ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Background color of Tables

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 07/16/10 08:19 PM Views: 2555 Replies: 27
Friday, July 16, 2010 at 8:19 PM

How do I change the background color in tables? I see it on different sites so I know I am missing something. Primarily on Announcements.

Rockie

Friday, July 16, 2010 at 8:46 PM - Response #1

To enter table edit mode either right click the border of the table and then go into edit mode, or left click the table to select it, and then click the table icon again on the editor task bar. Once in edit mode you can set the background color.

Friday, July 16, 2010 at 10:17 PM - Response #2

I must be missing something. I followed your directions and get the table settings but no option to set the background color.

Rockie

Friday, July 16, 2010 at 11:24 PM - Response #3

In order to set the background color of a table you need to make sure that your cursor is inside the table and the table can not have any extra line spaces. Right click and then click on Cell properties, a new window opens and on the bottom right click background color and choose your color. I'm pretty sure I have this right, hope it works for you.

Ava
www.terralinda72.com

Saturday, July 17, 2010 at 5:21 PM - Response #4

What was missing was to edit Cell properties rather than the table itself. Your latest instructions solved the problem...Thanks.

Rockie

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 at 11:38 AM - Response #5

Is there a way to change the border color of a table? If a classmate passes away I put up a table with a large border having 1 row and two columns in which I enter the yearbook photo and a current picture. I'd like to make the border black.

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 at 11:59 AM - Response #6

Fred,

In the page editor, double-click on the table, then select the Advanced tab in the Table Properties panel that comes up.

The lower left field is called "Style" and in that field it says "width: 250px". I changed it to say "width: 250px; border-style: solid;".

See the image HERE.

Edited 01/08/13 12:00 PM
Tuesday, January 8, 2013 at 12:19 PM - Response #7

Thanks Eric. Looks great once I remembered to switch to compatibility view.

I just bought a new computer with Windows8 and IE10. It is a real challenge. One would think if a site was selected to be viewed in compatibility view that it would be henceforth. Not so. Once the browser is closed that selection disappears and has to be made all over again every time the browser is reopened. Just one of several "bugs" that I'm running across.

Appreciate your rapid response.

Fred

Friday, July 26, 2013 at 3:11 PM - Response #8

I want to add a background color for a table that I created for my home page announcements, but I cannot figure out how to do it. I found this thread and followed the instructions in Ava’s post above, but when I right click within the table, I see Insert Cell Before, Insert Cell After, Delete Cell, but no Cell Properties. I am using W7, IE 10.

Jim

Friday, July 26, 2013 at 4:18 PM - Response #9

Darn that IE10. Okay, take a look at this Jing video.
http://screencast.com/t/jurR7zEP4Zh

In short, you need to open the Developer Window (F12) and change your settings to Browser Mode IE9 and Document Mode IE9 Standards.

Friday, July 26, 2013 at 6:46 PM - Response #10

Then again, Jim... you could use Firefox to work on your sites. Just a suggestion. Wink

Friday, July 26, 2013 at 7:36 PM - Response #11

Scott,

Thanks for the video. It explained it very well.

I was hoping to match my primary site color by entering the color code, but apparently, I am limited to the colors shown on the chart.

Jim

Friday, July 26, 2013 at 8:02 PM - Response #12

Jim,
Was there an option under the colors "MORE COLORS"? If so, click on it.

Saturday, July 27, 2013 at 1:41 AM - Response #13

Gwen,

There is no “More Colors” option, but after playing around for a while, I figured out a way to get any color I want if I have the six character code. I am posting the steps below for the benefit of others.

Follow the steps in Scott’s Jing video above and when you get to the Select Color window, click on any color and the color and its code will appear. Modify the code, then click OK, then OK again. Entering a code directly without first selecting a color did not work for me.

If you don’t find the exact color that you want in the Select Color window, you can find more colors and their codes by clicking on Change Design under Admin Functions, then scroll down the Design page to Site Colors. Click on a box to the right of the codes to display more colors. Click on a color to reveal its code.

