ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Linking to an Anchor on a different Page?

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 01/05/12 03:37 PM Views: 1826 Replies: 17
Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 3:37 PM

I have all my Home Page text basically in one large announcement. I have additional content on the bottom of the Home Page (not in the announcement. Can I link to an anchor outside of my announcement which would target the bottom of my Home Page? I tried to do it and I didn't see the anchor name.

Thanks.

Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 4:42 PM - Response #1

It can be done, but must be done manually or by trickery.

On you HOME PAGE, you already have the anchor you want to go to. Since the announcements are not on the home page when you edit them, they don't know about the anchors on the home page.

Edit Site Pages, Edit Home Page.
Type "Link to Home Page" or whatever text you want in your announcement that will become the link to the anchor
Select the "Link to Home Page" text
Click on the LINK icon (3 from right on 2nd row)
Choose the Link to Anchor option and choose the anchor you want to link to.
Save the link
Click on SOURCE button
Search for "Link to Home Page" text.
Select the anchor codes before and after and all of the text between.
Copy the HTML
Now DO NOT SAVE your changes to the home page
Click on POST ANNOUNCEMENT left-side link
Edit your announcement
Click SOURCE
Search for where you want the link to anchor to be and PASTE the HTML codes.
Save your announcement.
View your home page and click the link to see if it takes you to the anchor.

Friday, January 6, 2012 at 12:25 PM - Response #2

OK, I tried many times to get this right and failed. Very confusing so I will state what I'm trying to do again in hopes that I can somehow do this.

I have an Announcement on my Home Page and some text at the top called 'Weather'. I would like to create a link (from Weather) to an Anchor at the bottom of my home page.

How to I do this without getting a brain cramp?

Thanks again Kyle and sorry for being such a pain.

Friday, January 6, 2012 at 12:31 PM - Response #3

It's done for you now. I created an ANCHOR on the home page called "Pittsfield_weather", then edited the SOURCE of the announcement and changed the link to go to "Pittsfield_weather"

Friday, January 6, 2012 at 1:12 PM - Response #4

Thanks for helping with that problem Kyle... much appreciated.

Friday, January 6, 2012 at 1:13 PM - Response #5

You're welcome. Sorry my steps weren't very clear.

Friday, January 6, 2012 at 8:42 PM - Response #6

You need to reduce it to 3 stepsVery HappyVery HappyVery Happy

Friday, January 6, 2012 at 8:48 PM - Response #7

go ahead

Friday, January 6, 2012 at 9:02 PM - Response #8

step 1 :Type "Link to Home Page" or whatever text
step 3: You are done

See SouthPark Underwear gnomes for how this worksShocked

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 at 9:13 AM - Response #9

Kyle, are the steps the same if you want to link to an anchor on a page OTHER THAN the home page? I want my announcement to go to a paragraph on another page. I followed your instructions (I think) but it doesn't work. But how can it? The entire html code I copied is missing a URL: text

Can I just put the URL in front of #Profile_Privacy anchor ref?

Thanks!

UPDATE: I tried adding the URL. Now it goes to the page, but still doesn't land on the anchor.

Edited 03/20/13 9:15 AM
Wednesday, March 20, 2013 at 9:28 AM - Response #10

Terry,

I think you had a SPACE in the anchor and an UNDERLINE in the link. I deleted both the SPACE and the UNDERLINE and now it works. It is now #ProfilePrivacy

If you have other links that I didn't find, you will want to change them, too.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 at 9:41 AM - Response #11

Ha! And I should know better having once worked at the domain registry InterNIC! My brain must be tired...

Thanks for fixing it, Kyle. Works perfectly now! Very Happy

Saturday, March 25, 2017 at 7:16 PM - Response #12

OK, I've just run across this thread 4 years later, and had a hard time understanding it. If I've got it right, it's going to look like: http://www.classcreator.com/YourSchool-YourTown-Year/Your-Page-Two-Name.htm#AnchorName1

Where # and the anchor name are added at the end of the "Go to this page" URL.

Different people understand in different ways, I hope that the following will be helpful if you need more direction.

I want to place a link on one page (Page One), and go to a Specific Location (not the top of the page) on a different page (Page Two).

Edit Page Two
place the anchor and name the anchor, but Do Not use a space in the anchor name. Let's call it AnchorName1. Remember this name.

Save and Leave this page.

