ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Logging out of the website

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 01/31/20 07:12 AM Views: 632 Replies: 20
Friday, January 31, 2020 at 7:12 AM

Can someone please confirm that it's still necessary to log out of our websites when we leave them or will we automatically be logged out when we close the browser?

Thanks

Friday, January 31, 2020 at 10:07 AM - Response #1

On the Log In page, I have the box "Keep Me Logged In" checked. When I close the Google Chrome browser, I remain logged in.

Friday, January 31, 2020 at 11:27 AM - Response #2

Thanks, Scott but I always thought that by ticking the 'Keep me logged in' box I was actually making sure that my Email address and Password were entered automatically when I arrived at the website (this is what does happen)and I only had to click on the blue Log In button to gain access to the site's page. That is how it's working for me.

Whether I use the Log Out link under the white Head and Shoulders image or whether I just close my browser, when I return to the website I still have to Log In.

From what you're saying, if you leave your computer unattended anyone could access the website by just going to it on your computer and that doesn't sound right.

I asked the question because some years ago I was told by Class Creator that if a member didn't Log Out it left the potential for anyone trawling the Internet to access the website.

I'm just preparing something on website security for my members and want to be sure of my facts before I publish it.

Friday, January 31, 2020 at 11:29 AM - Response #3

It keeps you logged in unless your browser automatically clears cookies or you choose the Log out link under Member Functions

Friday, January 31, 2020 at 11:34 AM - Response #4

Thanks, Jess. I think that explains it. My browser is probably set to automatically clear cookies.

Friday, January 31, 2020 at 12:13 PM - Response #5

I've just checked, Jess, and none of my browsers are set to clear cookies automatically,and whichever browser I use I still have to Log In every time I visit my website whether I check the 'Keep me logged in' box or not.

Friday, January 31, 2020 at 12:28 PM - Response #6

Mark, it's true if you have the "Keep Me Logged In" box checked, that anyone could access your website by just going to it on your computer. However, most of us need to enter a pin or password when we first turn on our computer, so there is a level of security to prevent someone from going directly to our website. Since I access my site twenty times a day, I enjoy the convenience of not having to log in each time. I don't know why you have to log in every time if your browser is not set to clear cookies.

Friday, January 31, 2020 at 1:01 PM - Response #7

Yes, it is a puzzle, Scott. Hopefully, someone will come up with an answer or even a suggestion.

I understand why you don't need to worry about someone else accessing your computer if you use a pin or password to enter your computer for the first time any day. I don't have a need to use a pin or a password as I work alone but I do leave my computer on all day and I could see the automatic password and Email address entry being a problem if I were working in a public place instead of at home. As much as I trust my family, it would be easy for them to access my website as we share the computer. I can't see a real solution to that without preventing automatic entry and I'd rather not do that as I have trouble memorising passwords as it is! If it begins to bother me I might have to do as you do and use a password to gain computer entry as an individual.

I'm going to take a closer look at my AVG PC Tuneup which does automatic maintenance to see whether that is clearing the cookies automatically.

Friday, January 31, 2020 at 1:02 PM - Response #8

Do you have any antivirus or other security software that clears them for you automatically?

Friday, January 31, 2020 at 1:16 PM - Response #9

Jess, our paths must have crossed because I mentioned that in my last post. I use AVG Anti-Virus and AVG PC Tuneup that does automatic maintenance so what you say is a possibility. I took a quick look and couldn't find any of the settings that might cause the problem but I've posted a question about it on the AVG Community website to see if anyone has any ideas.

I'll let you know if I learn anything.
Thanks

Friday, January 31, 2020 at 1:24 PM - Response #10

Mark,
In response to your original question, it's somewhat misleading since the system will no longer show someone as "logged in" when their network session ends - effectively logging them out. The "Keep Me Logged In" option sets a cookie which (assuming cookies aren't being cleared) is read when you go to the site and effectively logs back in for you.

Friday, January 31, 2020 at 7:00 PM - Response #11

Strange as it may sound, I've never checked the keep me logged in option. I stay logged in until I log out. Does that for Four different browsers.

The "keep" option usually just sets the expiration date way in the future. I have no idea why mine never expire. Has been that way since day one.

Sounds like AVG is clearing the cookies here though OR the date is messed up somehow?

Saturday, February 1, 2020 at 7:30 AM - Response #12

Jessica and all.

I contacted AVG who asked me to check the 'Keep me logged in'facility on other sites I use. I checked Amazon and theirs works for me. I can check their box, close the browser, come back to the site and find I'm still logged in.

AVG have suggested it's possibly a problem with my website's Log In settings, particularly the Log Out timing and they need to be changed.

Can someone take a look for me please.

Saturday, February 1, 2020 at 2:08 PM - Response #13

Mark, why not just temporarily disable AVG and see what happens. That removes it as a possible source.

Since most (don't know might be all) don't have the issue, it's something to do with how your system is configured. If you have a phone, see how it behaves using that browser. Android comes with Chrome. That also works for me 100% of the time. Have never set "keep me logged in" there.

Unless CC internally keeps track of that setting? I have set that in the distant past, just to check.

