ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Classmates who don't use computers

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 12/12/10 09:28 PM Views: 1271 Replies: 6
Sunday, December 12, 2010 at 9:28 PM

Hi. I've just started putting together our class website, and have run into a glitch. We have 3 classmates (that we know of) who don't use computers. But we do have contact information for them, and want to show them as members. I have filled out basic information on each of them, but only 2 of the 3 show up on the Classmates Profiles list as members of the site. I did the same entries for all three of them, and am puzzled why I can't get the one to post.He shows up when I click his name under Profile Updates, but not when I click his name under Classmates Profiles. The member who does not show up is Jack Gee. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Alice

Monday, December 13, 2010 at 10:15 AM - Response #1

In some cases, these classmates may not own a computer, but will log on from time to time from a family member's computer or from a community center / library. For these people, suggest that they register for a free email account through gmail so they can log in and create a profile. If you know these members will never log in, you could also, potentially, do the same thing, and sign up for a free email account, and then join the site as that classmate for them. Of course, you should let others know that direct messages to these classmates will go unanswered since you know they will never log in.

Monday, December 13, 2010 at 12:20 PM - Response #2

Hi Scott,
Thanks for your response. I have been told that these 3 people don't use computers at all, but can suggest a free email account to the reunion committee member who has provided this information, and we can do that if we think it's appropriate. However, if they never use that email account to send or receive mail, it might be misleading.

However, my real question is why 2 of the 3 people who I created "mini" profiles for show up on the Classmates Profiles list as registered (green check after their names), while the 3rd one (Jack Gee) does not. If I click his name on the Profile Updates list, he shows up with the "mini" profile I created for him, but if I click his name on the overall Classmates Profiles list, he is shown as not having joined the site (no green check after his name).

So, why would the "mini" profiles I created for all 3 people result in only 2 of them showing as joined on the Classmates List?

Thanks,
Alice

Monday, December 13, 2010 at 3:20 PM - Response #3

Who are the first 2 so I can compare? I believe this has to do with not having an email address assigned to the profile.

Monday, December 13, 2010 at 3:55 PM - Response #4

Hi Scott,

The first 2 are Bob Walters and Patrick A Morse. Neither of these profiles have email addresses.
Alice

Monday, December 13, 2010 at 4:19 PM - Response #5

Oh, I see.... the check means Contains profile information (see the legend at the top of the page.) Add something to their profile (not just the details) and the check should appear.

Monday, December 13, 2010 at 5:02 PM - Response #6

I did that on all three. See the answers filled in to the last profile question: "Any other questions?" Plus I added "Not Known" to the telephone number box for Jack. But it still wouldn't show Jack as registered, so I entered this question in the forum to ask for some help from you guys.

But...I just noticed that Bob and Patrick have spouse names and Jack doesn't. So I put "Not Known" in the spouse box and, guess what, now he shows up with the green check mark! Crazy what works sometimes. Guess the programming looks for an entry in the spouse box, or possibly entries in a minimum number of spaces, or something like that, at least in this case.

Thanks for working with me on this. So far I'm getting a lot of positive comments about the website and I certainly appreciate how it's been put together. This is the only thing (so far) I haven't been able to figure out.

Alice

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.