ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

One button fix

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 05/09/14 03:19 PM Views: 932 Replies: 26
Friday, May 9, 2014 at 3:19 PM

(I thought I sent this already)

The first get a bounce back for someone I usually copy email and put in note are along with the date. I just sent and when I went to do this I found that there was a bunch that I had marked from a year ago. I sent out many emails since a year ago and so I do not understand why they bounce. I really do not understand all the reasons why emails bounce. Is there a way that you can come up with a solution to fix bounce backs with a single button?

Thank you. This can be item 45-B.1-c.

Friday, May 9, 2014 at 4:05 PM - Response #1

There are way too many variables for a one button fix. Please see my Response #43 on this page... http://forums.classcreator.com/messages....25F-3CF407708F1BA963

Friday, May 9, 2014 at 6:14 PM - Response #2

I have had email bounce, not because the address is invalid, but because the mail server is down. This should not be
counted as a bounceback.

Friday, May 9, 2014 at 7:19 PM - Response #3

On one hand, I agree with you, Camille. Yet it helps to know the member did not receive the email. For that reason, I appreciate the bounce back notification.

Friday, May 9, 2014 at 8:58 PM - Response #4

Camille,

I saw you had one bounce because the mail server was down. I deleted it for you.

Saturday, May 10, 2014 at 8:12 AM - Response #5

This bounce back think is a PITA. Even our two administrators, including me, have had bouncebacks in the past couple of weeks.

Here are the instructions for repairing bouncebacks from Scott and Kyle:

"The teacher/classmate needs to log in using that e-mail address, click the link which will send another e-mail that has a link that when clicked will remove the bounce from the system. So they will need to receive the e-mail and then click the link that is inside of the e-mail."

"If an e-mail is bouncing in your system, the e-mail cannot be used in the EMAIL THE CLASS system until it is corrected. The only way to correct it is to have the classmate log in and click a link that will now show up on their website after they are logged in. When they do that, an e-mail will be sent from the ClassCreator system. When the classmate (or teacher) receives the e-mail, it will explain that they will need to click on the link provided in the e-mail to fix the problem and remove the message that shows up on their home page."

There has got to be a better way. Remember, we're dealing with a lot of older folks who barely know how to turn a computer on, much less follow the bouncing ball to fix bouncebacks.

Saturday, May 10, 2014 at 8:13 AM - Response #6

Thank you, Kyle. Does that mean the classmate does not have
to sign on to fix anything? I appreciate the notification when an email does not go through because of the mail server, but not if it means work for the classmate. We have enough trouble getting them to sign in the first time! Any answer on my original problem report?
Thanks, Camille

Saturday, May 10, 2014 at 8:21 AM - Response #7

What??? You must be kidding. Please make this KISS for us old folks.

Here are the instructions for repairing bouncebacks from Scott and Kyle:

"The teacher/classmate needs to log in using that e-mail address, click the link which will send another e-mail that has a link that when clicked will remove the bounce from the system. So they will need to receive the e-mail and then click the link that is inside of the e-mail."

"If an e-mail is bouncing in your system, the e-mail cannot be used in the EMAIL THE CLASS system until it is corrected. The only way to correct it is to have the classmate log in and click a link that will now show up on their website after they are logged in. When they do that, an e-mail will be sent from the ClassCreator system. When the classmate (or teacher) receives the e-mail, it will explain that they will need to click on the link provided in the e-mail to fix the problem and remove the message that shows up on their home page."

There has got to be a better way. Remember, we're dealing with a lot of older folks who barely know how to turn a computer on, much less follow the bouncing ball to fix bouncebacks.

