ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Lost Background Image

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 12/30/09 08:25 PM Views: 2943 Replies: 11
Wednesday, December 30, 2009 at 8:25 PM

Brad,
I substituted a New Years background with the intention of leaving it on a few days. I was planning on going back to my icicle background. When I put the New Years background on, I can't figure out how to retrieve the icicle background and can't find the icicle file I uploaded. I looked in my file vault and couldn't find it. Any suggestions?

Wednesday, December 30, 2009 at 8:42 PM - Response #1

Unfortunately the background image feature is a one shot thing. The system doesn't maintain an archive of former background images or anything like that. When you add a new one, the new one simply replaces the old one. Thus the best option you've got is looking further for your original one, or trying something new altogether.

Wednesday, December 30, 2009 at 8:52 PM - Response #2

Brad, does this mean we can't go back to to previous designs through the archive mode? I was planning to put up a New Year's background, and then go back to snow for the winter. This might change my plan. (Normally I would just try this, but after spending all afternoon trying to get bubbles, I won't take the chance of losing them! Wink

Wednesday, December 30, 2009 at 9:36 PM - Response #3

You can change designs themselves at any time. You can also restore prior pages at any time using your built in page backup feature. The background image though, which is part of the Change Colors page, is unrelated to any of this. If you want to upload previously used background images your best bet is simply saving a copy on your computer. There is only 1 background image at a time and there is no continual background image archive. So definitely keep a copy of something you like that you wish to use again in the future.

Thursday, December 31, 2009 at 8:22 AM - Response #4

Brad,
Can you have separate backgrounds on different links? If so, how do you do it?

Edited 12/31/09 8:23 AM
Thursday, December 31, 2009 at 9:12 AM - Response #5

JUDITH WILLIS wrote:

Brad,
Can you have separate backgrounds on different links? If so, how do you do it?

Judith,

If you are talking about the backgrounds of the of the link pages and NOT the actual links (the text the classmate clicks on), then the answer is YES.

Just insert the following code in the SOURCE window of the content editor for the page you want the different background image.

Just replace the URL inside of the INSIDE SET OF PARENTHESIS - stopping at the right parenthesis after .gif (there are two sets of parenthesis here)

This will replace the background for the whole page.

FYI: if you want to learn some HTML, you can add a background to other elements of your page, too. You can have a specific background for a table, paragraph, table cell, table row, etc. Just Google "HTML Tutorial Background Image"

Edited 12/30/10 9:10 AM
Friday, January 1, 2010 at 12:56 PM - Response #6

Brad,

I have used a custom background image for months on our site. The image is not appearing on the pages during a 'visit'. When I 'edit' the pages, the background is there. I have checked the code and it seems to be okay. I even replaced it with my back up in Notepad. The file that is referenced is in the proper file location and nothing else has changed?

I am perplexed. Oh, by the way..... HAPPY NEW YEAR !

Friday, January 1, 2010 at 1:18 PM - Response #7

And a HAPPY NEW YEAR to you Ben!

Have you been using a custom JavaScript background image on every page? If so make sure the JavaScript background image code is the very last thing on the page, otherwise it might not display.

Or have you been using the Background Image feature under your Change Colors? If so let me know and I'll have a programmer check into this back at the office (I'm in Iowa, brrrr). If you haven't been using this feature try uploading your background image through the Change Colors link. This should place the background image on every single page of your site.

Friday, January 1, 2010 at 1:33 PM - Response #8

Hi Brad,
Actually I have been putting a short HTML code in the individual pages. Like in our "Links to enjoy" page. Code is...

The Change Colors thing sounds new to me,,,, But I just used it and that works fine on the main pages. I still have the issue with the other pages. (Sorry, I am not sure what you call those editable areas). I must be missing something.

Ben (Stay warm)

Friday, January 1, 2010 at 4:10 PM - Response #9

What specific other pages are you referring to?

Friday, January 1, 2010 at 4:38 PM - Response #10

In the editale regions of the various pages I have put a background graphic that is the same as the graphic used on my pages as applied by the Change Colors commands. The background shows up on the pages during the edit mode, but aren't there when I look at the actual pages. They used to show up, and they are there in edit mode.

The "Links to enjoy" page...
The "Old Class Photos" page...
The "I hereby will" page...

Leterally every page that is editable... even all the "In Memory" pages.

Edited 01/01/10 4:40 PM
Friday, January 1, 2010 at 6:05 PM - Response #11

Oh I see what you mean. The body background you're inserting may be read by some browsers. Apparently it was. But I'm sure it also won't be ready by other browsers because we already have a body tag in the code (you can't see it, it's before the code you're able to edit). It's entirely possible some specific browsers may or may not display that based on the version of the browser you're using. An older version might have displayed it while a newer version might not. Your best bet for doing what you're doing though is just putting the content inside of a 1 x 1 table, setting the table border to 0, and then using your background image as the background of the table. That will work in all browsers and browser versions.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.