ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Windows 7 and playlist.com

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 06/05/11 06:51 PM Views: 2160 Replies: 26
Sunday, June 5, 2011 at 6:51 PM

I recently changed from XP to Windows 7 (new computer).

I have never had a problem with Playlist.com and my class pages. I have a few playlists associated with different pages.

With my old XP as soon as the website was opened 1 of the playlists I had set to autostart came on. Now it doesn't. I have it set for 2 songs to play automatically in the IN Memory section and now they don't play.

I did go to playlist.com and added a song and when I went after the embed code, I noticed their site used to have an "autostart" option and this time I couldn't find it. (Has anyone else with an older site noticed this?)

I've tested this on both Firefox 4.0.1 and IE8

any suggestions? It really sucks not having the music start automatically. With so many changes, I don't know where the problem lies.

Sunday, June 5, 2011 at 7:22 PM - Response #1

Someone else noticed this the other day. Looks like they removed and disabled autostart. It's not a Windows 7 change.

Monday, June 6, 2011 at 10:15 AM - Response #2

I noticed it too. But some group members do prefer not to have the auto start, so to please everyone I'd changed the first 2 songs often. No one has remarked about the loss of the auto start. I wonder if anyone noticed or just relieved ? And I didn't have anything to do with it! Smile

Monday, June 6, 2011 at 11:48 AM - Response #3

It does look that way, I wonder why they decided to not offer autostart anymore. I had classmates that would use the music at work, and not have to actually sign in on their employers intranet.

Oh well, at least I found out it was a playlist thing.

Thank you all for your responses! Smile

Monday, June 6, 2011 at 12:29 PM - Response #4

Hi Sandie,
Sadly, the auto-start option does not appear to be available anymore, and there is an addition of "commercials" on the playlist, although they are about 20 seconds long. It is a sign of the times, apparently. You can create an alternative with mixpod.com that starts automatically, and still keep your original playlists available to start at will. Some of our classmates also remarked that they loved the music as a "bonus",etc at work and i am hopeful that playlist will change their mind.
But in the meantime, until the "next big thing", mixpod is an option. Many songs seemed to have been pulled, but it's kinda fun and there are tons of choices or "plan B's" for those willing to find them...Sorry.
It was "fun while it lasted"...!Cool

Monday, June 6, 2011 at 12:31 PM - Response #5

Last night our home page playlist played an ad.????Shocked

Monday, June 6, 2011 at 12:53 PM - Response #6

I wrote two letters to customer service @ playlist.com. They sent me a reply saying that some groups were complaining about the auto-start option??? They removed it for good. I wrote back and told them that many of us want auto-start and why not just give 2 options? "Auto-start" and "start manually". Why not make everyone happy? How hard can it be??? Waiting to see if they reply back again. You need to write to them, if enough people let them know that we want the auto-start option, maybe we can get it back!

444 High Street, Suite 220
Palo Alto, CA 94301
Fax: (650) 376-0001

or use their contact form on their web site under "contact"!

Monday, June 6, 2011 at 12:59 PM - Response #7

Thelma Alcordo wrote:

I wonder if anyone noticed or just relieved ?Smile

When the internet first took off, it opened up a way for anyone to "show off". No sooner had the first page appeared with auto-start music that soon (too) many pages had music that started immediately. Didn't take long for that to fall out of favorWink

A short history.

Monday, June 6, 2011 at 7:56 PM - Response #8

Thanks for the contact point, Jill.
I took your advice and this is the response I received...

"Hello fellow Playlister!

I'm sorry to say that the auto-start for embedded players is no longer available. This is because of sites and web users not happy to be hit with unsolicited music that might interrupt any other ongoing listening experience. If somebody visiting your playlist wants to listen to it then they can always click to play.

Hope this is helpful and sorry for any inconveniences!"

Here's my reply
"To Whomever it may concern,
Thank you for your reply.
Although it is understandable, why can't there be an option for autostart as there was before. the non-autostart would be the standard with the autostart being a choice. It is an option on other sites, and the music automatically playing is the desired effect on many sites. There are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of users through our class reunion parent site that use your autostart feature and love it. It is also an easy option to have a choice, not an either/or choice.
There are hundreds/thousands who agree with me but are left speechless, as well as "music-less".
Mixpod.com has the autoplay option still and although not perfect, the desired effect is achieved. I speak for many when I say that we hope you change your mind and rethink this decision.
Thank you.

Respectfully,"
And this is the response that I received to my response!
"Hello fellow Playlister!

I'm sorry to say that the auto-start for embedded players is no longer available. This is because of sites and web users not happy to be hit with unsolicited music that might interrupt any other ongoing listening experience. If somebody visiting your playlist wants to listen to it then they can always click to play.

