ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Alumni Website

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 02/09/12 01:30 PM Views: 1526 Replies: 13
Thursday, February 9, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Hello Everyone!

Hope all is well with you guys/gals. I have a question, is it possible to use CC for an Alumni website also? There is about 4 different classes from my school already using the site for their class. We would like an Alumni site. What do you suggest is the best way to do this?

Thursday, February 9, 2012 at 3:48 PM - Response #1

I haven't reviewed all the responses that are on it and don't know if there was a final resolution but the topic you bring up was discussed in this thread http://forums.classcreator.com/messages.cfm?threadid=CBBD2143-926C-DF31-0AE029AC1B4A2BD9

Friday, February 10, 2012 at 3:20 AM - Response #2

Thank you! I have just read ALL the posts in that thread. Great ideas, but nothing posted after April, 2011. We have started an Alumni Association and we have four classes on CC already, with guests from each class on other class sites. I want to create an Alumni Site - totally separate from our class sites, we do not want to combine them. Is this available now? Is it free and does that include the domain name also?

Friday, February 10, 2012 at 5:09 PM - Response #3

Hi Cynthia,

Domain name registration is NEVER free. From anyone. However, I we do offer a deal for alum association sites for the site subscription. If you are doing a collection of single year sites that you want to link to from a master alumni association site, we will provide the master site for free.

Friday, February 10, 2012 at 5:31 PM - Response #4

Okay, I'm not sure that we want to combine our sites as such. We would like to have a site just for alumni, seeing we are just starting this association we have 63 members from various classes that are not necessarily registered with their perspective classes and/or their classes do not have a website. We will be meeting tomorrow to move forward. What will I need to do to move forward?

Friday, February 10, 2012 at 5:52 PM - Response #5

The alumni site would not combine the others, it would just be an umbrella site, with links to all the other sites. If you want to do that, then to move forward, someone will have to step up and take on the role of root admin for the umbrella site. Preferably someone who either has already worked with one of the other sites or has access to someone who has so the learning won't have to be done over again from scratch.

Friday, February 10, 2012 at 11:52 PM - Response #6

Okay. I will initially be the root administrator for this site.

Saturday, February 11, 2012 at 10:28 AM - Response #7

Eric B Bassey wrote:

... However, I we do offer a deal for alum association sites for the site subscription. If you are doing a collection of single year sites that you want to link to from a master alumni association site, we will provide the master site for free.

I was thinking about previous discussion regarding future alumni sites yesterday. You may have answered my question, Eric. So might it be there are two types of alumni sites:

1. A site with links to single year sites, without the benefit of member log-ins.
  2. A site with membership benefits (profiles...), which an admin can add a page of links to single year sites.

From this, I now have questions...

• Does CC 'turn off' the profiles and all for members?
  • What about a teacher profile section, which really makes sense on an alumni site when there are a number of individual class sites?

I'm sure I have more questions, yet they come from thoughts regarding my own school alumni site. I started the site due to the number of alumni from other years wanting to join my class site. Since, a classmate/friend and I have carried the monthly subscription and domain costs. If there is a clear explanation (or one can be written) as to the difference between a free alumni site and my paid site, I'd like to have it.

My requests for volunteers are basically being ignored. I am more than interested in using a 'this or that' type of site as a survey for the alumni to choose to help with the subscription costs or lose some of what the site now offers. As it is, it seems one is copying ideas for her class Facebook group page.

Enough for now. Please feel free to hold your reply until you are back in the office. I can wait. Smile

Have a great weekend!

Saturday, February 11, 2012 at 3:25 PM - Response #8

Wow...this sounds so complicated. I have been given an office in the school for our alumni associatio. I am making a form for all 2012 graduates to capture them now before they graduate and get them in CC now. We have volunteers from 9am to 1pm everyday. Doing data entry, hall monitors and working in the cafeteria. A teacher profile would be nice. Okay I am ready to get this started. Is it ready to be used?

Sunday, February 12, 2012 at 10:03 AM - Response #9

Cynthia Hardy wrote:

Wow...this sounds so complicated. I have been given an office in the school for our alumni associatio. I am making a form for all 2012 graduates to capture them now before they graduate and get them in CC now. We have volunteers from 9am to 1pm everyday. Doing data entry, hall monitors and working in the cafeteria. A teacher profile would be nice. Okay I am ready to get this started. Is it ready to be used?

Hi Cynthia,

Do not let my post confuse you. Go with what you are told by CC. Smile

I read Eric's last reply to you. It reads that you should go ahead. Let us know when you have it set up and we'll check it out.

I'm so impressed with what your Association is doing! IF I could do that at my school, it would make me consider moving back to my hometown!

Monday, February 13, 2012 at 11:33 AM - Response #10

Cynthia,

Just out of curiosity, why on Earth would you be having your 12th graders in 2012 be filling out paper forms and then having someone enter the data manually onto the computer when there are tons of free services where you can set up a simple website with a simple form and have the kids enter the data themselves (on their smartphones or computers either at school or at home if they have them, and on one at the table you have set up if not)? Probably at least 15-20% of the kids in that class probably have the knowledge, skill, and ability to help put that together, and there ought to be at least a few with the interest. Then you'll have all the data gathered into one place, already in digital form.

As for the distinctions between alumni sites, the presumption is that the free site would be a minimal site with general information about the school and/or the association and have links to subscription sites for the individual classes. The current version of our service does not facilitate communication between sites, so teacher membership in class sites is still required for teacher participation in those individual class sites. There would be no advantage to opening the alumni umbrella site to membership/participation.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 at 11:18 AM - Response #11
rebelsbusinessleaguemarch17final.pdf

Okay....thanks for the suggestion about the class of 2012, that makes better since on the data entry side. I do understand the distinction between the sites. So for what we are trying to do, we just need to establish another CC account and call it John Adams Alumni, because we do want it to be a hub for all alumni. Since I have been working at the school and interacting with the students and staff there. I have more alumni wanting to be involved. They are retired and want to be mentors or just help in anyway they can. Their specific class do not have a website, so some of them are guest on my class site. We have purchased cheer-leading uniforms for at least seven girls that could not afford them. I have gotten alumni to attend the basketball games (girls and boys). This has been so exciting for me. I never would have thought that I would be back at my school 37 years later cheering at basketball games with my pom poms (lol) but it has been GREAT! I felt like I was 17 again. My main goal is to get alumni involved without them feeling all we want from them is money. The other thing referring back to the class of 2012....I want them to all ways be proud of their school and where they came from. The class officers have a commitment to keep to their fellow mates and if they realized this now, they will not be years later trying to find their peeps. My class reunion is not until 2014, and until then I'm gathering alumni from all classes. When having events for one class and the numbers are not good, I have a better turnout with 20-30 from 5-6 different classes. I'm not trying to take up a lot of time here, but if it were not for CC I would not be doing any of this! I've started a newsletter, we have two upcoming events and an alumni picnic in August. (see attached)

So, bottom line (and I am always open for suggestions) do you recommend another CC site. I am still new to this, but I am true to it!

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 at 11:28 AM - Response #12
johnadamsalumninewsletterfinal.pdf

Thanks Gwen! I am attaching a newsletter I created for alumni. I get ads now for the upcoming one, they pay $20 for an ad in the newsletter (another way to get a few dollars for ink, stamps, etc.)although it is sent out electronically, there are still some who do not use computers.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 at 1:55 PM - Response #13

Nice

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.