ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Keeping profiles private from web searches?

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 09/21/09 11:34 PM Views: 1431 Replies: 3
Monday, September 21, 2009 at 11:34 PM

Hi Everyone - I set up my site a little over a year ago and it was a huge success for our 20 year reunion. I just stumbled on the fact that when I do a Google search for any of our classmates with profiles, I can get directly into those profiles and have access to all info listed as well as photos.
Is there a way to protect this? It seems like you should be directed to the home site for login - but maybe this was an enhanced feature that I missed after setting up the account.
Any help would be much appreciated, as I feel this will be a major draw back if my classmates figure out that it is not secure.
Thanks!

Monday, September 21, 2009 at 11:44 PM - Response #1

You're only getting into restricted Profiles because you're logged in. Log out first and then try accessing this Profile for example:

http://www.dhs88.org/member_login.cfm?type=internal&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Edhs88%2Eorg%2Fclass%5Fprofile%2Ecfm%3Fmember%5Fid%3D108523

You'll see you cannot get in. A more deatiled answer about this issue can be found in our FAQs:

1) Click FAQs above
2) Click Questions About Privacy
3) Read Question #6

Edited 09/21/09 11:45 PM
Tuesday, September 22, 2009 at 11:27 AM - Response #2

Hi Brad -

Unfortunately - that is not the case. If you do a google search for my name Jennifer Chabot -(not logged in to classcreator) you will see that the 11th result is the dhs88.org site and it lets me directly in. I tried this with others names as well and received the same result!

Thanks
Jen

Edited 09/22/09 11:28 AM
Tuesday, September 22, 2009 at 11:31 AM - Response #3

Yes, but that's only because you have a public Profile. Click Edit Profile and restrict it to only fellow site members. Then be sure to click the "Log out" link and repeat your test. You'll see it really does work.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.