ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Any way to re-arrange order of Member Functions on sidebar?

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 07/15/13 01:11 PM Views: 1555 Replies: 9
Monday, July 15, 2013 at 1:11 PM

I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but I've gotten several requests to have the "Log Out" link at the top of Member Functions instead of at the bottom. There seems to be no way for me to access, edit, or move anything in the Member Functions section, so I'm assuming that's just the way it is with a template web design. Some things I just can't alter. Right?

Monday, July 15, 2013 at 2:05 PM - Response #1

Thanks for reminding me. I agree with you that the logout is in an odd place. That particular logout can't be reordered, but there IS way to do this.

So here's how to add a new log out. This Log Out will always be there though regardless if one is logged in or not. So be sure to password protect it to prevent confusion.Wink

Instructions to add another Log Out:

1. First create a new link - call it Log OutCool
2. Edit the page in HTML mode (3rd button from the right last row of icons). Be sure to use this mode - not source- and leave it in this mode or the editor will never let you edit the page again. If you forget, delete the link and start over.

3. Enter the following in the editor and save

I put a * next to the Log Out to denote PW pages. You don't have to do that. Page is Password protected and that should keep people out of confusionIdea

P.S. You can put this link anywhere you like just like all the other links.

Edited 08/31/13 3:31 PM
Thursday, August 29, 2013 at 10:38 PM - Response #2

Jack, I tried this, following what appeared to be very simple instructions, but it didn't work. When I click on the new Log Out menu item, I get a new page, "Log Out" in red at the top, full menu still there to the left, and the menu items are still functional. Is there a chance that the HTML in the box did not display correctly? Oh, and the HTML button in my editor was bottom row, 2nd from the right.

Edited 08/29/13 10:40 PM
Thursday, August 29, 2013 at 11:19 PM - Response #3

It didn't display exactly as intended since the meta line is all on one line, not 2. But that's not the problem here.

Your log-out.htm does not contain what I showed above. It's actually very weird. This is what your page (Log-Out.htm) contains (doesn't have the regular CC added CSS, etc

You can't do this is regular mode. Has to be in 'html' mode.

Edited 08/29/13 11:21 PM
Friday, August 30, 2013 at 12:16 AM - Response #4

That is indeed weird, and appears to be the end result of my 4th try after the original attempts didn't work, and then deleting the new Log Out page to start over. On the last try, changing the URL= to HREF=http://www.site-name/member_logout.cfm, that's the response I got - a 404. So I gave up for the night and deleted that page too.

And even stranger, at that point when I deleted that Log Out page, (which no longer shows up in Edit Pages), it still shows up in the menu. (bug report submitted)

The first and second attempt was using the instructions and copy/paste of the HTML code in the box, resulting in what I described above. Deleting the page to start over for attempts 2 and 3 seemed to work fine as I started over each time. But the last time things definitely went south.

Edit: Kyle showed me a way to get rid of the bogus menu item by moving any other page to force a reload/refresh.

Edited 08/30/13 12:29 AM
Friday, August 30, 2013 at 1:35 AM - Response #5

html Button is 2nd if there are no backups, otherwise it's 3rd. I used a page with backups for reference. Didn't realize that was thereWink

Btw,it's literally exactly what was shown above. IOW it's the same for all sites (prefixing happens automatically). Yes it is url not href

Edit: If you view source you can see the contents of my "log-out.htm" (note htm not cfm) - includes CC added code, so you need to skip all that to see just the little section shown above. Starts after

Edited 08/30/13 1:39 AM
Friday, August 30, 2013 at 11:58 AM - Response #6

OK, new day, a night's sleep to start things off right, and I've created my "Log Out Test" link per instructions. I'm back to the original description of what happens. But I don't know how or where to view what I need to see.
Looking at the Inspect Element for the site supplied Log Out, I see it's referencing

That makes sense.
For my Log Out Test link, I see

That makes sense too, but since I don't know how or where to view the contents of Log-Out-Test.htm I'm stuck.

Editing the page shows a box containing the HTML that I copied and pasted, and it does match what you supplied. And since it gives me the option to "Switch back to Visual Editor", I translate that as proof that I'm in HTML mode.
From what I can see (and I'm really well past my level of expertise here), it should be workiing. There has to be something simple I'm missing....

Friday, August 30, 2013 at 12:29 PM - Response #7

Your log-out test works for me - it logs me outCool. Same browser too. Could be you have a "open new page" FF setting that I don't have or a setting that restricts redirects, but even then it should log you out. That code is a page "refresh" redirect, so shouldn't open a new page.

The only change is that the "admin" menu items go away. Ssme as other logout.

To see the contents in FF use View Source then find the menu name, then click on the reference and it will open that page in source view.

Friday, August 30, 2013 at 3:59 PM - Response #8

I should have caught that... I do have "Warn me if web sites try to refresh or redirect the page" set in FF. Clicking the "allow" lets it finish the log out - when I notice that the "allow" is there. Wish there was a way to link a menu item directly to the cfm. If I missed the allow button, so will others.

Thanks for all the help.

Friday, August 30, 2013 at 5:43 PM - Response #9

Actually, you brought up an interesting design flaw in CC's menu system. It's restricted to "web" names THEY thought you would have and does not allow other URL names that are not .htm. It would be MUCH more flexible to allow users ANY url - restricted to CC if they like, but at least give me some options here guys - like THIS topicIdea

Don't think that many have browser settings like you have though. I ran my class site with a totally rearranged menu system (before the changes) for a few years using exactly what I just showed youWink Never had a single message from anyone.

IMO although technically a possibility, in reality few users tinker much with browser settings at that level.

Edited 08/30/13 5:45 PM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.