ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

IP addresses

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 04/23/09 10:10 AM Views: 1624 Replies: 5
Thursday, April 23, 2009 at 10:10 AM

I am trying to set up the new thread forum. I have a problem with the IP address showing up after the posting date of the individual classmate. Is this suppose to happen? I would prefer not to have the IP address of any classmate show on the forum or anywhere.
I feel like this is something very private and should not be shown. Please tell me how to deactivate the IP address from showing up on any post from classmates.
Thank You,
Mary Ann Edens, Roosevelt 1958

Thursday, April 23, 2009 at 11:27 AM - Response #1

Brad Switzer wrote:

Thanks Patrick. Smile

As you've mentioned there's a few things admins see that Classmates don't see. IP address is one of them. More than likely you'll never need to know somebody's IP address. But on rare occassion there is good reason for having a record of what IP things were posted from.

The above quote is from the following forum search.
http://forums.classcreator.com/messages.cfm?messageid=6267AC61-E46E-9417-E01E9355CC4D9CF3#6267AC61-E46E-9417-E01E9355CC4D9CF3

It says that IP address is only visible to admins.

Monday, December 5, 2011 at 4:30 PM - Response #2

I did not want to start a new thread regarding IP Addresses, so I thought I would just 'tag' along on this one.

I discovered the ‘View Location Trace’ recently when trying to verify the ‘location’ of a classmate who never filled in their address – only their email address. He was supposed to be living in Texas, yet the trace shows New York City.
Using some other resources, I discovered that he indeed had a Texas address.
I thought: defective link?
So I went into MY profile, and it shows past log-ins as being my current location, as well as those in New York City and Kansas, all in 2011. I have NOT been to those locations in recent YEARS.
I checked a now deceased classmates profile that I managed [he was incapacitated years ago due to a stroke] and found NO history of log-ins, though I indeed did log in as him.
I am thinking IF the IP Address trace is correct, then someone has somehow gotten my password and logged in as me. Along those same lines, using the trace feature would be a great way to ‘verify’ a new classmate when they register for the first time, to be sure someone else isn’t using their name to access the site.
If the trace is flawed – well, I don’t know.
Can you offer some insight please?

Monday, December 5, 2011 at 4:40 PM - Response #3

Steve,

When YOU login, sometimes it could really be a ClassCreator employee logging in as you to see the problems you are describing. The IP Address will show up as where our current computer is located. If I did it at home, it would show up at a different location than when I logged in to your site at my place of employment.

We have access to your website and can log in as if we are you, but we have no interest in reading your messages or sending out e-mails or other mischief with your website.

The IP addresses haven't always been recorded, so your deceased friend might have passed away before IP Addresses were logged .

If you have Google Analytics or StatCounter installed, you can check the IP Address of those visiting your website. I just now visited your website, so you should see my IP Address. I visited your HOME PAGE, your Classmate Profiles and your IN MEMORY pages.

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, December 6, 2011 at 10:32 PM - Response #4

All well and good Kyle, but are you telling me that CC has folks located North of El Dorado, KS, SW of Central Park in New York City, etc?
These are IP addresses that are coming up.
NOLNE from Michigan, and the only Texas one is near my location.
Without further explaination, I am suspicios of this activity.
Perhaps a flawed IP tracker?
The system has been compromised?

Thanks,
Steve

Tuesday, December 6, 2011 at 11:54 PM - Response #5

Do you have a SPRINT PCS phone? All of the IP Addresses that start with 66.87. are SPRINT PCS. .pools.spcsdns.net

Do you have a BLACKBERRY phone? All of the IP Addresses that start with 74.82 seem to be from .rdns.blackberry.net

The 72.177 IP Address is from .austin.res.rr.com (probably your past local internet provider)

The 98.195. IP Address is hsd1.tx.comcast.net (probably your current local Internet Provider)

I would guess that if you have/had a SPRINT PCS and/or BLACKBERRY phone, you don't always get the same IP Address each time you connect to the Internet. Maybe your device doesn't have a static IP Address. But I could be wrong.

The 199.192 IP Address is mine.

I also believe that the 144.29. IP Address is also a ClassCreator employee. Just because the IP Address is owned by a company who is in New Jersey, it doesn't mean that the person who was accessing the website was in New Jersey when he was accessing the website.

For example, when I view the IP Addresses on my own website for my name, one of them says PORTLAND OREGON, but I have never accessed my website from Portland Oregon, but I know that the IP Address belongs to Integra Telecom which is the ISP that my company (not ClassCreator) has.

I don't think there is a problem.

If you installed StatCounter, you could look at the actual cities where the IP Addresses are coming from. The ClassCreator program only stores the IP Address and the IP Address look-up can only tell the company that owns the IP Address. It cannot tell the location of the user of that IP Address.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.