ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Utilizing Inactive Pages for Photos

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 08/19/08 11:54 PM Views: 1843 Replies: 19
Tuesday, August 19, 2008 at 11:54 PM

Greetings Brad and Fellow Forum Members!

Any guidance you may have? . . .

We have run out of links on our site (Nicolet Class of 1973) and would like to add additional photos on the site if possible first.

On our "Edit Site Page", we are not using the 35 year reunion page (which resets itself after the reunion). Is it possible that this page could be recustomized as a page to add additional photos and captions?

Understanding that the Community Photo Pages are in the cards at some point, we have been hesitating on Photobucket, only that the each visitor would be dealing with smaller, thumbnail photos that would have to be enlarged (but not as nice as the sizing is now on classcreator.com. We could also put links to each photo on the message or reunion page to say, photobucket.com, but then we are cluttering up that page which will be continually updated for new announcements. One of our links is a "Memorial Link Page" which we could move to a arbitrary personal profile to free up a link also, but what we can do to create an additional page for photos - perhaps using one we are not using for another purpose?

Thank you for reading.

Best, Bill Edwards
Nicolet Class of 1973 website

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 at 12:14 AM - Response #1

Right now you have 8 customizable links, and that's it. You can not repurpose another link, such as your reunion link, as a customizable link.

In addition to adding community photo galleries later this year as you mentioned, we will also be adding unlimited custom links, and the ability to change all kink names and sort order. For now, for a true gallery a third party solution is best -- until we have our own galleries in place.

Edited 08/20/08 12:16 AM
Wednesday, August 20, 2008 at 8:23 AM - Response #2

I would like to know how you added all of your pictures. They look like fun. I would like to do the same

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 at 10:42 PM - Response #3

What I've done is used iWeb for the Macintosh and created a web site with pictures (any website program would probably work) or an online photo sharing site like Sumgmug. I uploaded the iWeb site to my personal ISP. Some ISP give you X amount of personal storage. Then I just made a clickable link on our class website so far its really worked well.
Here is the page that has the link if your interested is seeing it.
http://www.galluphs1965.com/class_custom1.cfm

Durwood Cline
galluphs1965.com

Thursday, August 21, 2008 at 12:32 AM - Response #4

I would like to know how you added all of your pictures. They look like fun. I would like to do the same?

Hi Iboyd,

Thank you for asking. Essentially, we uploaded the photos from our hard drive (72 dpi photos) to the class creator server. Being that these are digital photos, each photo at the very least needed to be both brightened and sharpened. We did have some camera-shake photos and I had one of my professional photographer friends try and salvage a few of the really blurry ones. The classcreator site is that you get a nice size for each photo without having to upload as a thumbnail and have to click on each one to enlarge. We still have to work out something in the interim until the Community Photo upgrades will evolve.

Best, Bill

Thursday, August 21, 2008 at 12:40 AM - Response #5

Durwood Cline wrote:

What I've done is used iWeb for the Macintosh and created a web site with pictures (any website program would probably work) or an online photo sharing site like Sumgmug. I uploaded the iWeb site to my personal ISP. Some ISP give you X amount of personal storage. Then I just made a clickable link on our class website so far its really worked well.
Here is the page that has the link if your interested is seeing it.
http://www.galluphs1965.com/class_custom1.cfm

Durwood Cline
galluphs1965.com

Hi Durwood,

I looked at your Gallup site and really like it. It is well layed out. It would be interesting to piggy back onto a site such as the one you have to open up a another set of links that I can have additional space for combined prints and copy. I very much like the way the photos are presented on classcreator.com without having to enlarge each with thumbnails. The iweb is a good possibility to consider also, especially for web space. I do have another website set up in Wordpress but don't think the photo format would work there. What I am trying to determine, is how I can get a sub-page from an established link to put additional text and photos combined. I don't think that is possible in Photobucket, and don't know much about Twitter - perhaps Sungmug may have some possibilities as a second link/supplementary to classcreator?

Best, Bill

Sunday, November 2, 2008 at 6:39 PM - Response #6

You can also use survey pages to add to your pages, create a survey page with whatever title you want and then in the instructions section write whatever you want, including pictures and when asks for questions don't ask any Smile
This is a workaround until the system upgrades to more customizable links.

