ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

How can I post a running number of updted classmates?

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 03/06/09 02:02 PM Views: 1303 Replies: 7
Friday, March 6, 2009 at 2:02 PM

First off, Class Creator is off the hook!! I really enjoy it and the memberss of my multi-class really like it, they seem to get the notion that I did the work, I try to tell them thatthey actually did the work in whatthey requested on the site (Class Creator rolled up it Cyber sleeves and well Poof There it was. I am still in my infancy in setting it up with all thebells and whistles.!

Now here is my question. How can I post a running number of updted classmates on my HOME PAGE wher Ican say, something like, "You are one of 350 of the 3000, where are the rest?" and the first number is linked to the total number of Updated Profiles.

Friday, March 6, 2009 at 4:05 PM - Response #1

"Off the hook." Thank you, we'll take that. Smile

You can't do what you're asking for currently. At least not in an automated way. One thing we are going to add though is optional right hand modules that will display the size pie charts you see on your Statistics page. This will give people an idea of what's happening on the site in terms of membership. Once we launch these pie charts we'll be open to further enhancing the modules based on whatever else people want/need.

Edited 03/09/09 4:46 PM
Friday, March 6, 2009 at 4:21 PM - Response #2

Brad,
We are also enjoying your websitefeatures.
Put our website on the list that would also like to see this!
Thanx,
Dennis Lindsey

Sunday, March 8, 2009 at 5:38 AM - Response #3

It just seems that if you take the total number from the last log-on column that would be your running count of classmates. Sorry, but I am an old Excel and Basic Programmer from way back (the computer just loves to count!) But I think that now with all of the GUI'S it does not get to do what it used to do.

Sunday, March 8, 2009 at 7:53 AM - Response #4

Hey Brad,

I don't know if this is possible, but it is an idea. When we compose the automatic e-mails, there are certain "variables" we can use to insert that text into the e-mail. Maybe there can be other "Variables" that can be inserted into the Content Area or Announcement Area when that content is retrieved from the database.

For example:
$first_name$ - inserts the first name of Classmate. This would only work on a LOGGED IN CONTENT to customize the webpage for them

$total_classmates$ - inserts the total number of classmates

$total_logged_in$ - the total number of classmates currently logged in

$total_classmates_registered$ - total of REGISTERED classmates

... You get the idea...

Then the above message that is desired would be inserted when the page is loaded from the database as:

"You are one of $total_classmates_registered$ of the $total_classmates$, where are the rest?"

Sunday, March 8, 2009 at 11:02 AM - Response #5

Although the idea is certainly plausible, I'm relucant to add something like that to the system just yet because:

1) My hunch is only a small percentage of people will use it.

2) It adds complexity to a very important part of the system, which is basic editing. When you're brand new on Class Creator it's hard enough to go into the Edit Home Page area the first time and figure out how everything works. Every level of complexity we add makes it that much harder for the newer users to understand everything. I think it makes sense and currently fits nicely the way it's integrated into Preferences, but adding to basic editing comes with that much more documentation on the page, etc.

Having said that, I'm not opposed to some type of "Advanced Mode" in the future that skilled users could turn on, allowing them to do all kinds of cool new things that the basic mode wouldn't include. That would keep the system usable for newer users, and as they become more skilled they might want to take a peek at Advanced Mode and see what else can be done. We're talking well down the road for such a thing though, as we've got enough "regular things" on the plate currently to keep us busy this entire year.

Good suggestions, thanks.

Edited 03/08/09 11:03 AM
Monday, March 9, 2009 at 3:44 PM - Response #6

Hey Brad, I am so new at this and just by exploring my site (i.e. the Statistics) I was able to get the information I was looking for without going and counting all the recent logons.

So again, forgive my "newness!"

Class Creator is getting me atta-boys from all over,

I am on a quest to try and locate the better part of the 3000 who have come and gone over the years from our 'first ten-years,' of the 3000, I now have approximately 1500 names and I just started, a week ago. The response from the people is sometimes overwhelming, especially when they report the passing of someone I knew closely.

Over all, this was the best spent money yet!!

Again thanks to you and all those there in the background!!

Monday, March 9, 2009 at 4:40 PM - Response #7

Thanks much Terry, 'preciate that. Smile

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.