 7:07 PM
Friday, November 28, 2008 at 7:19 PM - Response #1

It's an interesting question Vicki. Thoughts off the top of my head are:

1) Refreshing the same page after saving something is never good. It gives the impression the save did not "take". So for that reason alone I'm opposed to bringing up the same page, even if we've appended an additional Next button to the bottom.

2) Having said that, we could always bring up a new page -- something that gives the Admin the option of proceeding to the next Profile, or returning to the Class List. My concern there would be people aren't always working in succession like this. I know you are in the early stages, but after that you're not likely to do it ever again. And if we bring up an "in between" page like this for people who are just trying to update one record, it actually creates an extra click barrier to getting back to the Class List (for this same reason I would be opposed to automatically taking people to the next Classmate Profile on the list).

My guess is, if we added such an in between screen, the people who are already done with the rudimentary data entry process will then complain.

What say you?

Edited 11/28/08 7:30 PM
Friday, November 28, 2008 at 7:26 PM - Response #2

Good point...I guess now I'll have to think of a good idea to respond back at you with. There has to be an easier way!!

Vicki

Edited 11/28/08 7:30 PM
Friday, November 28, 2008 at 7:30 PM - Response #3

Ok...just thought of something!

How about two different SAVE buttons at the bottom of the page? One could be a simple SAVE(essentially the same as the one that exists now) while the other could be a SAVE and NEXT (to take you to the next profile, or the 'In Between' page you mentioned).

That would make everyone happy...except for maybe your team of folks who make all the changes. I'm sure that they don't like when tasks get added to THE LIST.

Thanks!

Friday, November 28, 2008 at 7:36 PM - Response #4

Ha ha ha ha ha. Smile Ok, that actually made me laugh out loud.

Well... I dunno Vicki. We'd have to put two save buttons on the same page, and then we start getting into interface clutter and usability issues. Every time somebody wants to do anything they'd need to see:

and

If somebody has already added the initial data, now they've got to make a decision every time they want to save anything. There's something to be said for keeping things simple.

Am I over thinking this? You tell me if I am. Anyone else wanna chime in? On that note I have to take my 3 year old to Taco Bell. Maybe some flash of creativity on this issue will hit me while I'm makin' a run for the border. Smile

Edited 11/28/08 7:38 PM
Friday, November 28, 2008 at 10:03 PM - Response #5

After saving a profile, you can then click the BACK button once or two times and the list of classmates will be scrolled down to where you need to be.

Another option is to use FireFox. You can use the FIND option and it will bring up a SEARCH bar at the bottom of the page. If you type in the name of a classmate (one with a unique name), then after you come back from saving the profile, you can just click on the NEXT button, which will take you back to the name you were working on. You can then click on the next classmate.

Just a few ideas.

Friday, December 5, 2008 at 4:54 PM - Response #6

Those are ideas, but I was just thinking of an easier way to navigate when doing certain tasks for each classmate, like uploading the senior pic. I think it would be easier to simply progress to the next classmate's page instead of having to go back to the list to select the next name on the list. Those are just my thoughts, though.

Vicki

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.