ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Verification Notification

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 01/15/09 05:36 PM Views: 2743 Replies: 11
Thursday, January 15, 2009 at 5:36 PM

When a new classmate signs up, does an email get sent to the Root Administrator letting them know that there is a classmate that needs to be verified?

Thanks!

Edited 01/15/09 5:43 PM
Thursday, January 15, 2009 at 7:57 PM - Response #1

Yes Smile

Saturday, January 17, 2009 at 11:23 AM - Response #2

Jessica,

We are just getting our site started and a few people have joined the web site. As root administrator, I expected to get an e-mail to notify me that I need to verify them. However, I did not get an e-mail. In preferences, I have checked "Welcome Message" and after verifying the people they did not received a welcome message. Is there something I need to do to make sure these e-mails get generated? Thanks.

Saturday, January 17, 2009 at 1:01 PM - Response #3

The emails all went out.

Let's start just with your email and figure out what's happening there. First, check your spam or junk email folder and see if the emails went there. Have you whitelisted postmaster@classcreator.net? Do you get other emails from postmaster@classcreator.net? Finally, please go to your home page and in your Missing Classmates box enter your own email address, generating an invitation to yourself to join your own web site. After doing this I need you to tell me if you got the email. If you don't get it, we'll need to check with your email provider and determine if they are filtering email at a higher level, or why exactly email from us is not getting into their network.

Our system only sends emails that Admins or Classmatse intentionally send themselves. Unfortuantely this doesn't stop us from winding up on gray lists from time to time. It's rare, but it seems to happen sometimes. Should that wind up being the case here we'll have to figure out where the block is and get it resolved. We haven't had an email issue yet that we couldn't resolve. If you're test email doesn't show up, it's just a matter of tracking it through to your provider and finding out where the problem is.

Saturday, January 17, 2009 at 1:02 PM - Response #4

Oh by the way, before running your test put in an alternate email address too. If you don't have one, get a free email account at hotmail or gmail. Then run your test. Then let me know which of the two email boxes did or didn't receive the email.

Edited 01/17/09 1:03 PM
Saturday, January 17, 2009 at 1:44 PM - Response #5

Thanks Brad,

Using the missing Classmate box I sent 1 email to my gmail account and it came through fine. I also sent messages to 3 different accounts that use my isp hughes.net. None of them have arrived.

There is nothing in my junk email folder. I'm not sure what you mean by whitelisting postmaster@classcreator.net. If you mean blocking that address -- no I have not done that.

I thought I tested some of this in December 2008 by using a classmate we have not found in 50 years. I put one of my hughes email addresses in her profile and I got a welcome email. It is from postmaster@classcreator.net so I believe it was working OK at that time.

I have not changed ISPs and as far as I know Hughes has not made any changes.

Thanks for helping to track down the problem.

Saturday, January 17, 2009 at 1:47 PM - Response #6

I forgot to mention something I noticed when I was making the test using Missing Classmates box. When pressing Enter after entering the e-mail address instead of using the Send Invite button, the page freezes.

Saturday, January 17, 2009 at 1:54 PM - Response #7

Weird, you're right. I'll have this fixed Monday.

Edited 01/17/09 1:54 PM
Saturday, January 17, 2009 at 1:58 PM - Response #8

Joyce Wood wrote:

Thanks Brad,

Using the missing Classmate box I sent 1 email to my gmail account and it came through fine. I also sent messages to 3 different accounts that use my isp hughes.net. None of them have arrived.

There is nothing in my junk email folder. I'm not sure what you mean by whitelisting postmaster@classcreator.net. If you mean blocking that address -- no I have not done that.

I thought I tested some of this in December 2008 by using a classmate we have not found in 50 years. I put one of my hughes email addresses in her profile and I got a welcome email. It is from postmaster@classcreator.net so I believe it was working OK at that time.

I have not changed ISPs and as far as I know Hughes has not made any changes.

Thanks for helping to track down the problem.

For more info on email and whitelisting, click on our FAQs above and then click Questions About Email.

I think Hughes has in fact made changes. I think for some reason they are blocking emails from postmaster@classcreator.net from entering their network. I think that's the whole problem here. Thus I need you to call your provider and ask them EXACTLY why email from postmaster@classcreator.net is not being permitted to enter their netowrk. They will know. I may have to call too, but please make the first call to them -- you are a paying customer and they'll have to talk to you and tell you what's happening. My guess is they've done one of these two things:

1) Blocked email from "postmaster" from any email address. We may have to switch our outgoing address, I've heard this reported a couple other times recently.

2) Hughes subscribes to some email gray list and we're on it. I need to know right away if that's the case, and what list it is, so I can get us off of it. We've never had a gray list we couldn't get off -- unfortunately with up to 100,000 emails going through our system every single day, some of them can be misidentified as spam and we end up on lists like this. Like I said it's rare, but with this volume of email going through every day it happens sometimes.

Edited 01/17/09 2:01 PM
Saturday, January 17, 2009 at 2:51 PM - Response #9

I got in touch with Hughes without much success. I got bumped up to the second level of support and that person was not very helpful either -- but, his English was better. Anyway, he said hughes does not block any email addresses. He said Tucows provides email services for Hughes so I assume that is where it is getting blocked.

This was the first time I have had to call Hughes support in the 2 years we have had their service. I can't believe how poor it is considering the high cost. If we lived where I could get cable or DSL I would drop it in a heartbeat.

If you can't get this resolved I could change my email address to my gmail account.

Saturday, January 17, 2009 at 2:54 PM - Response #10

Go ahead and use gmail for now so you're getting your emails. I've asked Jessica to take this up directly with Tucows on Monday to see if we can get to the bottom of this.

Saturday, January 17, 2009 at 4:18 PM - Response #11

Thanks. Will change email to gmail for now.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.