ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

survey

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 12/06/11 10:01 PM Views: 1413 Replies: 9
Tuesday, December 6, 2011 at 10:01 PM

I am using a survey called "Reunion Archive" As you can see I have boxes for the different years. If I make the boxes slightly bigger the start to run under the left hand column. Is there any way to use all the blank space to the right?

Tuesday, December 6, 2011 at 10:21 PM - Response #1

Not sure what you mean. If you mean make the table wider, maybe. Some of the current CC styles can be made any width desired just by increasing a table width. The key is if you can also get the top to also automagically get wider.

Here's an EXAMPLE with a part of your page for our style using a much wider table. I also added padding to the table so the text moves away from the edges. You can make this as wide as you want. Sample is at 1024 (810 table size) to be generically accessible by all regular PC users. Suggest that as a limit.

I did not understand the "start to run under the left hand column" comment since the worst that will happen is that the top stays the same side and the rest still expands.

Wednesday, December 7, 2011 at 11:48 AM - Response #2

Hi Ray,

The content you can place on the page is placed within a larger element containing the entire site content except the background image, and that element has a fixed width. If you set the size of your content larger than the allotted width for user content, it cannot expand past the limit on the right, so it pushes under the navigation area on the left.

To maximize the space used, you might want to go into the Source view and remove any tags outside the tables (boxes) which contain your content, because they could be padded on the sides. IMPORTANT: Tags are paired and nested, and if the opening or closing tag of a pair is removed and the other is not, or if one is inside another pair of tags and one is outside, it can cause unexpected results when the page is rendered in the browser.

Wednesday, December 7, 2011 at 1:48 PM - Response #3

Eric, I don't understand your explanation. If you look at my example you can see that is not what always happens. A larger element inside that is too large typically expands the outer element, not shift it left.

That's how I made all our pages much wider. It's also done by accident a few times on other CC sites (see Christmas thread - now fixed, but it originally went way wide. Same thing has happened on this forum with posts containing "big" stuff).

Does his style have something else besides what you wrote? I never clearly understood the problem (would help to have the page in that state), so perhaps there's some other mistake on the page?

Edited 12/07/11 1:48 PM
Wednesday, December 7, 2011 at 2:03 PM - Response #4

Jack,

I really like your example. I am going to make some time to work on this to make ours like the example.
I am sure between yours and Eric's explanations I will be able to figure it out. If not I will post.
Thank you.

Wednesday, December 7, 2011 at 3:17 PM - Response #5

I actually said that incorrectly. The content will often push to the left first, and then the containing element will push further out to the right if the content size is larger. There is a lot of variability in the code that can determine exactly how this happens and in what order, and it may also vary by browser. Either way, if the content is larger than the space we have allocated to user content, the layout will be adversely affected in one way or another, so the best bet is to limit the size of the content to the available limits.

Those limits are spelled out here: http://www.classcreator.com/faqs.cfm#faqs2-8

Wednesday, December 7, 2011 at 3:43 PM - Response #6

Eric B Bassey wrote:

Either way, if the content is larger than the space we have allocated to user content, the layout will be adversely affected in one way or another,

Eric, that's not true either. The referenced page has several inaccurate statements.

Please look at our site. It is way beyond the referenced limits. I can make it as wide as I like. As I said, the home page is the only one that required a bit of experimenting, but it too worked out fine. Not all formats can do this since the top area varies by style chosen.

There are no adverse affects at all. Just a wider page. I had a big argument starting out with CC when I first started inquiring about why the pages were so narrowTwisted Evil Answer was that it couldn't be done or "complicated" in ways I didn't understand - contrary to the page html I saw being generated which indicated it was easy to do. Hence I made the changes since CC wouldn't changeCool

Don't believe everything you read or are toldWink

Wednesday, December 7, 2011 at 4:39 PM - Response #7

Jack, you can do whatever you want with your own pages. However, just because you know more about how to do something does not mean we want to encourage other people who do not have the same developed skills as do you to do things that are very likely to produce results they do not want and are unable to fix on their own.

If you want to teach Ray how to do something specific, and if he wants to learn, we have no interest in getting in the way, but we do have an interest in trying to reasonably avoid a situation in which Ray does something that causes him problems with his site that he then can't fix. Accordingly, I try to describe as accurately as I can what is likely to happen if he makes the changes we're talking about, but since I'm not spending my time investigating every specific detail of the code on his pages, I may not be giving him absolute specifics about what his page will do.

I'm not trying to lie or mislead, I am merely trying to set reasonable expectations. You are welcome to disagree, but unless you are following through with people and making sure they understand the details of what you're suggesting, I fear that they may simply end up more confused.

Wednesday, December 7, 2011 at 6:36 PM - Response #8

Eric, from your comments, I think there's some misunderstanding on either CC, HTML or both. What I'm describing is NOT complicated and falls well within the normal skills of CC users. Certainly the one that started this topic. The change made to pages with a style like mine is trivial.

Read again very carefully how the change works and also LOOK at the sample page.

You said there would be adverse affects. But that's just not true. I think you need to actually do what I'm suggesting and realize none of this is hard and it solves many problems.

I'll explain it again: All you have to do to make a page WIDER is to use a WIDER table for any page - but only for styles organized like ours. Table properties, width - key in 810. DoneIdea

The home page requires a wider table on the bottom past the side stuff. No more complicated than explaining that images can't be too wide at the top (420 is not exactly correct) otherwise it pushes content down.

Complicated? Absolutely notExclamation

For styles not like ours, the only bad thing is that the top section will not expand. Not exactly a disaster. Try it out and see how simple this is. (Now fixing that is complicated, but possible.)

I've suggested many times to have a section here that discusses topics like this and others that frequently come up.

People want to learn and play outside of the box. Many examples of that. I think you might have been surprised that this works the way it does. Just try it and then you can show people this simple "trick".

Wednesday, December 7, 2011 at 6:41 PM - Response #9

And yes, I follow up on explanations. Usually it's showing how to look at examples and how to use your editor.

Sometimes it's explaining that the CC editor can't do that (it's still missing some basic functions), but it can be done in source mode.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.