Saturday, May 10, 2014 at 9:31 AM - Response #8

I only had one bounceback from CC crew since I joined in 2010. I assumed, wrongly, that I answered a "no-reply" e-mail. But it never posed a big problem.
I'm glad I understand it now, but I agree, isn't there a shorter method than the one above? I had to copy and paste it so I can refer to it if needed.
Barbara

Saturday, May 10, 2014 at 2:57 PM - Response #10

I have several bouncebacks that are showing a technical problem with comcast.net server. If you view the bounce back info, you will see the subject of the message and the reason for it.: This is part of the bounceback info I see on the two I checked:

Fri 2014-05-09 17:36:16: * Subject: New signup
Fri 2014-05-09 17:36:16: * Size (bytes): 2980
Fri 2014-05-09 17:36:16: * Message-ID: <1131765154.5061515.1399671372780.JavaMail.cf1@69.41.172.242>
Fri 2014-05-09 17:36:16: Attempting SMTP connection to [comcast.net]
Fri 2014-05-09 17:36:16: Resolving MX records for [comcast.net] (DNS Server: 69.41.160.9)...
Fri 2014-05-09 17:36:17: * The name server reports that it is having technical problems
Fri 2014-05-09 17:36:17: Attempting SMTP connection to [comcast.net:25]
Fri 2014-05-09 17:36:17: Resolving A record for [comcast.net] (DNS Server: 69.41.160.9)...
Fri 2014-05-09 17:36:17: * The name server reports that it is having technical problems

Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 12:08 PM - Response #11

Gwen, this example, plus many of those posted lately and several I've seen here, have one thing in common. Class Creator's Domain Name Server fails to resolve a domain name to an IP address. Even if comcast.net was off line for maintenance - which is highly unlikely since most major domains have redundant hardware and network connections - the domain name should still resolve. Whether or not an attempt to send something to that IP address will fail is another story.

And again, no matter how the bounce is resolved, we're ignoring the fact that every time we see a bounce - for whatever reason - that email is gone forever.

Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 2:57 PM - Response #12

Not sure about anyone else but the bounce back is really the only problem I ever have with CC. I have read (or tried to) read the instructions but I still do not understand. I think the way I have been doing it has probably kept come Alumni from getting emails.

Here is an idear that I came up with because I can understand that a one button fix will not work. How about a one button response? That is, when I get an bounce I click on something and then I send that person an email thru my email provider? That way we are contacting the person before I delete the email. The only reason I say this is because it is a lot of work to send out 30 or 40 bounce backs to call one at a time by copying and pasting into my email.

Just a thought.....

Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 3:17 PM - Response #13

John, I have to ask... you wrote:
"And again, no matter how the bounce is resolved, we're ignoring the fact that every time we see a bounce - for whatever reason - that email is gone forever."

I'm pretty sure you did not include me in the "we're", right?

I have neglected to send an email to the class in forever! So the bounces I have (13) are messages generated by the system for new signups, updated profiles and In Memory comments. I need to email these thirteen from my web site email (another service) to be sure they know they missed something. The In Memory comments are important, especially since one is the sister of the deceased member whose memorial service is soon. The sign ups and updates... well, I am not so sure these members set to receive the notifications. I will have to look.

I believe the only things members should receive are the OPT-IN email and Email the Class from admins. The default on all other options should be initially set to NEVER until the member goes to Notify Me and makes their choices. That would help keep members happy; numerous emails are NOT helping. (I believe I suggested this somewhere - not too long ago.)

NOTE: I am one person and my suggestion is not meant to be a rule/change. There may be a good reason I can not see for members to be overwhelmed with site emails.

Below is my Notify Me stats.

Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 3:27 PM - Response #14

Hi Ray,

I agree about the amount of work regarding alumni (multi-year) sites. Mine has been busier than ever the past month or so. More and more members and visits!

Since my first site in 2009 (moved to CC in 2010), I consider all I do as my gift to my class, school alumni and on TAP - to all of you. Yet when when faced with the amount of time we spend handling these, I think we need another donation button that says "Support your site admin. Give him/her a tip." (Like that one?)
Cool

Monday, May 12, 2014 at 10:50 AM - Response #15

Gwen, I see you have the same problem with Notify options that most of us with older sites have - a pot load of "No Answer". We've all tried everything we can to get people to set the Notify options but.. As Steve says, you can lead a horse to water...

