ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Adding pages that don't appear on the menu

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 04/09/10 08:08 PM Views: 1964 Replies: 6
Friday, April 9, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Are you close to allowing additional pages created as blank survey pages being functional without having to appear on the menu?

Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 12:15 AM - Response #1

Good news and bad news. First the bad news. The unlimited page feature is part of the link sorting/renaming feature now under development. Before we can even start developing that feature itself, a whole overhaul of the underlying system structure has to happen. So that's going to take several weeks and will have to be extremely thoroughly tested before we roll that out to 11,000 sites. So hang tight, it's all coming but will be awhile yet.

And now the good news: You can actually do it now, but shhhhhhh, don't tell anyone. It's kind of a backdoor way of doing it and I'm not recommending this for the long term, but you can certainly do it this way for now if you want to:

1) Click Gallery Creator and create a new Navigational link

2) Create a new photo gallery under that link (be sure you only put 1 gallery under the link, not 2 or more)

3) Don't actually upload any photos to your gallery. Instead click the "Edit" link next to your gallery name and add your page content to the editor.

4) Now go preview your gallery page live. All you'll see is your content because there are no photos. Copy the entire web address of the page to your clipboard.

5) Click Gallery Creator again and deactivate your navigational link. You can leave the gallery itself active, just deactivate the navigational link.

6) And finally go into edit mode for any other page and make a link to the web address you have on your clipboard. I.E. highlight some text, click the chain link icon, and press control-V to paste in your link.

Voila, you just created a brand new page that doesn't have to appear on the navigation.

It will be a whole lot easier to do this of course when the system restructuring is complete. But, if you want to do it this for now, by all means go for it.

Sunday, April 11, 2010 at 9:10 AM - Response #2

Brad,

Have I missed something, misunderstood something or just misread something?

What's wrong with just not ticking the 'Active' box?

Sunday, April 11, 2010 at 9:43 AM - Response #3

That will work, too. But if you have already used up all of your custom pages, there is a trick that you can add more pages by using SURVEY PAGES and not having any questions in the survey. These pages are only visible to classmates who are logged in.

Brad was answering the question of how to add more pages to your site that do not need to be for logged in classmates only.

Sunday, April 11, 2010 at 10:16 AM - Response #4

Thanks, Kyle.

I've used quite a few Survey Pages as additional pages and was aware of how to because you'd put me wise to it some time ago, but it's also useful to know what Brad was referring to. Up until now I've been using the Survey pages for info that I only want Classmates to see and will probably leave it like that, but it's always nice to know it might not be necessary.

Edited 04/11/10 10:20 AM
Saturday, June 12, 2010 at 9:51 AM - Response #5

Kyle & Mark,

I believe Brad was referring to Gallery Creator not Survey Maker.

It is very useful tip.Cool Not only can you have pages that don’t show but you can have custom pages that due with the ability to sort. Just follow his instructions above.

Brad,
Is there any way to make the editor in gallery creator larger? It is only 2 inches tall.Shocked

Thanks
JB

Saturday, June 12, 2010 at 3:04 PM - Response #6

You got sumthin' against 2 inch editors?

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.