Apparently it is a Robo-response!

Perhaps others can sound off to them and they may "listen". Ohwell...it was Fun while it lasted! Until then, mixpod.com helps meet the need for "instant music", not perfect, but nice to have an alternative!
Until then, when Plan A,B and C fail, try Plan D! and even E, on down the line if necessary!

Edited 06/06/11 8:30 PM
Monday, June 6, 2011 at 7:59 PM - Response #9

My class loved the atuo-start. I contacted playlist and their response is below. It doesn't sound like they intend to bring it back!

"I'm sorry to say that the auto-start for embedded players is no longer available. This is because of sites and web users not happy to be hit with unsolicited music that might interrupt any other ongoing listening experience. If somebody visiting your playlist wants to listen to it then they can always click to play.

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 at 7:23 AM - Response #10

Sandy Lindeman wrote:

"Hope this is helpful and sorry for any inconveniences!"

No, it's not really helpful, and it's another way of saying "Thanks for not complaining." I suspect Playlist.com may also be implementing this "feature" to preserve bandwidth, although I can't say for sure.

I tried a few HTML hacks to pass autostart parameters to the player, but there's no workaround. I'll be looking at Mixpod and other alternatives, which will save Playlist.com even more bandwidth. Wink

Thursday, June 9, 2011 at 10:58 AM - Response #11

Check out www.flashwidgetz.com. They can actually "import" playlist.com and Mixpod.com to your new Flashwidgetz playlist that will Auto Start (at least now, hope this is not a trend).

Thursday, June 9, 2011 at 1:35 PM - Response #12

Derrell, Thanks for the tip. Flashwidgetz.com works great and they have some of the songs I lost on Playlist.

The Admin Forum once again is a lifesaver, or at least a music saver.

Thursday, June 9, 2011 at 3:13 PM - Response #13
danceregypt.gif

Derrell,
Thanks so much for the excellent reference! What a treasure!
How wonderful to be able to combine both playlists! And have Autostart! The options are wonderful also! What Fun!
I agree with Vicki, you are a life-aver and a music saver (because "music is life"Cool)
Thanks a million! You saved me from much angst as the holidays and special playlists have become a staple for sanity and variety's sake!
It is appreciated more than words can say!
Long live the music! (and autostart!)
Thanks again!Very Happy

p.s. LoveIt,LoveIt,LoveIt!
Best news all week!
ThankYou! ThankYou! ThankYou!
This should definitely e added to Brad's List of Tips!!!Cool

Edited 06/09/11 5:06 PM
Thursday, June 9, 2011 at 3:33 PM - Response #14

Kris Thrailkill wrote:

Derrell,
Thanks so much for the excellent reference! What a treasure!
How wonderful to be able to combine both playlists! And have Autostart! The options are wonderful also! What Fun!
I agree with Vicki, you are a life-aver and a music saver (because "music is life"Cool)
Thanks a million! You saved me from much angst as the holidays and special playlists have become a staple for sanity and variety's sake!
It is appreciated more than words can say!
Long live the music! (and autostart!)
Thanks again!Very Happy

Blush, Blush. Embarassed I like it also; works very well.

Friday, June 10, 2011 at 12:06 AM - Response #15

Derrell Pulis wrote:

Check out www.flashwidgetz.com. They can actually "import" playlist.com and Mixpod.com to your new Flashwidgetz playlist that will Auto Start (at least now, hope this is not a trend).

Thanks, Derrell. I'll give flashwidgetz a try.

Friday, June 10, 2011 at 10:07 AM - Response #16

Arnold Collens wrote:

I posted my complaint that Playlist Auto Start was removed on Playlist's Facebook page. I received a response from Rand Boland, I've modified his remarks to fix CC as follows:

Go to Edit Site Page, then the Home Page Edit, Open source code with its button and search for your Playlist HTML code on the notepad script.

We are looking for the script that reads " http://www.musicplaylist.us/mc/mp3player_new.swf?" (There are TWO sets in the whole so replace them both with the following)
Replace the "http://www.musicplaylist.us/mc/mp3player_new.swf?" with "http://www.he.playlist.com/players/893/mp3player.swf?" remember there are TWO sets of the no auto play code so replace them both.

Tested and it works perfectly.

Arnie

Saturday, June 11, 2011 at 12:12 PM - Response #17

Thanks, that works, too. Idea I suspected there was a change to the .SWF music player that changed the autoplay. The only concern I'd have is that Playlist.com hosts the "mp3player.swf" file, so they still control the content of the file. They could replace it or remove it at a later time. For now, it'll work.

