ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

User Forum - New topic for classmate

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 05/06/13 08:21 PM Views: 2737 Replies: 11
Monday, May 6, 2013 at 8:21 PM

There have been several times that I would like to have entered a new topic for a classmate but can't do it because it is always attached to my name. Is there anyway to enter a topic under a classmate's name?
Jim

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 at 9:02 AM - Response #1

One way to do it anonymously is to create a guest account "El Paso Guest" and then sign in using that username/password and then create the topic.

The only way to create the topic for a classmate is to sign in as them.

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 at 10:45 AM - Response #2

Jim, Are you wanting to do the same as entering photos for a classmate where we give them the credit? If so, this is a good idea! I'm thinking I better run and hide from the CC staff... but not until after I suggest... WISH LIST, please! Wink

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 at 11:55 AM - Response #3

Thanks, Gwen. Yes, that is exactly it. I want the classmate to have the credit -- in this case it is the publication of a new book, so I don't want my name or "El Paso Guest" associated with it. I think what I will have to do is have them start the topic and then I can edit it with their information.
Jim

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 at 12:06 PM - Response #4

Jim, Are you starting a new topic in your site forums or a new page? In the forums, you can start the thread without a post, have them begin and edit it. (I think you meant forums, just did not read it.)

On the subject of books, I have a page started for my alumni site AUTHORS AMONG US. An alum gave me a chapter of his book to post. I simply need to stop long enough to put it into a page turning form. (Yes, you would think I should know how to do this by now... even with the ISSUU account I have not used!) If you start a page, you could link to a forum thread from the page... start a book/chapter review thread. (Hey, that just came to me! I'm going to do that!)

Edited 05/07/13 12:07 PM
Tuesday, May 7, 2013 at 3:11 PM - Response #5

Gwen,
I had the classmate start the new topic (thread) and then I added all of the information. Now the author has full credit and nobody can tell that I entered the information. I don't know how to let you look at it but if you let me know I will do that.
Jim

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 at 3:24 PM - Response #6

It is a good work around until we get the option to enter for a classmate Cool, Jim.

Edit ADD: Oops, Jim. I missed the notation of the USER FORUM in the thread title. Sorry about that! Embarassed

Edited 05/07/13 3:40 PM
Tuesday, May 7, 2013 at 8:49 PM - Response #7

I guess I have a problem with a system that WOULD allow someone to post under another persons name without acknowledging that "that" person was not the author and who the actual author is. This gets into all kinds of "CAN OF WORMS" that I would not dare tread!
Just my opinion!

Edited 05/07/13 8:50 PM
Tuesday, May 7, 2013 at 11:02 PM - Response #8

Tommy,
I think what we are saying is that only the administrator would be able to do that -- not just anyone. I agree that that would not be good for just anyone to be able to post for somebody else.
Jim

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 at 12:03 AM - Response #9

Right, Jim.

Tommy, I believe what Jim wanted and did is to have a classmate who wrote a book SHOW as the one who wrote the post. It would have been easier for Jim to start it but without the option, he had to contact the classmate, give him instructions and wait for him to make the post. Once the post was started, Jim was able to go in as the Forum Moderator and edit the post. It would have been much easier to simply mark the classmate as the one who was posting and get it done.

I have classmates asking me to post prayer requests because they are not comfortable doing it. No matter how easy it is and an offer to walk them through it over the phone... they still ask me to handle it. I'm tired of seeing my face on so many posts.

I agree with Tom that allowing ANYONE to do this would be a possible nightmare. We do not want to suggest admins begin posting for others. YIKES!

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 at 12:45 AM - Response #10

It's true that many classmates of my age (we just had our 50th reunion in 2011) just can't or don't want to enter information on the website. I was asked by the classmate to post the information so I gave her very specific instructions on how to start the post and then in the body write "Under Construction", then I took it from there. She was happy with it and it turned out fine.

I would never enter anything for another classmate without being asked by them to do it.

Jim

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 at 2:54 PM - Response #11

I agree that Admins only should be able to do this. If they do though, I believe strongly that a statement such as "Posted for XXXX by YYY at the request of XXX" should be put in the body of the post.

I understand what You want to do and agree with the need for it on occasion. For our site the above would be our procedure. Very Happy

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.