ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Horizontal Nav Bar?

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 04/03/23 04:27 PM Views: 421 Replies: 9
Monday, April 3, 2023 at 4:27 PM

OK, I've looked around, and can't find where I can turn on horizontal menu/navbar.
In the videos, he talks about flyout menus and changing the order of the horizontal menu items, but I can't find where to turn on that menu on a "60's" preset site. https://www.newtrierwest1973.com

Am I just not seeing soemthing somewhere in the forums or in our site?
Or...is this not an option in the prebuilt theme...
Thanks for help,
rickvv

Monday, April 3, 2023 at 4:49 PM - Response #1

Hi Rick,

I see you have the Classic Design. The top navigation bar is not an option in the Themed Designs, as you have on your site.

If you wish to have the Top Navigation bar, you will need to change to a Professional Design or the Responsive Design.

By the way, I did not notice you were from Northfield when I replied to another of your messages. I'm from McHenry. Good to 'meet' you.

I hope this helps.

Monday, April 3, 2023 at 4:55 PM - Response #2

Thanks Gwen,
I think I realized that after I looked closely at the thumbnails for the other designs.
I see that there isn't really enough room up there for an added nav bar with the decorations for the top header, etc.

I had to look up McHenry...it's been 50 years since I spent much time in ChicagoLand...we were practically neighbors LOL.

Thanks for your help.

Monday, April 3, 2023 at 5:08 PM - Response #3

It happens that the lightbulb moment comes after we post a question.

Your room night rate at the Hyatt Deerfield is great! It must be a perk of having your main event there. Catering sales managers have some great perks up their sleeves. Gotta love 'em! (I worked for Marriott and Hyatt.) I wonder what a block of rooms would be without the event. I like your deal! Our rooms at Hampton McHenry, a Hilton hotel, last June were $119.

I moved out of state in 1980. "Practically neighbors"... thanks for the laugh.

You are welcome. Though there is work involved, enjoy it!

Monday, April 3, 2023 at 9:00 PM - Response #4

Rick, if you want to stay with classic there are several designs with a top horizontal bar. Professionals 4,5,7,8 and all three of the advanced.

Responsive is advised for the best bang for the effort changing.

Wednesday, April 5, 2023 at 5:00 PM - Response #5

Hi Jack.

Thursday, April 6, 2023 at 5:23 PM - Response #6

I know the responsive would be awesome...Just not sure I'm ready to put in the work Smile
Thanks!

Thursday, April 6, 2023 at 11:49 PM - Response #7

The main effort is picking the right design and options. It's not terribly difficult. Pick the one that contrains the width, not the maximum one. I think some that pick he super wide one don't realize how bad it looks on wide monitors.

You don't have to do it all at once. I suggest getting a FREE site to experiment. CC should have made a dedicated topic to show how to do stuff. But that fell on deaf ears.

Responsive really is a much better choice, especially for mobile devices (hint).

Sunday, April 30, 2023 at 2:15 PM - Response #8

Hi Jack,
I do not see a need to experiment with Responsive Design on a free site. We have the ability to SAVE AS DRAFT until ready to SAVE & PUBLISH. You may be aware the root of Denison62 did spend a month or longer working on it, yet her reason was beyond the design alone. Smile

Sunday, April 30, 2023 at 2:47 PM - Response #9

There are a few bugs in the CC system that only show up when one goes back and forth between Classic and Responsive that do NOT show up in Drafts. There have been a few posts about that over the years Shocked Mostly revolved around not keeping options and image choices. I had one too. Took me bit to find my old design files.

I've converted and helped quite a few sites that ran into trouble in this area.

So use a FREE site to avoid those glitches. And you can actually try it LIVE with as many pages as desired. That's how it's done - one never really want to mess with a LIVE site for this sort of change. Accidents happen. See CC history for "events" when they converted Confused

Plus the "test" site can be shown to other admins or anyone for feedback.

I usually don't track many times I test some of my code - but I did so with the latest project (that takes all the profiles and arranges them) was a bit over 500 times. That's the number of "backups" I had. Yes CC temporarily saves that many copies.

Too bad CC never had a dedicated topic on what it means to be "Responsive" and how to set various things. Plus some anomalies that also never got fixed but there's no central location to find them.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.