ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Visual Size of Webpage

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 11/25/08 10:29 PM Views: 1923 Replies: 6
Tuesday, November 25, 2008 at 10:29 PM

Is there a way to set the size of visible space displayed on my website, I have a large right hand margin. Can I expand it? Or rather, is there a way to reduce the size of the right hand margin?

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 at 11:52 PM - Response #1

No, but you really wouldn't want to do that anyway. Widescreen monitors have become standard these days, but numerous people out there are still using 4 x 3 monitors with 1024 x 768 resolution. In fact, the latest statistics show that 45% of people are using screen resolutions of 1024 x 768 or lower. Thus if we made the designs wider, about half of your viewers would have to scroll back and forth using a bottom scroll bar to view your site, which is never a good thing.

As 4 x 3 monitors become old school and higher resolutions become the norm we'll be releasing new designs to keep pace, but with 45% of the population still at or under 1024, that won't be for some time.

Edited 11/26/08 11:02 AM
Wednesday, November 26, 2008 at 7:04 AM - Response #2

Makes sense! Thanks and have a great Thankgiving!

Monday, December 1, 2008 at 9:09 AM - Response #3

Since there is so much empty space for 55% of the users, would the admins of each site be able to access that area?

For example, we've gotten some donations from local companies that are helping to sponsor our reunion. Could we use that area to place an ad for those companies?

As someone who has paid to register a URL through Class Creator, it would be nice to be able to have a little more control over the site.

Monday, December 1, 2008 at 11:11 AM - Response #4

I apprecaite that Jeff, but currently the answer is no. We have to make a system that works for 100% of the people, and as such all designs work for 100% of people without scrolling to the right, including for Admins.

Even if we allowed admins only to place and actually see things over to the right, I can't imagine the ads are going to get much exposure or clicks by Administrators only. Most sites only have one Administrator. You can certainly place ads within the body area of your site though. We do not have any plans at this time to allow Admins only to utilize the blank area to the right of the design, but again we do have plans to release new wider designs in the future along with growing screen resolutions. With 45% of people still using resolutions that will not permit designs to be any larger than they are currently, it probably won't be for some time until wider designs are appropriate for the public. You'll find that virtually all professional web developers are currently developing to these same standards.

Edited 12/01/08 11:12 AM
Monday, December 1, 2008 at 10:44 PM - Response #5

Sorry... I didn't mean that admins would be the only ones who could see things placed on the side of the page. I meant that we could access it to place things for all to see, but I'm guessing that's not an option based on your response.

Tuesday, December 2, 2008 at 12:04 AM - Response #6

Correct. It would be kind of like making a television commercial that cuts off 1/3rd of the picture for 45% of viewers. Nobody would ever do that. For the same reason web developers have to take into account specs of the viewers when coming up with page sizes, etc.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.