ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Upload My Excel Collected Data into Classmate Profiles?

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 04/15/14 12:01 AM Views: 1098 Replies: 12
Tuesday, April 15, 2014 at 12:01 AM

Before I decided to use Class Creator, I captured data in an Excel file for many of our classmates (190 records and growing). The data contained in this file is actually the information we want in each of our CC Profiles.
I have entered the name & email address of each of our classmates, and I have changed the Profile Generator to ask the appropriate questions. Can I upload my collected data into classmate Profiles? It's not the same data contained in the provided Contact Data Template.

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 at 5:30 PM - Response #1

The data upload can only be done upon the initial classmate upload. If done again later, duplicate names would be added. Also, the upload template that we provide on the Manage Classmates > Upload Classmates page, is the file that you need to use. That template cannot be changed (header row) or added to or else an error will occur on upload.

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 at 5:34 PM - Response #2

I didn't think it was possible, but I didn't think it would hurt to ask. Another labor of love headed my way!

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 at 1:51 PM - Response #3

Scott Mastenbrook - Since yesterday, I have been manually entering the profile data referred to in my Tuesday, April 15, 2014 at 12:01 AM post, and I decided to run a test before I went any further.
I entered a test classmate's name & email address on the 'Edit Details' screen, then I manually entered her profile information on the 'Edit Profile' screen. When I joined the site as that test classmate, the manually-entered profile data does not appear under 'Profile Details' on Step 2 of the 'Member Wizard' set up process.
The purpose of my manually entering all of the profile data is to prevent our classmates from having to enter it all again when joining our website since I had to fight tooth and nail to get it from them to begin with.
So why is my manually-entered profile data not showing up during the 'join' process?

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 at 4:45 PM - Response #4

I just did a test on my test site and I do see the admin entered information on step 2 of 4. I do not know why you are not seeing this info.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 at 5:12 PM - Response #5

It's showing as profile info after the new classmate clicks on their name in the class list to join, but then it disappears in step 2 of the joining process and thereafter if they try to edit their profile. I'm baffled...I don't see a setting that I could have wrong affecting this.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 at 5:15 PM - Response #6

This is the only setting regarding the profile that I have checked:
Profile Visibility:       
Block Profile Visibility: Block the public and search engines from accessing my Profile and allow only fellow Classmates to view my Profile details. Leave this box unchecked if you also wish to allow the public (friends, co-workers, family members, etc.) to view your Profile details.

I wouldn't think this would prevent the classmate from seeing their own profile info.

Friday, April 25, 2014 at 1:12 PM - Response #7

I just activated the Profile Privacy override which removes the option for the Profile Visibility (Profile Visibility: Block Profile Visibility: Block the public and search engines from accessing my Profile and allow only fellow Classmates to view my Profile details. Leave this box unchecked if you also wish to allow the public (friends, co-workers, family members, etc.) to view your Profile details.). I removed this because you have created some questions in the profile generator which we would not want to have open and accessible to the internet to find if the member had left their profile visibility set to not block the public.

As for not being able to see their own info, I still do not quite understand how you are seeing this. I have checked and double checked and I cannot recreate this.

Friday, April 25, 2014 at 2:39 PM - Response #8

Scott, I'm a little confused. Is this change in response to my post entitled 'Display of Profile Info - 3 Problems'? where Brad Switzer stated:
"If Classmates Profiles is restricted, and Missing Classmates is not restricted, then the system should take the user to Missing Classmates when the Join Here button is clicked. I tested this on your site and you are correct: for some reason it is not. I am turning this issue over to Programming and will respond back here when I have an answer."
And then he posted:
"Yes, if you leave the Profiles open, but lock down the Classmate Profiles page, and then the glitch is fixed logged out viewers are properly taken to the Missing Classmates page to join, you'll be all set. Should be fixed early this coming week."
Early this coming week has already passed, and I haven't heard back from Brad on this bug fix.
Please tell me if the change you've stated is meant to fix this noted bug.

Friday, April 25, 2014 at 2:48 PM - Response #9

No. The change I made was in reaction to seeing that you have included questions in the profiles that are of personal contact information which we would not want to be open to anyone, not of your class to find. I do not know of the other issue that you were dealing with Brad. I will add Brad to this conversation so he can review as well.

Friday, April 25, 2014 at 2:58 PM - Response #10

The problem I discussed with you will be automatically corrected if the bug fix Brad & I discussed is made.

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 at 5:45 PM - Response #11

Has there been any new activity on this topic of uploading additional data fields to either the Contact or Profile information?

Like others, we have 3-4 more bits of info than the upload allowed - ie: Spouse name, children, occupation, etc. Is there any way to send this info via the upload feature (or even via a direct database link)?

I hate to lose additional data fields - but manually inputting for 500+ classmates would be a bit much. Everyone who registers can update their own Contact/Profile information, but we hate to lose track of that hard-won data.

Thanks.

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 at 6:05 PM - Response #12

This has not been expanded.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.