One of the primary keys contributing to web site participation and activity is meaningful reminders that the site is there - alive, well, and changing. Notify does that - if people have set their options. For those who haven't, it would be nice if we could set several primary options which 99% of members who set theirs choose. In Memory moves and Announcements are two in that catagory. Bringing back the Notify nag screen for those who haven't set their options is another option. But all requests to address this problem seem to have fallen on deaf ears.

And yes, I included you (and most other admins) in the "we". Too many times, we simply don't know why a bounced email was sent or what the content was. We don't ignore it as far as reminding people to respond to the bounce status (or asking CC to reset it if it was a glitch), but too often we can't resend what might have been an important message.

Monday, May 12, 2014 at 11:00 AM - Response #16

Ray, There is some help in doing what you want to do, but it's not exactly a 'one-button' answer.

When you go to Email The Class, one of the options is to send a message to "Those who haven't joined or not yet responded to an opt-in request". Luckily, that creates a list which also contains anyone who's in "Bounced" status. You can uncheck everyone else and check those who Bounced, and then proceed. It will allow you to choose your personal email method, and then give you a list of email addresses to plug in.

As many bounces as we're getting lately, it would probably would be nice to add another option in Email The Class to just select those who've Bounced and handle them as the Not Joined are handled.

Monday, May 12, 2014 at 12:50 PM - Response #17

I wondered if the Notify Me notice that showed at the top of the was still there for members to see. Logging in over and over... it was good because I was not the one nagging. Sending notice after notice... same as nagging.

You didn't mention what you thought about my suggestion that the system default be set for all members to automatically receive 1) the OPT-In message they receive now and 2) anything admins send from Email the Class. There is a major problem with this though... they have to opt-in first and that is not something everyone does. I do not think they are doing it on purpose... some may not understand it. If we had the defaults set as suggested, our emails to the class could share that they need to set notify me options to receive ... listing a few that the site admin feels will nudge/send their members to the site to set their notifications according to what they want.

I have a member who wrote last week to be unsubscribed from everything on the site. There were a couple other emails at the time that brought sadness and became priority. When I checked the member's notify me settings, they were set to receive nothing. Maybe someone helped her. Maybe she was in touch with CC... though I have always been advised when that happens - I do not know. The time I give on my sites is my gift to the site members. When I give a gift, I care. Now I am going to have to send her a private email in hopes of understanding or pick up the phone. I do not want to upset her IF there was a problem I am unaware of. Every now and then, it would be nice to have a fly buzzing around, seeing what is going on and letting us know when there is a situation or potential situation, eh?

Monday, May 12, 2014 at 1:27 PM - Response #18

John Ralph wrote:

And yes, I included you (and most other admins) in the "we". Too many times, we simply don't know why a bounced email was sent or what the content was. We don't ignore it as far as reminding people to respond to the bounce status (or asking CC to reset it if it was a glitch), but too often we can't resend what might have been an important message.

Notify Me options include the following three options that pertain to the 14 bounce backs currently on my alumni site:

A new Alum joins the site: I take this as being a New signup

Profile Subscriptions: "Place a check mark next to each Alum you wish to keep track of. When the Alumni you have selected update their profiles you will be notified via email. It's a great way to keep track of your friends!"

A Alum posts a comment to In Memory.

Half of what you wrote "...what the content was" is provided in the bounce back "View". I believe in the cases I have, the why (because the notifications are set to send) and content are clear. Look at the subject lines from the bounce backs I have; they are all for the same subjects (content). What I need to determine is if the member DID or DID NOT sign up to receive these notifications. I am certain the first In Memory comment is wanted as it was to a sister of the alum who passed.

