ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Capacity Questions

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 02/16/11 10:10 AM Views: 1046 Replies: 3
Wednesday, February 16, 2011 at 10:10 AM

My site is a non-school site. I currently have 1629 active members and 501 inactice. Because of circumstances at our resort, there is the potential for my list of members to grow to 5000 or more in a very short period of time. I realize it would need to be a controlled addition but I have the following questions:

1. What is the maximum I should anticipate without expecting performance problems?
  2. With any "email the class", would this be handled? (some have alternate emails as well) or would I need to email, say, A-K in one mailing and L-Z in another?
  3. I have already blocked my Profiles listing from being displayed. I use an alternate vehicle (Missing Owners) in my new signups. Aside from the Profiles tab, should anything else present a performance issue?
  4. How many members could be logged in at the same time without affecting performance?
  5. Any other advice you can offer me? I had already explored the multi-year option for this group last year and after much research and help from Brad & Co - it would not work for us.

Thanks so much!

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 at 11:06 AM - Response #1

I can tell you that we have one alumni association that has 27733 listed members and 4369 who are considered active members. Capacity should not be an issue.

1. What is the maximum I should anticipate without expecting performance problems? -- This should not be a major issue. However, I can say that if you currently use Internet Explorer, there are certain pages that might give you fits in terms of trying to load that many members. For example the Classmate profiles page and the Enter / Edit Classmates pages. You might want to come up with a way to segment these lists. Currently, the best way would be to somehow designate them by year - as we would with a multi year class site. Not sure if this could happen by establishing the members by the year they became apart of your organization.

2. With any "email the class", would this be handled? (some have alternate emails as well) or would I need to email, say, A-K in one mailing and L-Z in another? -- The email the class functionality should work just fine. You could consider creating lists, these can be set up in various ways and might be good for your situation.

3. I have already blocked my Profiles listing from being displayed. I use an alternate vehicle (Missing Owners) in my new signups. Aside from the Profiles tab, should anything else present a performance issue? -- Not sure. I don't think so. However I can't say that other unforeseen circumstances won't arise.

4. How many members could be logged in at the same time without affecting performance? -- Not an issue. The only limit might come in terms of the Instant Messenger functionality if you have that activated.

5. Any other advice you can offer me? I had already explored the multi-year option for this group last year and after much research and help from Brad & Co - it would not work for us. -- That was in one of my suggestions above and might need to be looked at again for segmentation purposes.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 at 1:40 PM - Response #2

Thanks Scott. This is great news for me.

In your #1 response - I can say that if you currently use Internet Explorer, there are certain pages that might give you fits in terms of trying to load that many members. For example the Classmate profiles page and the Enter / Edit Classmates pages. You might want to come up with a way to segment these lists. Actually I think I'm over the hump (at least so far!) with that. When I had a problem a while back, you guys added a paging feature for me so that it only loads 50 names at a time.

In your #5 response - when I had investigated the multi year - there were too many things that wouldn't work for me. I had posed a long list of questions to Support.

As long as I am no longer having issues with the Manage Classmates listing I think I am good. One question - if I have many more names in my MISSING list, will this be a problem? That page always seemed to load faster than the Profiles page and without any issues. And - hopefully they sign up quickly so the MISSING list should go down.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 at 2:44 PM - Response #3

I don't think there will be a significant issue with your load time for the Missing members page. Hopefully, that is a temporary issues anyway.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.