ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Odd Javascript situation

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 09/03/10 02:04 AM Views: 1409 Replies: 9
Friday, September 3, 2010 at 2:04 AM

Hello, Brad, Kyle, Rick, and all --
What seems to be an odd situation. It's not a bug... but something is funny.

I took the source code from my admittedly complicated home page, and cut-and-pasted it into a Survey page. I also tried pasting the source in to a Custom page -- same results.

The day countdown javascript doesn't work, and the marquee scroll doesn't work. (No javascript on the marquee scroll, just HTML.) And the random-photo-display which is using javascript DOES work.

It all works on the home page, of course.

Any ideas ?

Cheers,
-- Fred

On the custom pages as "Home Page - Big !"

Friday, September 3, 2010 at 3:50 AM - Response #1

Fred,

I'm probably all {wet} here but I notice on your home page that you have "position: absolute" set at 1100px but left width at different variables between 850-950px. It would seem to me that besides the text running off the page, things could also be a bit screwy on other pages.

Now, if this sounds like I don't know what I'm talking about, then by all means you have no obligation to reply.

Friday, September 3, 2010 at 9:59 AM - Response #2

Fred. You have one of the most complicated homepage source code pages I've seen... and I mean that in the kindest way possible. I applaud you for getting it to work as you intend.

My recommendation would be to copy and paste your page {source code} in small sections {individual elements} rather than as a whole, testing the new page each time you add a new element. You are correct in the theory that if the code works on one page, it should also work on the next. Hmmm? I'm stumped on why elements don't work.

On another note, and something that may help...

Are you using an HTML editor to generate your code? There does seem to be a lot of extra code included in the content on your homepage. Many {MANY} more font tags than necessary. Not that these tags are causing the problem, just that it would be easier to look at the code to troubleshoot if the code was a little cleaner. Your site is almost a year old, and knowing how active you are in the forums, I'm sure you have edited, add to, deleted from and otherwise changed your homepage hundreds of times since your site was set up initially. It may be time to nuke the homepage content (from withing the source) and rebuild. I know this may sound like a bit of a pain, but it would probably be the best thing you could do since you are so active in terms of using the page. I know the homepage code is still technically working on the homepage, and why fix what 's not broken? But, I think this would make your editing of the code going forward much easier. Who knows, it may solve our mystery problem above at the same time.

Friday, September 3, 2010 at 10:29 AM - Response #3

Scott Mastenbrook wrote:

Fred. You have one of the most complicated homepage source code pages I've seen... and I mean that in the kindest way possible. I applaud you for getting it to work as you intend.

Hi, Scott -- Thanks for writing. Your reply brought a smile to me. Other than the two instances of Javascript and the 38 examples of absolute positioning, what's complicated about it ? haha.

Quote:

"Many {MANY} more font tags than necessary. Not that these tags are causing the problem, just that it would be easier to look at the code to troubleshoot if the code was a little cleaner.

What you see with the very clear extra code is entirely from the CC editor. I occasionally remove some of the useless tag pairings if I am working on a section of code. The editor just puts them in, more and more. If a person never views the source code, it doesn't make a difference. But as you note, when dealing with the source code directly, it's hard to see what's really in there.

And, as you say, I've probably pressed the Save button a couple of hundred times. My experience is that each time the page is saved, the HTML editor will find a way to put in some more non-functional tag pairings.

Your idea of pasting the code into a new page a chunk at a time is a good one. For that matter, I can just get the first javascript (the day countdown) to work on a very simplistic page, and then add from there.

You may wonder why I'd want the entire contents of the home page on a different page. My idea was to make a "second" home page with all the links and fun stuff. (It wouldn't have the Profile Updates, the Birthdays, and the Where We Live boxes on the 2nd page, of course -- unless you can show me how to add them to an internal page.)

We have 35 days until our reunion. Lots of people still haven't paid. We are getting good web traffic -- 127 people over the past 7 days, 233 members over the past 30 days.

