ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Reunion Planner Payment Page Secure?

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 08/04/11 01:46 PM Views: 1520 Replies: 13
Thursday, August 4, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Is the payment page secure? I'm sure many people will be hesitant to provide credit card and especially ACH bank account information unless they see the litte yellow secure lock on the web page.

Thursday, August 4, 2011 at 2:30 PM - Response #1

Yes, when you go into the Reunion Planner, then go to the EDIT page (where the routing number and account number are entered), it turns into "https://". In the bottom right corner of my browser, I see the yellow padlock and when I look at the mouse-over text, it says "Authenticated by GeoTrust, Inc."

The classmates won't be entering their bank routing number and account numbers. Only their credit card information and that page is also secure.

We use GeoTrust to secure all financial transactions. If you go to this forum, it has the details. As Brad said in the forum post, "in our history we've never had a single incident of identity theft, stolen credit card numbers, etc. "

http://forums.classcreator.com/messages....21A-46FB41C43D0F08ED

Friday, August 5, 2011 at 3:05 AM - Response #2

Speaking of that topic...I was wondering if, when the time comes for us to begin registration fees, am I able to do everything through pay-pal? including personal checks? My co-administrator (in Georgia) and I (in Arizona) were planning on sharing a paypal merchant account in order to receive registration payments. Reunion is going to be in North Carolina; our high school was in New York City. Will we have problems through Class Creator in acheiving this?
Barbara

Friday, August 5, 2011 at 9:35 AM - Response #3

I haven't used PayPal, so someone else might need to respond here, but why would a classmate send a PERSONAL CHECK to PayPal? Then PayPal would just need to forward the check on to you.

I think for personal checks, you will need to open up a class bank account, then when you or your co-admin receives a check in the mail, just deposit the check and update the paid status of the reunion planner.

If I remember right Paypal only accepts credit cards. (I have never used PayPal)

Friday, August 5, 2011 at 10:54 AM - Response #4

Why use Paypal??? Open up a bank account...then use Class Creator's credit card system. You can accept checks and/or cash too. Paypal will charge you for every transaction.
Read the Reunion Planner instructions on how the credit system works.
We used it for our reunion and it works great.

Friday, August 5, 2011 at 11:48 AM - Response #5

Only checks and cash avoid any fees. PayPal is 2.9% CC is 4.9%. Both charge. PayPal only does credit cards.

What we do are checks via CC and then when they opt to pay with PayPal, they pay there. If classmate has a PayPal account already (optional), it is more convenient. About 1/3 of the class ended up with PayPal, the rest checks.

PayPal payments are easy to track since PayPal sends you a message saying someone paid. And then you just go in and mark that they have paid in the reunion planner, adjusting for the 2.9% fee. Plus you have a convenient (searchable) history of Payments listing the date of payment.

Up to each to decide if that works for them, but it does add a few dollars to your receipts.

Edited 08/05/11 11:49 AM
Saturday, August 6, 2011 at 3:17 PM - Response #6

I like having only one place to receive payments..especially if you have a large group attending your reunion and/or events. I like easy. Our Reunion Committee decided not to open another acoount thru Paypal..you still have to transfer your money to another account if your venue and vendors don't accept paypal.
To each his own.
I like easy. BTW..we passed the fees on to the attendees by putting the % in the tickets prices.

Saturday, August 6, 2011 at 4:52 PM - Response #7

Just explaining how it works and the dollar difference. This is all about receiving money not about paying vendors. They are different aspects of a reunion.

Talking about money transfers reminded me of another advantage of PayPal - you can transfer money the day you receive it. As often as one likes.

I don't see how having the "fees" passed on makes it simpler. Now you have different prices for the same item?? Just asking.

Up to everyone to evaluate these differences for their group.

Saturday, August 6, 2011 at 6:44 PM - Response #8

No..we do not have different prices for the same item. Why should the Reunion Committee pay for the fees? You add it to the price of the item.
We choose to have our own bank account. This way we can write checks to the vendors etc etc...and all expenses for the reunion. They may be different aspects..but they still have to be paid and they have to be paid from some account.
We had over 50% used the credit card option. Like I said b4 we like it nice and simple and easy..and not have 3 accounts to collect money for events and items.
Every one has to decide how they would like to handle payments.

Saturday, August 6, 2011 at 7:59 PM - Response #9

I'm really not understanding your price explanation. If credit card fees are tacked on, then what do check people pay?

Everyone has a bank account and we write checks to vendors. PayPal doesn't affect any of these aspects of a reunion.

We don't have 3 accounts - just ONE. PayPal is exactly the same bank account, just like CC credit card processing ends up in the same bank account. It's nice and simple. The only extra step is that for PayPal one has to verify the bank account, just like you do for CC. It's Method of Payment, not another account per se. Pretty simple.

Somewhere we are not communicating on this.

Edit: I think I may understand the problem. You've never used PayPal thus assumed some things? It really is no different from CC credit card from the user's POV.

Edited 08/06/11 10:57 PM
Sunday, August 7, 2011 at 1:06 PM - Response #10

People who pay cash or check..pay the same price for any of the items we have for sale.All the prices are the same. It's as simple as that! Rolling Eyes
I hope that's clear enough. I don't know how to explain it any further.Wink

Sunday, August 7, 2011 at 1:08 PM - Response #11

I think that what Darlene is saying is that they upped the price enough to cover all of the credit card charges, but if classmates paid with cash or check, they made more money because the fees weren't charged.

Sunday, August 7, 2011 at 1:12 PM - Response #12

Thanx..Kyle.

Sunday, August 7, 2011 at 2:33 PM - Response #13

That was not very clear, since many people give a Discount to check people instead.

However, that really has nothing to do with PayPal. We have one price because we figured out how much money we required, estimated the number of people attending and that's how we arrived at the same price for everyone. So it's really no different.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.