Saturday, June 11, 2011 at 1:02 PM - Response #18

There's one thing that is sort of being ignored ... not everyone appreciates music that starts blasting on opening a page (Thelma hinted at this).

IOW Playlist reacted to user preferences which are different from earlier generations. I personally get a tad upset with music that starts blasting without my input. I scramble to find my PC's mute button Twisted Evil

To be sure that your users really want this, try a poll. That's anonymous enough that you should get good feedback. (Our group does not want autostart.)

Are earlier generations really that different or is it regional?

I'd be interested in the results.

Saturday, June 11, 2011 at 1:51 PM - Response #19

I agree with Jack and James:

1. Playlist.com controls what happens with that revised code when it hits their servers. They can change it to NOT start automatically at any moment they choose, as James points out.

2. IMO, It's bad 'netiquette' to create a site that begins an audio or video automatically when you click to that page, as Jack writes.

Depending on the age range of your users, they may be viewing your site at work (possibly against company rules) and the last thing they want to have happen is to hear some heavy-metal band from the 80's playing loud enough for all those in nearby cubicles to pick up on what your visitor is doing.

My suggested solution is to create the player as a pop-out from the page. The text on the base page would explain how to use the pop-out player and alert the user that music or video will begin to play when the pop-out window opens. (However with the recent playlist changes, it won't begin to play; you'll have to instruct them to click on the play button.)

HERE ARE INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO DO THIS

Edited 06/11/11 1:53 PM
Thursday, June 16, 2011 at 8:15 PM - Response #20

Flashwidgetz has disappeared for me! Are you have any luck with it?

Thursday, June 16, 2011 at 9:20 PM - Response #21

Venita Cronk wrote:

Flashwidgetz has disappeared for me! Are you have any luck with it?

Vicki, it's not working for me, either. The site isn't responding to a ping, either. Time to find another MP3 player site, I guess. Sad

Thursday, June 16, 2011 at 9:43 PM - Response #22

Ours hasn't been available for the past day or so, but as i was creating our playlist last week, there was a little blurb about "new improvements to be announced soon" or something to that effect. I am hopeful that it is a temporary glitch. It was/is most fun and so many songs!! The fact that I could combine mixpod and playlist is amazing, without having to find all the songs again was amazing! Thanks, Derrell!
In the meantime, i have used the code for playlist from Arnie in the other forum and it's great also! Thanks, Arnie! It is just the ticket for our Memory page also...Until then, i remain optimistic.Cool I think it's an "upgrade moment"!
Hope springs Eternal!

Edited 06/16/11 9:46 PM
Friday, June 17, 2011 at 7:46 PM - Response #23

Flashwidgetz is gone for now. I don't know when they'll be back.
http://www.markosweb.com/www/flashwidgetz.com/

Is Flashwidgetz.com Down?
Latest result: Website is DOWN
Latest test time and date: 6:32:08 PM June 17, 2011
Latest test duration: 1.685 seconds
Error details: Connection reset by peer

There's a workaround to playlist.com's autostart, and I suggested a manual method to migrate your playlist (and your control of it) over to the Class Creator MP3 widget here:

Playlist Auto Play on Startup - FIX

Friday, June 17, 2011 at 9:22 PM - Response #24

It's responding to a ping now, so could just be system failed and is being restored or the upgrade mentioned before that went bad?

Friday, June 17, 2011 at 10:20 PM - Response #25

Jack Vermeulen wrote:

It's responding to a ping now, so could just be system failed and is being restored or the upgrade mentioned before that went bad?

It's pinging, so the network is there, but still no webserver process to respond to the browser.

PING flashwidgetz.com (74.3.166.69) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from www.flashwidgetz.com (74.3.166.69): icmp_seq=1 ttl=41 time=81.4 ms

I'm still getting "connection reset by peer". They could be working on it.

I get a little picky about my webservers at work, and I like to host my own content, rather than relying on a link to another server that may go away or change content. That's what made me start thinking about using the CC-hosted MP3 widget. That brings the content and the control back to our sites. The MP3s can stay where they are, as you said. Wink

Sunday, June 19, 2011 at 2:31 PM - Response #26

Just an FYI, "flashwidgetz" has returned.
It's a very nice alternative, and you can combine your playlists, with mixpod,etc, videos included, and there seems to be many options that are not offered other places. Very Fun option!
For those like myself, that need a very user-friendly option, this is great! Thanks, Derrell.
Thanks to Arnie, for the playlist fix! It works great also!
Thanks also to James for the insights and alternative. Great option. Someday i will perhaps be able to figure it all out!
Until then, long live the music!
Thanks again to everyone!
flashwidgetz.com

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.