Monday, November 3, 2008 at 12:25 AM - Response #7

And it's purdy darned creative too! Hats off to Hank for that one, who as far as I know is the only one who figured that out. Hey, if you can beat the system, I say have at it. Smile

Monday, November 3, 2008 at 12:34 AM - Response #8

It's a work around at best, the survey pages always appear above other links, so if you use them for video games (like I did) they will appear higher than important links. So for now I deactivated them and once you deactivate them they cannot be linked to. I tried to set up one survey called games and then link the other 4 pages from the main games page and deactivated the 4 with the individual games and the links went dead from the main game page. Not sure I described that clearly. I know the threaded boards and the add another page button are coming... And I can barely wait! The class site is already pretty good, with those additions and the integrated chat it will be only better. Thanks Brad and crew!

Friday, January 30, 2009 at 12:34 PM - Response #9

Hank, your picture pages look great! Very Happy I imagine you are using tables to get pictures in 2 columns, uniformly even and separated with white space?

Would you mind sharing any special tricks or difficulties you encountered?

Thanks!
Terry

Friday, January 30, 2009 at 12:49 PM - Response #10

I setup up the table in FrontPage and then copied code and pasted it into the Source, then I left the source and posted the pics using the picture upload, tedious but it works Smile once they are on the page you can drag them around and drop them into any box so you can rearrange them as often as you want.

Edited 01/30/09 12:50 PM
Friday, January 30, 2009 at 2:56 PM - Response #11

Thanks Hank! I don't have FrontPage (yet), but I went ahead and took a stab at putting pictures into a table right in the editer. I even put the Survey questions to use at the bottom of the page.

The URL is: http://www.fhhs79.com/member_dosurvey.cfm?SurveyID=5258
You can view it if you wish by logging into our guest account with:

Email: guest@fhhs79.com
Password: sneak-a-peek

Thursday, February 19, 2009 at 9:10 AM - Response #12

Hi Hank,

I tried using a Survey page for additional site material like you said but, as I obviously don't want to add a question, the words "Survey not available" appears on the finished page.

Is there a way to remove this or am I just too late and the team have now prevented use of the survey pages for this purpose.

I'd be grateful for help and advice.

Thanks,
Mark

Thursday, February 19, 2009 at 9:30 AM - Response #13

I hadn't noticed that my Survey pages being used for non-surveys have the "Survey Not Available" at the bottom, but mine do too. It isn't that big of a deal and I don't mind it.

I can still use the page but the text "Survey Not Available" will always appear at the bottom of the text.

Edited 02/19/09 9:31 AM
Thursday, February 19, 2009 at 9:37 AM - Response #14

Thanks, Kyle. I suppose I could live with it but I'm sure someone else on my site will ask the question!

Thursday, March 19, 2009 at 8:33 AM - Response #15

Mark Foulsham wrote:

Is there a way to remove this or am I just too late and the team have now prevented use of the survey pages for this purpose.

I posted this solution in another forum:

HINT: To get rid of that annoying "Survey not available" message, add one survey question to your page - it doesn't matter what you add (because it won't be visible). Then add the following to the HTML content of the page:

To do this, click the SOURCE button and then copy/paste the above text. This will change the display of the dashed box that the survey displays inside - it will make it display as hidden on the page. This will include EVERYTHING INSIDE OF THE DASHED BOX, TOO. So the dashed box and the survey contents will be hidden from view - nothing to click on.

The reason you need to add a survey question is because the dashed box doesn't appear unless there is a survey.

I have tried this on IE and FireFox, and it works. I don't know about other browsers.

Remember that a survey is only visible to classmates/guests that are logged in.

Edited 03/19/09 8:33 AM
Thursday, March 19, 2009 at 10:22 AM - Response #16

Thanks for taking the time to come up with that Kyle.
That's going to come in handy.
Mark

Thursday, March 19, 2009 at 12:32 PM - Response #17

Quote:

You can also put in a font statement at the bottom of your code setting the color to white (FFFFFF). It "prints" but in white, the same color as the background, so you cannot see it.

Edited 03/19/09 12:32 PM
Thursday, March 19, 2009 at 1:29 PM - Response #18

Thanks. I like that solution better than mine.

Monday, April 20, 2009 at 2:28 PM - Response #19

What exactly would the code be for a font statement to get the font in white, besides the FFFF? Isn't there a "sentence" in code that goes along with that? Thanks for helping!
Sue

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.