ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Anyone Else?

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 09/20/16 03:46 PM Views: 2479 Replies: 36
Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 3:46 PM

Over the past number of weeks I've noticed that my site has been getting progressively more sluggish in its response. Previously I navigated from page to page almost instantaneously.

Has anyone else experienced the same thing?

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 5:29 PM - Response #1

yes - mucho

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 5:53 PM - Response #2

Any specific pages or functions? I'm not seeing any delays here but I'm happy to look into it further.

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 6:31 PM - Response #3

Everywhere. Loading Editor, switching pages and so forth. Since response depends on so many things - could be something in the "middle" too. It's not 100% that way.

I often work at midnight when it's slightly better.

Last few weeks have been more that way vs occasional bouts of slug. Other sites are pretty much the same, although FB sometimes is also a slug - that's why I'm not saying it is CC or just general traffic issues.

Will pay more attention Very Happy

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 6:43 PM - Response #4

All pages and functions. In my case it seems to be only my CC site that is exhibiting this behavior.

Jessica wrote:

Any specific pages or functions? I'm not seeing any delays here but I'm happy to look into it further.

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 8:32 PM - Response #5

Same here in Elkhart, Indiana.
I was uploading some senior yearbook photos. First three went rapidly, now none go on up.

8:30 EST

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 at 3:28 PM - Response #6

Hi Guys,

We found out later in the evening that there were some connectivity issues happening out there throughout the evening yesterday. Our system and all of its monitoring were up but some DNS issues outside of our system were affecting the ability for some people to reach the system or affecting the speed it was loading. When it was reported initially we were not seeing any of these issues and traffic seemed normal on the system. A bit later traffic was lower than usual and we were seeing some of the cut out and slow down issues you were reporting. This cleared up last night around 10:30 EST and normal traffic patterns have been happening ever since. Is everything working for all of you now?

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 at 7:47 PM - Response #7

Jessica,
Yes all is working well now.
I heard from my twin brother the other night that he could not even get signed in to the web site.

But, like always, you people get things working correctly and quickly.

Thanks for the follow up.

Jim Champaigne
Elkhart, Indiana

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 at 8:39 PM - Response #8

Still the same for me.

Thursday, September 22, 2016 at 6:05 AM - Response #9

Very sluggish - classmates are not logging on

Thursday, September 22, 2016 at 12:07 PM - Response #10

Perhaps this will shed some light on the subject. While my class of '58 site remains sluggish two other CC sites that I administer are not.

http://www.springfield57vermont.com/class_index.cfm
http://www.ocmsc.com/

A distinction is that these two have their own domain names.

Thursday, September 22, 2016 at 1:12 PM - Response #11

Our website has domain name thru 2022.

Edited 09/22/16 1:13 PM
Thursday, September 22, 2016 at 1:17 PM - Response #12

yup - different IP address. Not sure though since Elena (with a domain) has same IP as our site. And that is working OK at this moment.

Thursday, September 22, 2016 at 1:38 PM - Response #13

Forgot to mention, Elena's site right now has pretty good response - for the links that are open.

Thursday, September 22, 2016 at 3:33 PM - Response #14

I get excellent response on both Elena's and Jack's site.

Thursday, September 22, 2016 at 8:18 PM - Response #15

Thanks! I didn't receive your message until 8:11pm. Other non-related CC email was received appropriately.

Edited 09/23/16 5:55 AM
Thursday, September 22, 2016 at 8:34 PM - Response #16

This forum's email delivery timing has always been inconsistent. Not unusual to have hours and even days elapse Twisted Evil

Thursday, September 22, 2016 at 8:39 PM - Response #17

This video shows the response time of my site vs that of Elena's and Jack's. at least I hope it does. The production values are not very good and at times the Jing video seems to hang up.

Friday, September 23, 2016 at 1:12 PM - Response #18

Because my class website is mentioned: video posted requires Adobe - currently, Adobe isn't an option. Is it possible to briefly describe the meaning of the video (response time) without using tech speak?

Edited 09/23/16 3:38 PM
Friday, September 23, 2016 at 9:06 PM - Response #19

It shows that your site loads almost instantaneously.

Sunday, September 25, 2016 at 9:23 AM - Response #20

Had not noticed any particular slow issues, but I haven't been on CC much during the past week, however, a big

WOW!

I received my first notice of this thread at 7:53AM today, September 25, and FC made the post on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 2:46 PM.
Biggest time delay I have ever seen! ! !
Any possible explanation Jessica?
Crying or Very sad

Sunday, September 25, 2016 at 10:56 AM - Response #21

Very late, indeed.

I received notification of this post Sunday, September 25 at 8:52 a.m., and received a notification of another post from September 21, as well as a posting from yesterday/Saturday morning.

