ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Insurance Requested by High School

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 01/25/12 12:15 PM Views: 2321 Replies: 9
Wednesday, January 25, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Our 40th Reunion is still 6 1/2 months away. Need some help regarding an insurance request.

We are having a "Rally" at our former high school before tours for the school and a reunion w/our original faculty during the day and before our "Big" Event in the evening; however, we were required to get a permit for building use and now our former high school is requiring us to get our own INSURANCE for this event that will hopefully be allowed to have former and current band members of our school, former and past drill team members, and former and past cheerleaders.

Any other alumni required to get insurance for use of the school? How did you handle?

We were advised vaguely to check out Kiwanis and Rotary Club in the area... We will not know the total amount of participants for several more months. Also, the former faculty did not have the same problem obtaining their permit for use as one of our teachers is still teaching forty years later and obtained the permit for them. We have a former teacher as our sponsor though that did not eliminate the insurance request.

Thank you !

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 at 12:33 PM - Response #1

I have never heard of such a thing but I am responding so I will get the emails from others who may have and educate myself. We had a tour of the school, no "rally" involved and we had a present secretary of the school there (in our class) and a former school board member (in our class) that speaks well give the tour.

We have had to purchase insurance through a venue, I think that is pretty common. They buy the product and charge everyone who uses the building something.

Denise D.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 at 12:33 PM - Response #2

We have have two all school reunions.
Both were held on school property.
We had to acquire event insurance.
It was for three or four days and cost us between $300.00 and $400.00. I'm not sure of the exact amount.
We also had to pay almost $400.00 for the use of the facility. The school board did send employees to ready everything as far as cleaning and making sure the grass on the football field was cut. This also included the janitor.
We included that in with the cost of the ticket.
Hope this helps.
Karen Hall
www.flemingneonalumni.com

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 at 2:41 PM - Response #3

We are getting some kind of insurance for a similar event next June. I'll find out what it is and get back to you.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 at 9:51 PM - Response #4

No insurance, but we just had a tour of the new building, not a rally or anything.

Also at a venue we did not have to get insurance, just a damage deposit.

Could just be regional thing.

Anyone can rent our school facilities (e.g. cafeteria) without any insurance requirements. I've done that too in the past.

Thursday, January 26, 2012 at 1:57 PM - Response #5

Thank you for your kind e-mails, Denise, Karen, Mary, and Jack... I will wait for further posts and give what has been thus far gathered to my fellow RC.

By the way, the Rotary and Kiwanis Clubs said they provided insurance for their own groups, not for outside groups unlike what the SMNW Vice-Principal had told me. The Kiwanis lead was an actual insurance agent who seemed to think that my homeowner's policy was the way to start checking. My homeowner's has referred me to an Independent Agent who will call back this afternoon. My long-time auto insurance agent checked with another agent and quoted $500; however, he himself cannot provide.

Thank you again, and I will wait to hear more and will post what I learn from the Independent Insurance Agent.

Thursday, January 26, 2012 at 5:46 PM - Response #6

For a couple of reunions, we were able to have class pictures done in the little theater. Then, we had to donate to the then present cheerleaders for giving us a tour. The next time, we had to pay a school employee 100.00. Our last reunion, they asked for $400.00 to cover whatever. We opted out. It is sad in this day and age that things are as they are. For our 50th, we will start a little earlier to see if there are some other options. I hope everything works out for you.

Friday, January 27, 2012 at 4:27 PM - Response #7

Thank you Roswell H.S. for your info, too. I am still waiting a "firm" quote from an independent insurance agent in the KC area. Again, will let you know what he tells me.

Edited 01/27/12 4:28 PM
Saturday, January 28, 2012 at 4:33 PM - Response #8

Forsyth County (NC) also requires insurance when alumni hosts events on their properties. In 2008, I paid $300 for a 1 day $1,000,000,000 ins. policy (The $1 million was the requirement)

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 at 12:20 PM - Response #9

One other comment and question: for those of you who had to purchase insurance, whose name did you put it in? Had several agents tell me to put it under my name; one said it would be Reunion Committee's responsibility.

The independent agents did not return my calls (today is Wednesday, February 1, 2012, 2 days after my additional request for information). "Guestimates" by the insurance agents last week ranged from $300-$500 for our small event. However, I found online Private Event Insurance, underwritten by Markel American, an "A" rated insurance company. Reviews are mostly good on the underwriter and history of the Insurance Company, a 30-year-old company, is a good explanation why they went into the event insurance business. Their rates are very good; was quoted $188 and will cover the entire day with liability insurance plan. Anyone out there had experience with them?

Three items to note: (1) no provision for cancellation insurance for non-profits if event is canceled and, a plus, (2) do not have to purchase the insurance until or as late as the day before the event if you are "squeezing" your budget ! (3) We (smnw72 Reunion Committee) have not made a final decision on which insurance offering to pursue.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.