ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Photo Crop Didn't Work Right in Gallery

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 07/20/13 02:24 PM Views: 917 Replies: 9
Saturday, July 20, 2013 at 2:24 PM

I was cropping a gallery photo for one of the classmates who uploaded some of his own. But the crop I wanted and saved did not crop it where I had positioned it and ended up cutting a person in half on the photo. Are there backups of the original photos in the file vault that I can retrieve to redo it or do I have to ask him to resend the photo to me (perhaps I should have downloaded it and used IrfanView instead...)? Thanks, Elaine

Monday, July 22, 2013 at 3:17 PM - Response #1

You will need him to resend the image.

Monday, July 22, 2013 at 4:18 PM - Response #2

I have found that it is a good idea to save the pictures on your computer first, not just for this reason. If you have the original saved, you can always go back to it if you make a mistake like cropping it wrong or whatever.
Every picture that I have posted on our website is in a special folder or folders on my computer. This way, should I ever wish to use them again, I've got them.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 at 12:44 PM - Response #3

Oh yes, it was a case of being in a hurry and not spending the time to do just that. You bet I will save everything now first. Classmate has sent me a copy. However, photography is my hobby and I crop photos a lot, not just on this website and this has never happened to me before. I definitely had that photo just where I wanted it and after saving the changes it shifted the photo too far to the left and cut off some people I had left in the photo. I was wondering why it did that and what I might have done incorrectly (other than being rushed!) or if anyone had experienced the same thing or if the folks at ClassCreator could tell me what might have happened as I would have never saved it the way it turned out. I'm very leery of using that utility again as a result until I at least experiment with it more. Thanks, Elaine

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 at 1:37 PM - Response #4

If you do this all the time, you certainly don't need my advice. I would say, though, that you needn't be afraid of the tools that CC uses. If there is some glitch that causes the issue you outlined, you would certainly have the means to correct it and correct it immediately if you have the original. I've had some issues uploading pictures to a gallery too. I would get as far as clicking to upload and nothing would happen. Then I switched from Firefox to Chrome just as an experiment and it worked perfectly. In my former job, I had programmers working for me that had an expression they used when unexplainable things happened, "Damn computers." Smile

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 at 4:07 PM - Response #5

Hi Elaine, Welcome to our wonderful world of class sites!

Tim, I look forward to the day I can blame the computer. Recently, it has been 'user error'! Cool

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 at 1:52 AM - Response #6

Tim & Gwen -- LOL! I'm certainly not immune to the old "user error" on these damn computers! And I know what you mean about unexplainable problems, Tim, the programmers who worked for me actually wanted me to test their work because I often managed to find some problem! Sort of a challenge to them, I guess.... So, now I'm curious enough to go try cropping again and see if I can duplicate the problem or not. With all photos downloaded and copied first, of course! Elaine

Thursday, July 25, 2013 at 1:01 PM - Response #7

User error? That just cannot be! Smile Please, let's make sure we always put the blame where it belongs. "Damn computers." LOL
Of course we could always blame Kyle or Scott, but that would be too easy, and I'm certain they get blamed for enough already. (By the way, I only tease people for whom I have the most respect, so understand I'm only kidding)Smile

Edited 07/25/13 1:09 PM
Thursday, July 25, 2013 at 5:35 PM - Response #8

Your mascot appears to be walking away, Tim. Seems he is grumbling, 'Those damn computers!' Cool

Friday, July 26, 2013 at 10:45 AM - Response #9

Yep. Hee hee.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.