Sun 2014-05-11 06:23:08: * Subject: New signup
Wed 2014-05-07 06:30:42: * Subject: In Memory comment
Wed 2014-05-07 06:13:43: * Subject: In Memory comment
Tue 2014-05-06 06:16:49: * Subject: In Memory comment and Profile updates
Wed 2014-04-30 07:23:21: * Subject: New signups
Wed 2014-04-30 07:08:47: * Subject: New signups

I hope this helps a bit. To me, this is the easy part. Getting the members to their Notify Me settings... well, I am not their parent and they do not have to do it - bthey are grown ups. Doing so is helpful to us and them, though not everyone gets that.

This may explain why I feel the Notify Me default settings should be adjusted.

I agree that we cannot resend what could be important to the bounced email recipient. However, I know I can write three saying there are In Memory comments they subscribed to, yet did not receive the email notice. I'll have to do the same for the rest. This is where I feel volunteering time is going into overtime, if you will.

If I am missing something, please bring it to my attention. It is very possible I have and have taken this way off course.

Edited 05/12/14 1:31 PM
Tuesday, May 13, 2014 at 7:59 PM - Response #19

OK so we are all working thru this email thing including CC. There are certainly a lot of changes since I sent my first email 100 years ago.

One thing I do notice about all this changes is that the number of people who receive the "in Memory" emails went way up. I used to send 500 now I am send 1,000 + each time. Here are my notify stats.

Notify Me Statistics
Notify me by email when ...     Immediately     Once Daily     Never     No Answer
I receive a new personal message    5458    106    100    
Someone leaves a comment on my profile    5450    110    104    
Pictures have been added to a photo gallery    143    606    158    4757
A new response is posted in the Message Forum    112    575    165    4812
A new reunion or event is being planned    235    652    108    4669
A new announcement has been posted    155    610    145    4754
A survey receives new responses        582    176    4906
A new Classmate joins the site    164    607    172    4721
Pages on the site have been added or updated    100    584    170    4810
A Missing Classmate has been found    156    625    137    4746
A Classmate has been added to In Memory    385    646    132    4501
A Classmate posts an In Memory comment    189    601    177    4697
An administrator sends an email to all Classmates (strongly recommended)    5532        132    
ADMINS ONLY: Receive maintenance notices, periodic updates, and helpful tips from Class Creator    2        1    
A profile I'm subscribed to is updated    68    5596        
A Classmate whose profile I'm subscribed to has an upcoming birthday        5417    247

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 at 8:50 PM - Response #20

Hi Ray,

Are you sure that over 5000 of your alumni have chosen to receive the following:

I receive a new personal message 5458 106 100
Someone leaves a comment on my profile 5450 110 104
A Classmate whose profile I'm subscribed to has an upcoming birthday 5417 247

Quick addition shows you have less than 6000 registered. If the 5000+ have all visited and set their Notify Me options accordingly, you are very lucky.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 at 9:45 PM - Response #21

Gwen, I think those three were the only ones that CC pre-set when they implemented Notify Me.

Although I understand the reasons, I sure wish that admins could set some universaly chosen options for people who are still in "No Answer" mode. Very few people would not turn on their notify for a Move to In Memory, for example - if they ever looked at the list, understood what it is, and chose their options.

My second choice would be to bring back the 'nag' screen, and display it until there were no longer any "No Answer" choices. Unfortunately, that would probably work about as well as the bounce warning and opt-in messages do.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 at 10:37 PM - Response #22

Well, if there were a vote, I vote for Email the Class to be the only default. The rest must be set by the member. My reason... to keep from having upset members due to feeling they are receiving too many emails.

That is my input.

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 12:06 PM - Response #23

Gwen ,
The numbers are the numbers. I do not know as much as you when it comes to this.

Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 3:50 PM - Response #24

Hey, John. Missed you last night in chat. I was going to share with you that the 14 email bounce backs disappeared - replaced by three new ones. I had not cleared the 14, which is why I noticed it.

Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 3:53 PM - Response #25

Sorry Gwen, Busy day yesterday - and it continued into the night.
I'm curious... Did your members do their thing and clear the boucebacks, or has CC been watching and clearing those which were obvious 'temporary glitches'?

Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 9:44 PM - Response #26

I did not contact members. I'd like to know how they cleared.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.