ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

PC or Mac

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 01/16/09 06:58 PM Views: 1523 Replies: 10
Friday, January 16, 2009 at 6:58 PM

Does it make any difference whether someone is using a Mac or a PC to access our website? One member of our class uses a Mac and can't get on. What should I tell him? I have searched previous postings and have not seen this subject. Hopefully someone with a bit more computer smarts can help.

Saturday, January 17, 2009 at 12:41 AM - Response #1

Hi Cathi, While my primary computer is a PC, we also have a relatively new iMac (Sept '08 ). I have had NO issues with accessing our website with it. I have only been using Safari from the iMac. So far, from the PC, I've tested Internet Explorer (IE), albeit only IE7, Firefox, Chrome and Safari and have had no issues. I suspect there is something other than just being a Mac that is blocking your classmate's access to the site.

Edited 01/17/09 11:02 AM
Saturday, January 17, 2009 at 12:45 AM - Response #2

Thanks Ruth! I'll let him know!

Saturday, January 17, 2009 at 1:14 AM - Response #3

I'm going to take a wild guess: Maybe he doesn't have Flash installed, and he's getting hung up on member wizard step 3 that requires Flash be installed to subscribe to Classmate Profiles. Even if that doens't load though, we've put another button further down the page if he scrolls down a little more to bypass this step, just in case somebody doesn't have Flash (extremely rare these days).

Edited 01/17/09 1:34 AM
Saturday, January 17, 2009 at 1:31 AM - Response #4

Thanks Brad!

Friday, March 27, 2009 at 10:33 PM - Response #5

When I first setup the site for our class I was using Windows XP. Everything worked great. I now have an iMac and I'm having several problems. First, the home page is loading awkward. The playlist is off center and 12" below where it should be and the announcements are twice the size they should be. Secondly, when I try to setup a new survey, the navigation tool bar is completely gone and requires HTML language only. (I can barely spell HTML). My question - is there something I can do - or should I go back to Windows X? Thanks for your help.

Saturday, March 28, 2009 at 12:03 AM - Response #6

Unfortunately I don't have an iMac I can test your site on. I did call up your site in the PC version of Safari and it looks fine. I'm going to take a wild guess and say maybe you have some type of magnified browser view turned on in your iMac Safari. Or oversized text or something like that. I can tell you there's nothing in your code that would be causing this.

FYI, your html editor icons will not show up in Safari until we complete our upgrade of the FCK Editor. Thus for now you are far better off going out to www.firefox.com and downloading the Mac version of Firefox. Your editor will work properly when you do that, and I'm going to bet that all of the other issues you're describing will also be gone when you edit your site with Firefox for Mac. Please give it a whirl and let me know if that solves the problem.

Saturday, March 28, 2009 at 10:30 PM - Response #7

Been there.
Done that.
"FireFIX" is the answer.

Brad,
Remember about two weeks ago I asked about one of our classmates who has an iMac and couldn't register. You gave me some suggestions which I sent on to her. She has lost them, and I, of course, don't remember the instructions. Something about cookies...

Saturday, March 28, 2009 at 10:35 PM - Response #8

Ummmmmmmm. In the last two weeks I've probably answered at least 1,000 questions. Thus I have no clue anymore. But I'm going to make a guess that I told you to tell the Classmate to:

1) Delete browser cookies
2) Shut down browser
3) Open it back up
4) Try logging in again

Friday, April 3, 2009 at 11:13 PM - Response #9

I have a Mac, and have created the website using it. I have absolutely no problems with it, so I doubt it is a Mac problem. I do use Firefox right now for everything to show up correctly.

Friday, April 3, 2009 at 11:48 PM - Response #10

I also strictly use a Mac. Never had any problems. I might suggest that the individual check the Preferences and make sure that they allow Cookies.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.