ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Classmate removed e-mail address - how does she log in ?

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 09/03/10 10:10 AM Views: 1335 Replies: 3
Friday, September 3, 2010 at 10:10 AM

Here's a curious one. After signing up and joining us on the CC website, a classmate removed her Primary E-mail address from her Profile.

The Primary E-mail address is a required field when a classmate joins the website. But it can be deleted after a person joins.

I happen to have saved a Downloaded Class List that was saved just a few days after she joined... and, sure enough, her e-mail address is not there. She must have signed up and quickly thereafter removed her Primary e-mail address. I can note that she has not been on the site since the day she signed up.

Her log-in information must be stored in a separate area, I would guess -- so the e-mail address that she uses to log in is in the CC system, but it is not visible to me.

Brad and Kyle: Is the login email address separate from the Primary address that is displayed ? If someone joins, then changes the Primary e-mail address, that then becomes the address the use to log-in, correct ? Or, if not, would it be a good idea or a bad idea to have the classmate's log-in e-mail address available for viewing only by the Admin ?

Friday, September 3, 2010 at 10:33 AM - Response #1

I just created a test account on my test site, signed in as the user, and then tried to delete my email address through the Edit Contact Info page. I was prompted with a popup that said Primary Email Address Is Invalid if I tried to save the page without an email address.

You are correct about the comment on changing the primary email address, does become the new login.

I was not able to delete my primary email address without a proper replacement. However, I was able to delete the address when signed in as an Admin and save the page. I then tried to log in as that person and was directed to a page that said login failed.:

Login Failed!

Invalid Login or Bad Password. REMEMBER that you can only use your primary email to log in. Please try again.

and there are fields for a Login ID and Password.

So, if the Admin deletes the Primary Email address, it effectively locks a user out of their account without deleting the profile on the site. But, the classmate cannot do this from their end.

Friday, September 3, 2010 at 1:13 PM - Response #2

Scott,

I still have this problem that I reported on several months ago, where a person with Vista can log on for the first time and not enter any information except their e-mail address and password, never entering information in so-called "required fields" and go on their merry way as if nothing else mattered.

I had other classmates bring this to my attention and after not being able to do anything about it, removed all the "required questions" as I was getting tired of the frustration. Has this been fixed yet?

Friday, September 3, 2010 at 6:30 PM - Response #3

It's not a Vista thing. Actually we're not entirely sure what it is. In rare circumstances, people with non standard Internet devices and some people on regular computers who have disabled JavaScript and things like that can get past the required fields. If JavaScript doesn't fire then the requirement that the field must be completed fails. There is no "fix" for this per se, we're going to continue to use JavaScript, but after the system restructure we're going to put in a backup checker to check to see if all required fields have been completed upon submission of the page. If not, we'll flag these cases and return the user to the form for completion of the required fields.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.