Saturday, February 1, 2020 at 7:12 PM - Response #14

Jack, sorry, I forgot to mention it but I did try disabling AVG and it made no difference so, as you said it does, it removes it as a possible source. With AVG out of the reckoning, and as the same thing happens with whatever browser I use,CC's settings are the only other thing I think it could be.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try it on a phone.

Saturday, February 1, 2020 at 10:43 PM - Response #15

Just to be sure, I'm talking about AVG-Tuneup, not the anti-virus. I run AVG anti-virus

(FYI: AVG was selling your data - exposed just now and they are disabling the site data that a "buyer" could use to track YOU.)

One post I read said you can not disable AVG-Tuneup. To do that - disable it -, you have to uninstall it.

Do you recall when this started happening?

You also might try installing a browser you don't have installed yet - Like Opera - and see how it behaves. That way it will probably not have any sort of "extras" installed yet. Although AVG will still interact.

Edited 02/01/20 10:44 PM
Sunday, February 2, 2020 at 2:54 PM - Response #16

Yes, Jack, it is AVG Tuneup I'm talking about too. There is an option to disable Automatic Maintenance but you have to search for it. Firstly, you have to click on 'Maintenance', then on 'Menu', then on 'Settings', then on 'Automatic Maintenance', then choose 'Automatic Maintenance Off/On'.

I did as you suggested and downloaded Opera. I entered my Email address and Password for the first time ever using Opera, checked the 'Keep me logged in' box and then hit the Log In button. I waited a couple of minutes then closed the browser. When I returned to Opera a minute later, lo and behold, my website was there and I was still logged in. I don't know if it's important but I didn't allow Opera to save my Log In details when asked.

I'll next try removing the automatic entry of my Log In details from the browsers I've used before, enter them manually, and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks for the guidance.

Sunday, February 2, 2020 at 3:12 PM - Response #17

The "Save my Log In details" just saves your Login Name and PW. If you logout you would have to log in again and manually enter all that. If you save, then it will be there automatically and all you do is press enter.

Well, it's progress. So it points to a setting in the other browsers. Opera is derived from Chrome. So you could start wth Chrome and manually clear ClassCreator only.

Click on top URL when on your site, hover over the "not secure" and click the left mouse button. Click "Site Settings", Click "clear data". You can also click "reset Permissions". Browse the other settings there and verify settings for just classcreator.

Edited 02/02/20 3:13 PM
Wednesday, February 5, 2020 at 12:12 PM - Response #18

Jack,

Using my AVG Secure browser -

1) I did as you suggested and tried resetting permissions and clearing data. Neither had any effect on the problem.

2) I checked the 'Keep me logged in on this computer' box on these CC Forums and when I closed my browser and returned to the site, I was still logged in.

3) I allowed AVG to access my computer remotely (I trust them) and watched as they spent an hour trying different settings. They were unable to correct the problem and still believe it not to be an AVG problem, suggesting, once again, that I should contact CC support as they believe the problem lies with them.

Perhaps CC will listen this time and take a closer look. If there is a CC conflict with AVG, it only seems to manifest itself in the AVG Secure browser so, if AVG are certain it's not their problem then it can only be CC's.

I still have this problem with Firefox too which would suggest it's the browser settings on AVG Secure and Firefox.

I don't have the problem on either of the latest browsers I've downloaded, Opera and Brave.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else uses the AVG Secure browser and is, or isn't, experiencing the same problem and what settings might be affecting the Firefox browser.

Over to the experts.

Edited 02/05/20 12:13 PM
Wednesday, February 5, 2020 at 1:28 PM - Response #19

Not sure you meant to say "I checked the 'Keep me logged in on this computer' box on these CC Forums and when I closed my browser and returned to the site, I was still logged in. "

That is the way it is supposed to work. Before you said "close my browser, when I return to the website I still have to Log In."

So I'm a bit confused. I thought this was for ALL browsers, not just the AVG browser. Can you restate the exact problem again please.

You actually indicated it is probably their browwer "it only seems to manifest itself in the AVG Secure browser ".

That they can't figure it out is not surprising. It is a LOT of code and I doubt they were the actual developers. I told Malwarebytes (when it kept hard crashing my system) that if they paid me $$$ I'd send them repeated logs of the crashes. My solution was to disable it Smile They finally fixed their coding mistake (bad pool header - a storage allocation bug) about a YEAR later.

I use Edge, Chrome, Firefox and Opera. I have occasionally used some oddballs and they ALWAYS screwed things up Smile It's the price one pays for experimenting. I also do not use pre-releases for the same reason.

Tuesday, February 11, 2020 at 7:24 AM - Response #20

Jack, when I wrote, "I checked the 'Keep me logged in on this computer' box on these CC Forums and when I closed my browser and returned to the site, I was still logged in.", I was using it as an example of a website where it worked as it should do.

I only have a problem with AVG Secure and Firefox now. Chrome, Opera and Brave don't have the problem. I've looked at add-ons etc on all the sites and can't spot where the difference that's causing the problem might be.

I'm not worried unduly because I rarely use the feature anyway. If I need to in future I'll use Chrome, Opera or Brave.

Thanks.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.