ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Group File Repository to Contribute Big Files?

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 01/17/09 09:43 AM Views: 1213 Replies: 1
Saturday, January 17, 2009 at 9:43 AM

The question came up for a way for people to upload text files, pictures and videos so that a slideshow or video could be created for the reunion coming this summer.

E-mail isn't the place for huge files and ClassCreator isn't built to handle that function either. The few group file sharing sites I've seen require yet another account and possibly even a software install. The geeks clearly wouldn't have a problem, but based on my experiences so far, the masses will be thoroughly confused.

Any ideas on where/how to easily pull that off the least confusing way for non-techie users? It's tempting to say, upload wherever you like (e.g. Skydrive) and tell me where to get it, but even that would be confusing to many.

Saturday, January 17, 2009 at 2:23 PM - Response #1

Maybe try rapidshare.com. I'm not sure what their limits on file size are.

Another thing you could do is get a standard hosting account. It may be a little too "geeky" as you put it, for ordinary mortals, but with a regular hosting account all of your Classmates could post their video files, photos, etc. to the server.

To do this they'd have to have an FTP program, but there are many free ones, such as WS_FTP, and with relatively simple instructions I suspect most people would have no problem. You may have to do a little hand holding with some though.

Edited 01/17/09 2:24 PM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.