ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Adding "Logged in Only" Option to the "Edit Site Pages" Page

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 04/23/09 06:12 PM Views: 1451 Replies: 8
Thursday, April 23, 2009 at 6:12 PM

Perhaps someone can let me know if this suggestion has already been made or is planned.

Would it be possible to add the same kind of "Logged in Only" option (that appears on the Home Page settings) to the admin's "Edit Site Pages" page? My thinking is that it would be useful for the admin to show/hide pages from the left-side menu based on whether someone is logged in WITHOUT having to institute a site password, which is currently the method that's available when editing site pages.

This way, users only have to remember one password. And, it would be a good way to entice people to register on the site...since users can currently view most of the main pages (if there's no site password) without ever registering on the site.

Thoughts?

Paul

Thursday, April 23, 2009 at 6:58 PM - Response #1

Paul Boyle wrote:

Perhaps someone can let me know if this suggestion has already been made or is planned.

Would it be possible to add the same kind of "Logged in Only" option (that appears on the Home Page settings) to the admin's "Edit Site Pages" page? My thinking is that it would be useful for the admin to show/hide pages from the left-side menu based on whether someone is logged in WITHOUT having to institute a site password, which is currently the method that's available when editing site pages.

This way, users only have to remember one password. And, it would be a good way to entice people to register on the site...since users can currently view most of the main pages (if there's no site password) without ever registering on the site.

Thoughts?

Paul

Paul,

I don't believe that a separate password is needed for pages that you have password protected. All I did was check the box, and my classmates can reach the pages just by logging into the site on the homepage...at this prevents folks outside of the class from seeing information meant only for alumni.

Vicki

Thursday, April 23, 2009 at 8:35 PM - Response #2

Under Edit Site Pages you can make any section of the site password protected by adding the password protected check box

Thursday, April 23, 2009 at 9:35 PM - Response #3

Thanks to both of you for the replies. It sounds like you're both saying the same thing...that only the checkbox needs to be checked. I guess from the wording on the bottom of the "Edit Site Pages" page (pasted below), it sounded like both a site password and a user's personal password were needed to protect those pages...so perhaps the wording just needs to be modified?

"Password Protection: You can password protect any page of your site by placing a checkmark in the Password column next to the page name above. You must also enter a system password below, then press "Update Password." Anybody with your system password will be able to access all password protected areas of your site, and any restricted Classmate Profiles."

-------

Before submitting this post, I tried to check one of the boxes on Edit Site Pages. I got a pop-up window saying "Before you can password protect this page, you must enter a password below and then click the Update Password button." I get this pop-up when trying to select any of the checkboxes.

Paul

Thursday, April 23, 2009 at 10:35 PM - Response #4

Right. You need to create a system password before you can password protect any page. I.E. before a page can have a password, a password has to actually exist.

I'm open to any wording changes if you think something can be made more clear. The most important instructions on that page regarding this issue you didn't paste though, and those are as follows:

"Note: Password protection will stop the public and search engines from accessing a password protected area on your web site. It will not stop a Classmate with an account from accessing any page of your site, even if the page is password protected."

I.E. we're indicating to Admins that if a Classmate has already logged in, that Classmate will be able to access ALL pages on your site even if you have password protected those pages to keep the public and search engines out.

Monday, April 27, 2009 at 2:01 PM - Response #5

I do think it's confusing, Brad, especially since I had asked earlier about this in a different context.

For example, when I go to my main admin page, almost all sections are checked under "password" but they don't have assigned passwords. They're just sections viewable only to registered members.

That's why I got momentarily thrown when I couldn't do this with the forum section. That was the first time I'd been asked for a specific password.

Monday, April 27, 2009 at 2:35 PM - Response #6

Any wording suggestions on what would make it more clear to you?

Monday, April 27, 2009 at 2:43 PM - Response #7

The only thing I can think of - assuming admins don't have the option to have restricted pages viewable only to those given access - would be to have them as separate categories.

One could be labeled "login protected" (viewable only to those logged in) and one labeled "password protected".

Or you could just set up one folder (like the Reunion Folder) to have restricted access if desirable. I honestly don't see that much need for private convos with all the other resources out there, but I could be wrong on that.

Monday, April 27, 2009 at 6:51 PM - Response #8

Ok. We have some upcoming tasks that will further impact the wording here. I've made a note to myself to review the wording when we get to those Tasks.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.