ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Site Admin Instant Messaging coming?

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 09/03/10 10:12 AM Views: 2614 Replies: 12
Friday, September 3, 2010 at 10:12 AM

Morning Everyone!

First I think there is something wrong with my eyes. I am pretty sure those of you I saw here as I opened the Help Forum were here in the wee hours when my brain stopped working. Wink

Now to the reason for this post.
It is great having the messaging provided here to share and ask questions. Thanks CC! Yet, when I see someone is here and rush to send a clarification or last bit of info to hopefully solve my situation and hit send - the person is gone. At times, I have found myself moving to hit the 'chat' (as on FB) to let the other admin know my reply was a moment away. So I write wondering if we might see Instant Messaging here at some point. No rush... just a wonder.

Have a great day!
Gwen

Edited 09/03/10 10:14 AM
Friday, September 3, 2010 at 10:55 AM - Response #1

Well that's certainly an interesting thought. No, at this time we don't have any plans for IM in the Help Forums between Site Admins. I've added it to the idea list for something to consider down the road when a lot of the additional core functionality we're working on is out of the way. There are additional Creators upcoming and ultimately a lot more Admins will be in various Creator forums at the same time, it may make sense to work more on the Admin Community concept at that time.

Friday, September 3, 2010 at 10:58 AM - Response #2

Adding it to the list is just fine.
Thanks, Brad.

Gwen

Friday, September 3, 2010 at 12:02 PM - Response #3

Hmmm - How about creating a 'class' page just for administrators we could 'sign up' on, and be able to do the chat?
This probably would not work, because of a multi-site issue, much like I run into running two sites already.
Great idea though.

Friday, September 3, 2010 at 1:39 PM - Response #4

STEVE STEIN wrote:

Hmmm - How about creating a 'class' page just for administrators we could 'sign up' on, and be able to do the chat?
This probably would not work, because of a multi-site issue, much like I run into running two sites already.
Great idea though.

Steve & Brad,

If I'm interpreting what you are saying Steve, is the same as what I've been thinking about the last couple months, maybe I should just "spring" for a years subscription to CC with a domain name of say "CCadmins.com" and invite all the admins to join. That would give Brad & Company plenty of time to get their new program working and give the rest of us what we are wanting to accomplish.

Brad, would this work for you? Do you see anything wrong with this idea? After all, I could have this site up and running today or tomorrow (at least in theory) if others would be in favor of something like this. Anyone else have any thoughts about this--I'm not asking anyone for $$ support. I just want to know if this might be something other Admins would care to be a part of, till CC has the time to work on our ideas that many of us have suggested, such as profile pages and IM to name a couple.

Friday, September 3, 2010 at 1:53 PM - Response #5

John,

Couldn't the dialog be accomplished within the Forum, e.g., by adding a non-CC monitored topic? Perhaps something a little more tame than "Going Rogue" or "Site Admins Gone Wild!" CC staff could just ignore us who are using that thread, unless of course they chose to follow it for entertainment value.

Unless I'm missing something, this could be done without the cost of another site.

Bob

Friday, September 3, 2010 at 2:34 PM - Response #6

Bob Dahms wrote:

John,

Couldn't the dialog be accomplished within the Forum, e.g., by adding a non-CC monitored topic? Perhaps something a little more tame than "Going Rogue" or "Site Admins Gone Wild!" CC staff could just ignore us who are using that thread, unless of course they chose to follow it for entertainment value.

Unless I'm missing something, this could be done without the cost of another site.

Bob

Bob, my "thinking" (that's where I get into trouble), has to do with a combination of what I proposed yesterday Site Admin Profiles and what Gwen proposed here earlier as well as a couple other "features" that we as Admins, may find worthwhile sharing with each other. I definitely do not want to take away from the forums themselves. EVER!

Brad indicated it would be early winter (at best) before the profiles issue would be available. I have watched how those timelines can grow and get delayed. While I realize there are those who might not care to re-enter their personal information all over again, I also know (at least in my case) I would want to have a different profile page for fellow site admins than I have for my classmates--different questions!

The cost for a new site is minor compared to the benefits -- if it is something others would participate in.

Friday, September 3, 2010 at 4:18 PM - Response #7

Being frank, I think a CC separate site for that will be clunky. It's much better worked in to an integrated Admin community solution, which just like you said would be on the backburner so as not to delay upcoming features we're trying to get out the door. I realize you're trying to propose an interim solution so Admins here can yack it up a little, and while I'm certainly not opposed to that, I can't see it as something many people here joining and regularly logging into. If it's not integrated I think the success of it would be highly questionable.

Friday, September 3, 2010 at 4:55 PM - Response #8

I see Brads point and I agree with him
Classmate Jimmy Z

Friday, September 3, 2010 at 5:28 PM - Response #9

The God's have spoken & I've crawled back into my cave, where I belong! I should have known better when I got talked into posting the request in the first place and my two "supporters" were no where to be found!

Friday, September 3, 2010 at 7:22 PM - Response #10

As usual, Brad [and CC] have thought this through a lot longer than we did.
that is why he IS 'the man!' LOL

Two of my theories are:

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

"If you aren't part of the solution,
You are part of the problem." E.C.
Laughing

Saturday, September 4, 2010 at 7:04 PM - Response #11

I think an extended CC admin communication/information area would be exciting. I often feel the need for bonding with others in the same situation I am in. Gets lonely at times being the "parental" figure for those I knew in high school. Often, what I have to say is not worth a comment or a read from the higher authorities and, therefore, I do not post. I understand that it is down the road. I am here for the duration (until the last classmate falls).

Margaret

Saturday, January 8, 2011 at 11:01 AM - Response #12

Gwen,
I have been looking for a good way to put instructions on our site for new members. I looked at your site and really like what you have for "How to use this site". Would you mind if I use your text for my site?
Thanks so much in advance for your consideration.
Doug

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.