ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

In Memory Family Access

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 12/04/14 03:06 PM Views: 918 Replies: 6
Thursday, December 4, 2014 at 3:06 PM

Hi - Just want to confirm that when I move a classmate's profile to In Memory that the profile's password is suspended and not able to be accessed or used again. The wife of one of our classmates used his password to get onto our site to send me the information on his passing via the In Memory page notification link. She was assuming she'd still be able to use the old password to see any In Memory comments that his friends might make but I'm about to tell her she won't be able to use it anymore and that I'd set up a Guest Profile for her to use instead. That's what I've done in the past but thought I'd just check in to see if anything has changed since it's been a long time since I've been on the forum. Am I right? Thanks, Elaine

Friday, December 5, 2014 at 5:12 PM - Response #1

The login info does remain active for spouses to access the accounts. However, if extended access is desired by the spouse, I would suggest adding the spouse as a Guest Member.

Friday, December 5, 2014 at 6:15 PM - Response #2

I have a son of a deceased alumnus who accesses her profile to update it...and to see comments. I don't see a problem with a family member having access to a deceased alumni's password. As long as they don't abuse it...why set up guest access???
The policy on our site is to let the alumni's family if they want to maintain the alumni's profile.

Saturday, December 6, 2014 at 2:48 PM - Response #3

The question I have is what you mean by "extended access," Scott -- or what features can a spouse or family member use or not use if they just logon to a deceased classmate's profile vs. their own under "Guests?" (I have assumed the latter is everything any other classmate can use). One reason I usually recommend a Guest ID for family members is that it might be a tad disturbing to someone to receive an email or update from a "deceased" classmate, for example (if that's something they can do with a Profile that has moved to In Memory). More than any other feature, the In Memory page, when a classmate passes away, generates the most activity on the site so that's why I really want to know the differences. Thanks! Elaine

Monday, December 8, 2014 at 12:11 PM - Response #4

By "extended access" all I am referring to is logging in and interacting with the members of the class. If someone logs in via a user name and password of a deceased member and then begins to interact with others, it would appear to the others that the are interacting with the "deceased member." This is typically not an issue, but as soon as your site has a what appears to be profile updates by a deceased member, or Message Center messages by someone who is deceased, this can be unsettling to others in the class. That would be my biggest reason behind suggesting the Guest Profile for that family member. Guest members have full interaction privileges in the system. The only difference is where their name is displayed... at the bottom of the Classmate Profiles page.

Monday, December 8, 2014 at 3:50 PM - Response #5

Thanks for the clarification, Scott!

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 at 3:40 PM - Response #6

Elaine, After a discussion last year, we addressed this issue by unlocking the In Memory page. In almost all cases, the publicly released obituary was what was posted - along with comments from classmates which may offer some comfort to those close to the person just moved to In Memory.

As an unlocked page, changes are picked up quickly by search engines, and family and friends who search for the name will find our site with a link to the In Memory page. Outsiders can see the In Memory posts, but only logged in classmates can see the link to a profile on the In Memory entries.

We have not had a request by a family member to access the rest of the site, but would consider creating a Guest Member if the situation comes up.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.