ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

A Usable System Password

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 07/14/10 09:04 PM Views: 1233 Replies: 3
Wednesday, July 14, 2010 at 9:04 PM

I’m bound by the Profile Visibility option not to give out the system password. (This option says “Allow only fellow Classmates to view my Profile details.”)

Suggestion 1: Add a system password that allows access to all pages except profiles of classmates who checked the Profile Visibility box.

And/or

Suggestion 2: Add an option to the Edit Profile page that says “Allow only fellow Classmates and those with the system password to view my Profile details.”

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 at 9:26 PM - Response #1

This was discussed here previously and raised many usability and security concerns. Ultimately the users overwhelmingly voted against this, citing many alternative ways to share a Profile. See this thread to see how the discussion played out.

Edited 07/14/10 9:27 PM
Thursday, July 15, 2010 at 12:09 PM - Response #2

Hi, Brad.

Thanks for the response. My Usable System Password suggestion is completely different from my earlier Family and Friends Password suggestion, but never mind that now. I just tried the system password for the first time and discovered it doesn’t work as advertised. The description on the Edit Site Pages page says:

"Anybody with your system password will be able to access all password protected areas of your site, and any restricted Classmate Profiles."

When I tried it, the password allowed me to access all of the password protected areas EXCEPT the restricted Classmate Profiles and the Class Discussions (called the High Life Forum on our website).

Can you explain this apparent contradiction?

Thanks.

Thursday, July 15, 2010 at 12:40 PM - Response #3

I'll check out the system password and get back to you. Note in the other thread I mentioned we'll add the other suggested password to Advanced Preferences. It may be awhile before we construct that page though. Your point of making it optional is obviously the way to go on this.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.