Go to Page One and type your "Go to Page Two Text"
Highlight it and click the Link Icon
in the URL Box, paste the Page Two URL
add the pound symbol and Anchor Name at the end of the URL

When you paste the URL, it's going to look like this:
http://www.classcreator.com/YourSchool-YourTown-Year/Your-Page-Two-Name.htm

What you're going to do is add the # symbol and your Anchor Name so that it looks like this:
http://www.classcreator.com/YourSchool-YourTown-Year/Your-Page-Two-Name.htm#AnchorName1

If you'd like it to open in a New Window, click the "Target" tab at the top of the Link Page and select it. Click OK when done.

Verbose Explanation:

Go to the Edit Page for Page Two, find the place on that page where I want to place the anchor (the Go to This place "Anchor") and click the Flag icon (2nd row, right end) and name the anchor, but Do Not use a space in the anchor name. Let's call it AnchorName1. Remember this name.

Save and Leave this page. You will still be on the Edit Screen. If Page Two is not active, make it active for a minute or so, scroll the Edit Page up and you should see the newly active page link. Right Click the Link and select Open Link in a New Window. Go to the new window and copy the URL for that page. Click back to the Edit Page and clear the Make Page Active box if you don't want it active yet. (The URL link will now take you to the page, regardless of IF it is active or not).

Go to Edit Page One. Find the place you want to place the link that will take people to Page Two. Type the text, such as "Click Here to go to Page Two." Highlight the desired link text, and click the Link Icon (second row, 3rd icon from the right end, the Chain Link Icon). This will open the Link Dialogue Box. Click in the URL box, right click and select Paste (or Control V to paste). NOW, remember the Anchor Name you originally selected? Enter the pound symbol # and the Anchor Name in the URL BOX at the end of the URL you just pasted into it with no spaces.

When you paste the URL, it's going to look like this:
http://www.classcreator.com/YourSchool-YourTown-Year/Your-Page-Two-Name.htm

What you're going to do is add the # symbol and your Anchor Name so that it looks like this:
http://www.classcreator.com/YourSchool-YourTown-Year/Your-Page-Two-Name.htm#AnchorName1

You're almost done. The question remains, do you want this link to go directly to this location in place of the page they are currently on, or do you want it to open the Link in a New Window?

If you want to replace the current page, just hit OK to save your link. If you want to open in a New Window, look at the top left side of the Link Window and click on Target. Select "New Window (_blank)"; or Popup Window if desired. Click OK to save.

I hope that I've got it correct?

EDIT: I removed the mention not to use an underline per John's post below. Additionally, see his comments that a Space Can be used, but requires the space to be replaced by a %20

Edited 03/27/17 3:39 AM
Sunday, March 26, 2017 at 1:01 PM - Response #13

Nice tutorial on how to link to an anchor on another page!

Three observations:
(1) There is no problem using an underline in an anchor name. The #anchor name at the end of the URL just has to exactly match the name of the anchor. But you should NOT use special characters like #, @, etc, in the anchor name (some work, some don't).

(2) You actually CAN link to an existing anchor name containing a space, but you have to replace the space with %20 in the anchor name at the end of the URL. The editor will do this for you if you use the Link-to-Anchor (on the same page) function. But to keep it simple, avoid spaces (and special characters like the #, +, @, etc) when you create an anchor name.

(3) Although we know that every classmate is always up to date on their Windows/Mac version, browser version, Flash version, etc (sure they are...), there are older browser versions which do not correctly handle the link to an anchor on another page. Even though the URL (and #anchorname) are correct, the older versions only go to the page - and ignore the anchor.

Edited 03/26/17 1:05 PM
Monday, March 27, 2017 at 3:41 AM - Response #14

Thanks John,

I'm learning as I go. I've edited my original post to make the corrections. Thanks!

Friday, April 14, 2017 at 10:58 AM - Response #15

Another observation for your tutorial... AFTER creating the anchor/s where you want them, and while editing your selected text (where you wish to link FROM to go TO an anchor elsewhere on your site), simply change the -Link Type- from "URL" and select to "Link to anchor in the text". This feature will automatically generate a dropdown list of all the available anchors you have created on your site. Select the desired anchor, save, and it's done! The anchor reference already knows the location URL and generates the complete link for you. Cool Cool tool from the CC Team.

On my site, many of my anchors have underscore lines in the name. And the %20 is good to know, John! I've observed it many times in URLs but never thought to type it into an anchor name. Thanks. Smile

Friday, April 14, 2017 at 12:04 PM - Response #16

Terry,
When I try that, all it shows me is anchors on the page I'm editing where I'm creating the link. What am I missing?

Friday, April 14, 2017 at 1:07 PM - Response #17

Oops, I misspoke. Thanks for catching my error, John. I should have checked first... Been too long since I made my website pages! Sorry for the confusion.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.