New Topic Subscription Options  

Hackers???

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 11/11/09 10:51 AM Views: 1877 Replies: 9
Wednesday, November 11, 2009 at 10:51 AM

I just had a missing class mate register, but he had is own address - like

me@myname.net

when I went to the "myname.net" it went to the "godaddy" site,

It feels weird. Could someone go into our site, pick a missing classmates name and register using that name? That was they would have access to our class list and info that we really rather not share with non-classmates.

Maybe I'm just paranoid. I sent him back a personal message to see if I can confirm it is he.

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 at 11:16 AM - Response #1

I tried clicking on Joyce Boyce name and put in my email address. The email came back welcoming me as Patte Marshall Michel??? The link took me to your site but can't figure out why it listed the wrong name. Anyway you might want to make Patte missing again if she was.

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 at 11:26 AM - Response #2

No - you probably got the welcome letter from me - I am the web-master. And there was no Joyce Boyce - maybe Joan? And I don't see where a new registration was made. Thanks - apparently it is an easy way to register.

THANKS

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 at 11:29 AM - Response #3

"Hijacking" (as we refer to it here) happens rarely, but it does happen. If you're having an issue with this, just click on your Preferences link and turn on your New Classmate Verification feature. That'll nip the problem in the bud immediately. The feature is fully explained right on your Preferences page where you enable it.

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 at 11:30 AM - Response #4

Sorry Patte you are right I tried the same thing with my site and saw the letter came with my name on it. I didn't sign onto your site as a member just had the email sent to me. But I will give it a try so you can see what happens. My missing classmates can't be viewed unless you are signed on. You might want to click that option if it makes you feel safer. I haven't resorted to prior verification of classmates yet but Brad locked my site down so I feel a lot safer. That might be an option too.

Edited 11/11/09 11:33 AM
Wednesday, November 11, 2009 at 11:34 AM - Response #5

As always - THANKS to Brad - will do

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 at 11:40 AM - Response #6

I signed on as her no problem and can view everything. So unless you verify classmates anyone can sign on and see your personal information just like any other classmate. It's the chance we take if we don't want to verify first.

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 at 11:43 AM - Response #7

I have turned on the verification preference now.

My problem now - how do I move poor Joan Boyce back to missing classmates???

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 at 11:46 AM - Response #8

Just delete her then re-add her. That's the quickest way.

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 at 11:54 AM - Response #9

Thanks - done

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.