If anyone has a simpler way to do this, please post it.

Jim

Saturday, July 27, 2013 at 12:45 PM - Response #14

As pirates say, AAARGH! I know, I should have opened IE to see what you see, Jim. Sorry, I did not. I had so many problems with IE, I left them on the side of the road. Every now and then, I pass by... take a look and move on.

Long ago, my late-ex-husband tried to get me to use Firefox. I was absolutely, positively NOT going to use Firefox. Not then. Not ever. Well, whatever comes after 'ever' came a few years ago. Cool

Edited 07/27/13 12:47 PM
Monday, July 29, 2013 at 5:21 PM - Response #15

Jim, locate the hex code for your background color on your Change Design page. Then look at the source code for your table and add the hexadecimal number to the table cell.

Monday, July 29, 2013 at 5:49 PM - Response #16

Thanks Scott, but help me understand how that differs from what I posted above on July 26 at 10:41 PM, my time? That would be July 27 at 1:41 AM, your time.

(Gee, I wish I could convince your guys to number the posts for easier reference like you do on the Message Forum.)

Monday, July 29, 2013 at 8:18 PM - Response #17

Try this LINK

Reply to post 17 (If I counted correctly)

Monday, July 29, 2013 at 11:58 PM - Response #18

Thanks Jack, that is a handy tool to have around. I just wish it had an eye dropper so that I could sample colors from other sites, then bring them back to this site to get the codes.

You counted the post correctly. I had to count them to verify. To bad that CC does not number the posts.

Jim

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 at 12:21 AM - Response #19

Laughing Jim. Keep mentioning the counted posts. Write it enough ... you never know. Then again, you can Jack could just number your own posts.

My number is 20, right?
Cool

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 at 12:31 AM - Response #20

Yes, eye dropper would be cool.

And here's a tool you can download that does just that

LINK

Once launched:

1 Move cursor over the icon for program in system tray.

2. Press the left mouse button (while over the icon) and now move the cursor over the area where you want to copy the color. The color is displayed for that area in real time.

2 Release the left mouse button. That automatically puts the color code in the system "copy" buffer.

If you now paste (ctrl+V) into an editor, it pastes the color code in hex (or whatever you select).

To close the program, look in system tray, then right click and select Exit. (Program is otherwise "invisible" so only look for it in the system tray area:ideaSmile

Graphic editor and eye dropper is another way to get the code.

Edit: There's another nice little color tool on the left side. I've tested both of these. Pretty nice stuff but the 2nd tool is 30 day trial $10. Oh well.

Edited 07/30/13 12:38 AM
Tuesday, July 30, 2013 at 12:33 AM - Response #21

I can only count to 20Rolling Eyes

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 at 1:20 AM - Response #22

Whoa, this one is all of the above and even more. Totally awesome LINK

Like the other tool, left mouse click the eyedropper tool and hold the left mouse button down and move the cursor (eyedropper) anywhere on your computer screen. Displays in real time. Set the magnification to see individual pixels easier.

And it's free. I think I'll donate on this one though.

Edited 07/30/13 1:21 AM
Tuesday, July 30, 2013 at 9:30 AM - Response #23

Yes, Gwen, you were #20 (I had to count to make sure). At least for this thread, references to the later posts will be a bit easier.

Jim

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 at 9:36 AM - Response #24

Jack, thanks for finding this tool. I'll check it out later after I finish upgrading my site.

Jim

Sunday, August 4, 2013 at 3:50 PM - Response #25

My left and top borders are not solid? Why?

Thanks.

Sunday, August 4, 2013 at 8:21 PM - Response #26

Hope,

Your border looks solid all the way around to me. I assume you fixed the problem.

Jim

Sunday, August 4, 2013 at 11:12 PM - Response #27

Ah Jim, you did not # your post. Wink

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.