Sunday, September 25, 2016 at 11:01 AM - Response #22

Interesting that I also received the posting notification this morning, 9/25, at 7:52am.

Sunday, September 25, 2016 at 1:36 PM - Response #24

It's been that way for years Wink In addition not every new post is sent. I'd say maybe 1/2 are often missing.

The best way to see new posts is to click "What's New" on top.

Friday, October 14, 2016 at 11:39 PM - Response #25

I still have a very slow response for my site. In fact it seems to be getting a little worse.

Saturday, October 15, 2016 at 12:01 AM - Response #26

Cooks right now though. Ping is almost the same as ours - 75ms vs 65ms (wireless via router and then cable box)

Saturday, October 15, 2016 at 11:19 PM - Response #27

Ping times I get wired into router connected to cable modem:

bothellhigh61.com      44ms

classcreator.com      43ms

ocmsc.com         44ms

springfield57vermont.com   43ms

vsr2720.com         44ms

I presume classcreator.com applies to my site as it does not have its own domain name.

The last three are also on Class Creator but, like your site, have their own domain name.

All sites except mine load almost instantaneously. Same with navigation once on the site.

Saturday, October 15, 2016 at 11:32 PM - Response #28

I found a really cool site for analyzing this.

This one https://tools.pingdom.com/

Scroll down and you'll see what is slowing you down.

(I discovered a typo I never fixed Evil or Very Mad )

Edited 10/15/16 11:34 PM
Sunday, October 16, 2016 at 10:25 AM - Response #29

F C Bock wrote:

Ping times I get wired into router connected to cable modem:
springfield57vermont.com   43ms

Pings to the sites you listed (and mine too) were all 51ms using a direct connect to my 40Mb DSL modem. But using the site that Jack offered above, there were major differences between my site and yours. Try that link and page down. You'll see it.
And thanks Jack. Handy tool.

Sunday, October 16, 2016 at 1:56 PM - Response #30

You are welcome John. When I got similar pings the next step is to analyze page contents.

Responsive Design has a lot of extra 'pulled in' code vs "classic" designs. Not counting ad sites which are even slower.

Plus stuff like Revolver maps is a big hit.

Here's an analyzer from google mentioned on original site. Has interesting explanations and 'how to' for mobile.

https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/

A sample mobile idea
https://developers.google.com/speed/docs/insights/ConfigureViewport

Some of that I don't do (compression - not enough IMO to make a big difference) because it makes debugging much more difficult Twisted Evil )

Sunday, October 16, 2016 at 3:55 PM - Response #31

I'm trying to upload a couple of pictures to my site. After placing them, I click on Save Changes, it stays a bluish color for a couple of minutes, then turns white, but, when I check, the pictures are gone..

Monday, October 17, 2016 at 2:31 PM - Response #32

Linda - are you adding the images to the Gallery Creator? If not, where?

Monday, October 17, 2016 at 5:29 PM - Response #33

On Sunday, I was trying to add pictures to the announcement page, by going to Image, Browse my computer and Upload. The same procedure I've been doing for 8 years.. What didn't work yesterday, worked ok today.. I got the 2 pictures I wanted on the page... Thanks..

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 at 1:57 PM - Response #34

Good to hear. Thank you.

Tuesday, November 8, 2016 at 1:16 PM - Response #35

I stumbled upon something else today. Before logging on to my site I navigated to other pages. Response was almost immediate. I then logged on and found that the page to page response was very slow as I have been experiencing for some time. I then logged on as my test member. Response was rapid. I then gave my test member full administrative rights and logged on again as the test member. Response still rapid. Logged on gain as myself. Response still very slow.

So the extremely slow response seems to be isolated to me logged on as the admin. Any thoughts?

Tuesday, November 8, 2016 at 2:25 PM - Response #36

You probably know all this - but this is the drill for comparing load times:

Clear your browser's cache before you test each type of login? That's gives a common base start and minimizes the response differences by fetching from cache vs a new load.

Verify that you are not paging (task manager). Usually if you have an 8GB+ system, not an issue, but 4GB systems will page. Memory usage should be 80% or less.

Do not run other tasks (have programs active) at the same time. Some services you can't stop, so repeated tests at different times will smooth that out too.

Since both had admin rights, it's probably a cache thing here. Run a trace on both logins (using the tools above). If the things that are loaded are the same (see GET trace that gives times - Chrome and FF also gives this data in F12 Network mode). Should be just normal variations and not related to your name vs test name.

I can't really explore beyond just the home page which loads fine right now and instantly once I've been there Smile There are not many links though.

About the only generalization I've noticed is that RD tends to be a consistently slower than non-RD because it loads way more extra code. Editing pages is about twice as slow.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.