ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Text Box Max Characters

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 11/26/08 07:32 AM Views: 1377 Replies: 8
Wednesday, November 26, 2008 at 7:32 AM

I added a new element via the Profile Generator and called it "Biographical Sketch." When I tried to add my own imfo, I got an "Oops" error. My first guess was that I had maxed out the number of characters permitted so I added paragraphs one at a time and saved until I guess I went over again. So, what's the max number of characters I can put in a comment box? And is there a way to bump it up?

Edited 11/26/08 7:51 AM
Wednesday, November 26, 2008 at 9:23 AM - Response #1

I'm not sure, but I think I remember 1000 characters.

Enhancement Suggestion for Brad: It might not work, but could the comment text of the profile generator be tied to a OnChange event and subtract the length of the current input box and then display a message "Characters Left: XX" ? Is this possible?

If this isn't possible, maybe in the actual Profile Generator, in the drop-down to select the "Comment Text", change the drop-down to say "Comment Text (1000 Chars Max)".

Edited 11/26/08 10:16 AM
Wednesday, November 26, 2008 at 11:40 AM - Response #2

Ok, hang tight on this. I need a reponse from Kevin on this one, and that may not come in until after Thanksgiving.

Sunday, November 30, 2008 at 11:43 AM - Response #3

I'm confused. What's the difference between my question and Elaine's at:

http://forums.classcreator.com/messages.cfm?threadid=E70A34E4-BB62-18B9-B81D30886C8460F6

Sunday, November 30, 2008 at 1:48 PM - Response #4

No difference. I was specifically saying I'm waiting on a response from Kevin regarding Kyle's suggestion. Should have that tomorrow. Kevin will work something up here I'm sure.

Are you still able to get an "oops" error you mentioned now? Let me know -- if so it's not because of a character limit. I can have Kevin look at that too. With the Holiday no programmers have been in the office for the past 4 days.

Tuesday, December 2, 2008 at 4:32 PM - Response #5

Hmm. Still working this issue. I've tried again inserting my content paragraph by paragraph and am still getting the "Opps" error after about half a page. I've tried several solutions; deleting quotation marks, deleting line breaks, etc. Still getting the error. Then I had the brilliant idea that I should try dropping my text in to the space reserved for Videos . . . and it worked. But I now notice that the comment box that I inseretd and the comment box for Video Descriptions are smaller than the others. Different types?

Friday, December 5, 2008 at 1:20 PM - Response #6

Brad Switzer wrote:

Ok, hang tight on this. I need a reponse from Kevin on this one, and that may not come in until after Thanksgiving.

This "Seems" to be fixed - now it shows the limit (5000 characters) and the Chars Remaining.

However, (here comes the complaint), it takes TWO lines - the "Limit 5000 Characters:" appears above ALL of the Comment boxes created with Profile Generator and the "Chars RemainingMadxxx" appears BELOW the comment box. Couldn't they both reside on the same line? I would prefer below the box. How about "Chars Remaining (5000 maximum)Madxxx"? Or "Limit 5000 Characters. Characters RemainingMadxxx"? below the comment box.

OOPS, I am not really angry Mad It should be a colon ":" and an "x" instead of "Mad", but oh well.

Edited 12/05/08 1:24 PM
Friday, December 5, 2008 at 4:40 PM - Response #7

Heh. Funny. Smile Let me post the Task I already entered for Kevin last night below.

----------------------------
Looks great. Two questions:

1) Don't the default Profile fields, such as Comments and School story also have a limit of 5,000 characters? If so they should also display your new character counter script.

2) Having the character limit displayed above the box and the actual count displayed below the box doesn't work for me, particularly if somebody has added a hint. Just too confusing. I'd prefer everything pertaining to character count be above the box, and the hint if there is one appear alone immediately below the box. I.E. above the box I'd like to show it like this:

Limit 5000 Characters. Characters Remaining: 5000.
BOX

Friday, December 5, 2008 at 4:53 PM - Response #8

Right. I didn't think about the HINT or else I would have suggested above the box, too.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.