ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Link in an email link

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 09/11/18 10:04 AM Views: 1158 Replies: 8
Tuesday, September 11, 2018 at 10:04 AM

Is it possible to have a link in an email setup that is in itself a link? If so, how can it be done?

Tuesday, September 11, 2018 at 12:57 PM - Response #1

You mean a link that forwards to another link or? Since email links are interpreted by the email client, only can work if the destination redirects. So not exactly controlled by the email link per se.

Websites can redirect to another site or a script can do this.

Website redirect (at the target website) is commonly used when switching DNS name or if you have multiple URLs that you want to point to the same host site. Some browsers will warn when that happens since it's also a method for crooks.

Here's an explanation

Scripts can also do that. A few reports of this undesired scripted redirect were just posted in the last few months.

Link above also explains how that works.

Tuesday, September 11, 2018 at 1:10 PM - Response #2

For email addresses that you don't mind being indexed online (in other words I would not do this with a private email address), you can set up a link on the page that will prompt the user's machine to recognize the link as an email address and open their default email client.

Type either the email address OR a link phrase in the editor and then highlight with your cursor.
Click the Link button in the toolbar
The link window will appear and you can change the Link type from URL (default) to Email
The sub-fields will change and you can then enter the email address, message subject and event enter some starter text for the message body.

Those fields are useful if you want to pre-enter a subject line... such as Exploring Volunteer Opportunities, or any specific subject line you would like to use to categorize incoming emails.

Tuesday, September 11, 2018 at 1:57 PM - Response #3

Do you think he meant an email link(?). Using the email link on a page doesn't work quite as intended unless a user has configured their browser correctly. I wouldn't do that if it's important.

For my FF setup (on purpose), I have to right click and say "copy email address". Not obvious. If I click on it, it actually goes to a URL totally different. Weird, but I never do that, so don't care.

Chrome is also different. Does nothing for me since I never bothered to set up anything.

Craiglist has code to take care of that issue.

Tuesday, September 11, 2018 at 7:21 PM - Response #4
email_links.png

I don't think I made myself very clear. See the attached photo and questions in it.

Tuesday, September 11, 2018 at 9:03 PM - Response #5

Where is this placed? If on a web page, won't work unless user has configured browser correctly. Described above. So if a user has their browser configured to transfer to their email client yes. But that's pretty iffy. Would not work for me Cool

Yes you can put links in an email message same as a web page since email is a special subset of html. Client decodes that for the user. Assuming that it is opened by the email client, not a browser.

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 at 12:11 PM - Response #6

Ah I get it now. That is simply a form field and you can't add formatting like a a=href tag to that kind of field. You would need to add the long form URL

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 at 12:50 PM - Response #7

If he wants it to be an "email" link, then the "link type" email does that for you (create the correct html). Just like it does for this forum when you click Link ion.

Here's a Test Page. Click it and see if it actually goes to your email client.

[as an aside, if you create the email in Gmail and select the email option (bottom of choices by send - at least for commercial gmail), then it works if sent as an email. Probably other email systems too.]

Edited 09/12/18 12:52 PM
Wednesday, September 12, 2018 at 1:56 PM - Response #8

Jim - Look at Jack's last reply and see if that will work. Not sure it will but it is worth a shot.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.