ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Reunion Committee Forums

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 08/03/09 05:20 AM Views: 1680 Replies: 8
Monday, August 3, 2009 at 5:20 AM

Hi - we want to create a forum for the committee - but I understand that even password protected site pages cannot block non-committee classmates from participating or viewing.

One option is to have eveyone on the committee join Facebook.

Another is to create a forum - there is a site - myfreeforum.org that also creates forums -

Has anyone created a committee-only forum?

Monday, August 3, 2009 at 8:44 AM - Response #1

If you use your User Forums pages, you can PASSWORD PROTECT them (this is different than a site-wide password). In order to view/participate in the password protected forum, they would need the password.

Monday, August 3, 2009 at 10:22 AM - Response #2

Exactly. The password feature on the User Forums allows you to assign a password ONLY to one specific forum. This password has nothing to do with any other pssword feature in the system. This way you can have a private place just for selected participants to participate.

Monday, August 3, 2009 at 11:33 AM - Response #3

OK - I'll try that

Monday, August 3, 2009 at 1:08 PM - Response #4

Hi - OK - I did password protect the forum - but everyone said they got in with their own password - not the one I assigned. So that means - anyone can get in that is registered on the site? What am I doing wrong?

Monday, August 3, 2009 at 2:57 PM - Response #5

Are you using the new User Forums, or the old Message Forum. If using "User Forums", you can create a new topic and make that topic password protected.

It seems you are still using the old "Message Forums", which does not have this feature.

BRAD!! - I think there is a bug here. I was able to login as a test user and still get into the User Forums. It didn't ask for a password. Is this a cookie issue or are the "Password Protected" topics in the User Forums not password protected anymore?

Edited 08/03/09 3:01 PM
Monday, August 3, 2009 at 4:03 PM - Response #6

You probably both have an administrator cookie set for those forums. Do you have another computer you can login with your test account and see if that account is restricted on the other system.

Monday, August 3, 2009 at 5:28 PM - Response #7

I tried a different computer and it worked as expected, asked for a password and my login password didn't work. It must just be a cookie for the password protected forum.

Monday, August 3, 2009 at 6:16 PM - Response #8

Patte Michel wrote:

Hi - OK - I did password protect the forum - but everyone said they got in with their own password - not the one I assigned. So that means - anyone can get in that is registered on the site? What am I doing wrong?

As Kyle mentioned, make sure you are using the User Forums. If User Forms are not active on your site:

1) Click Edit Site Pages
2) Place a checkmark in the checkbox next to User Forums
3) Follow the directions to set up your forums. Whenever you create a new forum you have the optoin of assigning just that forum a unique password. Only people with the password will be able to gain access to the forum. The password you apply to a forum has nothing to do with any other password in the system. It is strictly for gaining access to the specific forum to which you apply the password.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.