ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

In Memory

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 03/07/09 04:03 PM Views: 2061 Replies: 17
Saturday, March 7, 2009 at 4:03 PM

Is it possible to change the "In Memory" page to remove the words "Year" and "Classmates"? We do not use the year and it does not look right.
Thanks

Saturday, March 7, 2009 at 4:24 PM - Response #1

I can do one of these two. "Clasmates" is a required heading, because the In Memory page can show Classmates, Guests, and Teachers. It wouldn't make sense to now show the word Classmates, and then show Teachers or Guests if you add them to the deceased page. Technically you are adding Classmates, so they appear under the Classmates heading.

The YEAR UNKNOWN question is an interesting issue. By default we group Classmates by year of death. Typically people like some sense of organization to the page, not to mention that curiosity factor alone, people are going to want to see who has passed away recently, rather than having no idea. That's why we group. But in your case I'm assuming you simply don't know the year of death for many of these Classmates, thus you've opted not to use the field at all.

Solution: If zero Classmates have been assigned a year of death, we'll simply comment out the YEAR UNKNOWN heading. If even 1 Classmate has been assigned a year of death, then we'll show it.

Saturday, March 7, 2009 at 4:43 PM - Response #2

I mentioned this before. To me, if you do not have anything but classmates on the page (like many of us) the word classmates looks funny being there. Isn't there a way to make it optional. Check box to show or not show... or, only show it if there a multiple sections.

Saturday, March 7, 2009 at 5:20 PM - Response #3

We would also vote to see the Year Unknown removed.

It is much easier for us to look up someone by the alphabetized name. We simply put the year after the name.
If we don’t know the year, we just leave it blank.

When someone notices that the year is missing and they know it, they send it to us. Keeps a clean looking list.

The Year Unknown seems cumbersome and makes it more difficult to find a name, unless you happen know the year they passed.

Our 2 cents

Saturday, March 7, 2009 at 6:03 PM - Response #4

Brad you gotta love us!!!

Saturday, March 7, 2009 at 6:08 PM - Response #5

my 2 cents...

leave it as is. i know our classmates like to know the year they lost a friend/classmate. i personally think it gives it a cleaner look if the name is simply listed under the year and not "- xxxx" beside the name. much easier to read.

Saturday, March 7, 2009 at 9:27 PM - Response #6

Joyce Deprest wrote:

Brad you gotta love us!!!

No, as a matter of fact, i do NOT have to! Wink

Ok, long story short, we're going to not show the Classmate heaading IF there are no Teachers or Guests also listed as deceased. We'll also not show the YEAR UNKNOWN heading if zero Classmates have been assigned a year of death. And if they have, then we'll show it.

Saturday, March 7, 2009 at 9:53 PM - Response #7

Brad Switzer wrote:

No, as a matter of fact, i do NOT have to! Wink
AAAHH come on now!!! Smile

Brad Switzer wrote:

Ok, long story short, we're going to not show the Classmate heaading IF there are no Teachers or Guests also listed as deceased. We'll also not show the YEAR UNKNOWN heading if zero Classmates have been assigned a year of death. And if they have, then we'll show it
Thank you!!!

Sunday, March 8, 2009 at 8:04 AM - Response #8

Brad Switzer wrote:

Ok, long story short, we're going to not show the Classmate heaading IF there are no Teachers or Guests also listed as deceased. We'll also not show the YEAR UNKNOWN heading if zero Classmates have been assigned a year of death. And if they have, then we'll show it.

Good compromise! Another alternative would be a reverse of the current process. Instead of grouping by year of death and showing the class year beside the person's name, you could group by class year and display the year of death beside the name. The list could be sorted by last name and then by year of death. Of course, if the year of death is unknown, it would just be blank. Same for Teachers/Guests and single-year sites: sort by last name and then year of death. It seems the "year unknown" sub-heading wouldn't be needed at all.

Just a thought...Angie

Sunday, March 8, 2009 at 10:34 AM - Response #9

I like the idea of sorting by year. Since we have 1,121 on the list it would make it even easier to search. I think that when people go to this list they do it quickly and do not stay on it long. Also, people are looking for people they know and the most people they know are around their years. It would make it a faster process by having a year by year break. On our site you have to look thru all 1,121 names. What I am trying to do know is to grab the obit from the newspaper and even picture if it exists. Also, I am trying to get someone to make a comment on all 1,121 so that we have all Roses on the site. I know the rose will soon show on the "In Memory" list as well as the flag. Is it possible to sort by year?

Sunday, March 8, 2009 at 1:09 PM - Response #10

Yes, it really only makes sense to group deceases Classmates on multi sites by graduating year, I agree. Added to Task List, no ETAs, I've vowed to leave the programmers alone for awhile so we can get some major new features launched.

Sunday, March 8, 2009 at 1:29 PM - Response #11

Thanks! No worries - we're looking forward to the major releases!

Sunday, March 8, 2009 at 1:54 PM - Response #12

Ray Guim wrote:

I like the idea of sorting by year. Since we have 1,121 on the list it would make it even easier to search. I think that when people go to this list they do it quickly and do not stay on it long. Also, people are looking for people they know and the most people they know are around their years. It would make it a faster process by having a year by year break. On our site you have to look thru all 1,121 names. What I am trying to do know is to grab the obit from the newspaper and even picture if it exists. Also, I am trying to get someone to make a comment on all 1,121 so that we have all Roses on the site. I know the rose will soon show on the "In Memory" list as well as the flag. Is it possible to sort by year?

I think the person who was mentioning the alpha sort was also trying to make it easier to find a name. It seems to me people would more likely know the name vs the year, therefore an Alpha sort might make sense. I also agree that the current setup of the page is clean looking and would opt to keep it as is (without the word Classmate). You can go to the person's memory page from the Classmate List, so if someone were looking for someone alphbetically they would be able to find it easily there.

RE: the Rose I also wanted everyone to have a rose; so I post the person's birth date and date of passing on their page and a candle graphic when I set up their page. This also results in a rose.

Sunday, March 8, 2009 at 4:31 PM - Response #13

Or...........would it be possible to let the Admins have a selection on their own site to select "Classmates" or "Year Unknown", by themselves? HHHmmmmmmmmmm......

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 3:55 PM - Response #14

Hi Brad. We used the year of death to put the class year in to make the In Memory fall into class years. How will that be affected by making y'all making this change? Is there something I should do beforehand?

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 5:48 PM - Response #15

Shouldn't affect anything, other than when this change is made that won't be necessary anymore.

Monday, August 10, 2009 at 1:07 PM - Response #16

Brad Switzer wrote:

Shouldn't affect anything, other than when this change is made that won't be necessary anymore.

When do you think this will happen?

Monday, August 10, 2009 at 2:18 PM - Response #17

Not that threaded email is out of the way we're going to hit several tasks pertaining to the In Memory area including this one over the next couple weeks. So this should be up shortly.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.