ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Uploading & downloading high def. pictures

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 10/30/16 02:50 PM Views: 1329 Replies: 17
Sunday, October 30, 2016 at 2:50 PM

It looks like CC is compressing my high quality pictures into the gallery during upload. I would like to be able to upload an uncompressed picture that the classmates can download and print from the gallery. The compressed picture that I am able to download is not high enough quality to print. Is this possible and if so what it the procedure for doing this?

Edited 10/30/16 2:51 PM
Sunday, October 30, 2016 at 2:59 PM - Response #1

I have a feeling your only option to get an uncompressed photo to your classmates is to send it as an attachment from your private email to theirs, skipping Class Creator altogether.

Sunday, October 30, 2016 at 6:41 PM - Response #2

There is a bug right now in File upload (it's resizing but is not supposed to), but when it gets fixed you can upload to File (not Image) vault and provide a link to those images.

Sunday, October 30, 2016 at 8:24 PM - Response #3

Jack, would you please explain how to "upload to File (not Image) vault." I only know how to upload to the Image vault: on the Editor, I click on the Image icon (second icon on top row, next to Source icon), which when pressed, takes me to the pictures file on my hard drive to select a picture.

What steps do I take to upload to the File vault?

Sunday, October 30, 2016 at 8:42 PM - Response #4

In the editor, instead of clicking on the Image button, click on the Link button (third from the right, bottom row). The "File Vault" button there gets you to a page that looks like it includes the image vault files and folders, but there is a "File" folder at the top of the list which is the 'real' file vault.

Edited 10/30/16 8:47 PM
Sunday, October 30, 2016 at 11:24 PM - Response #5

I don't want to beat this to death, but I'd appreciate some clarification. I just did an experiment. I have a 1.11 MB photo in my hard drive. In 2013 I uploaded it to the Image vault and it was compressed to 61 KB. It's still there, at 61 KB.

Just now, I renamed the file in my hard drive and uploaded it to both the Image vault and, following John Ralph's instructions, to the File vault. In both cases, the image was compressed to 146 KB. Jack Vermeulen and John Ralph, are you saying that absent an apparent bug, files uploaded to the File vault are not compressed, i.e. the image in the File vault would be 1.11 MB instead of 146 KB?

Monday, October 31, 2016 at 12:03 AM - Response #6

Yes there is current a Bug in the File vault for images (same one that was there when new File system was installed). Revert to the OLD File manager (preferences) and it will work as stated.

Here's a sample file I just made and uploaded (old file manager) a large image. You can make it any display size you want. Using a browser's right click popup menu you can save the image locally.

LINK

3,072px × 2,304px (and even larger is possible)

Edited 10/31/16 12:06 AM
Monday, October 31, 2016 at 1:21 AM - Response #7

From Scott's test, it appears that there's also another bug... The old editor/file-manager compressed his 1.11MB file to 61KB... but the new file manager compressed it to 146KB.

I did a quick test of my own, using a 127KB jpg which had already been compressed on my PC from an original size of 800KB. The original is in my vault at 108KB from when I first uploaded it, but now gets expanded from 127Kb to 216KB (instead of being compressed to 108KB) when uploaded to the image vault. That's sucking up twice (or more in Scott's test) as much vault space for uploaded photos to the image vault.

{Edit} Interestingly, uploading that file again using the old file manager now compresses it to 82KB.

Edited 10/31/16 1:30 AM
Monday, October 31, 2016 at 1:39 AM - Response #8

Those differences are the result of JPG compression options. Image uploads always made a resized jpg file larger than they had to be. Did extensive tests a long time ago. Yes, sometimes twice as large Shocked

It's why resizing locally - to avoid resizing - can save one a lot of file space. IOW, this won't happen if the image is within the size limits of the particular page. Gallery stuff I've never really explored (don't use gallery for anything), but I imagine it's similar.

The issue is that high compression can result in lack of image quality - so I assume that CC took the safer road here. Doing it locally lets one pick and choose both the size and compression settings to see how it looks.

It all depends on the image here - less compression always gives you a better image. Plus redoing a jpg image always results in a worse image - but you have to look carefully to see this Wink

So the compression differences are not really a bug, more a guess what works best for various images.

Edited 10/31/16 1:40 AM
Monday, October 31, 2016 at 3:03 PM - Response #9

same has been happening to me for a week or two. I keep trying, and no go.
I thought that I'd been able to do this in the past. upload large rez file 1940x1048. insert it on page.. 640 x 480.. but also link to it so the large 1940x1048 file opens in another window.

Monday, October 31, 2016 at 3:11 PM - Response #10

I just tested and confirmed this. I have sent the issue, to the programmer for review.

Monday, October 31, 2016 at 3:13 PM - Response #11

Temporarily just use the OLD file manager. Go to Preferences and select

EDITOR FILE VAULT OPTIONS
Do NOT Show Thumbnails

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 at 2:09 PM - Response #12

BTW - this issue was fixed a few weeks ago.

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 at 2:09 PM - Response #13

BTW - this issue was fixed a few weeks ago.

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 at 3:30 PM - Response #14

super. i just tried it..and it works. i can link to a larger .jpg. i do notice that i have to Add .jpg File with Add File to Files. . and not "download to Images" in order for it to work. but that's fine. it's great now.

Thursday, December 1, 2016 at 10:46 AM - Response #15

Good to hear. Thanks.

Saturday, February 18, 2017 at 2:18 AM - Response #16

I am trying to add a photo to a page that has greater resolution than what was uploaded as an image. The picture is somewhat fuzzy and I want to have better resolution. I loaded it to the file vault as a document and it works fine to click on the link and have it come up but I want to have it display on a page on the website. Is there a way to do that?

The page is "Ministries".

Saturday, February 18, 2017 at 1:42 PM - Response #17

Upload to FILE vault (not image) and then manually create the IMG html code. Use percent, not absolute size for CC.

Looks like this style="width: 100%"

See code for image on home page. That image can also be uploaded to FILE if original is larger than current one in IMAGE (it's 700 wide just expanded or shrunk to user's screen width).

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.