It may be time to have an extremely simple home page that says "Coming to the Reunion ? Then send in your money !" (or a related message) in BIG BOLD words, and hardly anything else. Something to get their attention, eh ?

Thanks for your help, Scott !
-- Fred

Friday, September 3, 2010 at 10:46 AM - Response #4

It sounds like you have great participation with your site. I understand your reasoning for the move, and think its a good idea. Good luck!

Friday, September 3, 2010 at 10:47 AM - Response #5

Did you know if you add "&ascii=y" to the URL of the custom page you're editing, the system simply brings up a textarea instead of the editor? When working with this much raw html this may be a bette solution for you. The editor is coded to attempt to fix common problems people make on the page, which is why it's probably corrupting various things in a page with this type of complexity.

Friday, September 3, 2010 at 10:53 AM - Response #6

Brad Switzer wrote:

The editor is coded to attempt to fix common problems people make on the page, which is why it's probably corrupting various things in a page with this type of complexity.

Thanks, Brad -- I'll try what you suggest, and, as Scott suggested, paste it in a section at a time and get that section to display properly.

Do you know if the new HTML specifications are going to include an "if-not-paid-do-not-display" function ? I need something to get these procrastinators in motion. This is a common issue for the all of us in organizing the reunions, I guess.

Thanks !
-- Fred

Friday, September 3, 2010 at 11:21 AM - Response #7

I realize you're further along but most people who want to ensure payments are now toggling on that items must be purchased at the time of submitting registration. We could potentially add a new checkbox when delayed payment option is turned on that reads:

Don't list Classmates as "attending reunion" until payment has been received.

So it just wouldn't show the attending reunion icon at all. We'd also have to leave the dropdown in their own Profile to null and if they tried to manually set it to Yes prior to paying we'd need to pop up "Sorry you cannot display to others that you are attending the reunion until payment has been received."

Would all of that work for you?

Friday, September 3, 2010 at 11:40 AM - Response #8

Hi, Brad --
A few things to note:
-- Our class isn't taking payments through CC. So requiring to pay during the registration wouldn't work for us, and others. Among what would be helpful for people who are also doing this would be a very simple means of marking that a classmate has paid. More like a list with checkboxes, rather than entering each person individually. Of course, for reunions with more than one event, you'd want to have multiple columns... or maybe this is too complicated. And checkbox entry is easily prone to errors, and accidental erasures, etc -- it's not good for accounting. My answer is: I don't know what would be best here. I'm not using CC at all to keep track of who has paid.

-- I think you absolutely need to have the "attending reunion" icon be visible, from the time the classmate says "Yes".... If the icon were only visible after the classmate had paid, it wouldn't have the same momentum in terms of the class of seeing who was coming. I was thinking of another icon that says "not paid yet" that the Admin could turn on a few weeks before the event -- it shouldn't be visible for the months prior to the event, just shortly before, at the option of the Admin. But then that's one more icon... Or rather than an icon, a small graphic of "Not Paid" ?

By the way, you can see the multiple choice that I added as custom Profile questions... to give people some "reasons" rather than just saying Yes/Maybe/No. Just to add some fun to it all.

Quote:

if they tried to manually set it to Yes prior to paying we'd need to pop up "Sorry you cannot display to others that you are attending the reunion until payment has been received."

I don't want to tie in the marking of "Yes" to requiring a payment. That's too constrictive, and would be a turn-off, I think.

Cheers,
-- Fred

Friday, September 3, 2010 at 12:33 PM - Response #9

I agree with you that not showing that icon if delayed payment is allowed would lessen momentum. I was suggesting the option though as something that could be enabled late in the game as a means of motivating stragglers to get their payment in. I.E. Please make your payment by XX date or otherwise we can no longer show you as"attending reunion" on the site." Something like that...just batting around ideas. We can look at a better/faster way of logging manual payments more in the Fall as we revamp the Reunion Planner for the next season. Maybe some type of online spreadsheet setup would be beneficial. At least you can do it now as you've noted, even if you have to enter payments one at a time. There's no doubt a more efficient means of doing this here though.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.