ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Uploading Short Video Not from You Tube?

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 10/07/13 06:31 PM Views: 1317 Replies: 11
Monday, October 7, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Hello,

I’m just starting a new website and I’m trying to figure out how to upload a small personal video without using You Tube. Anyone know how to do that?

Thanks, Parl Guthrie

Monday, October 7, 2013 at 7:56 PM - Response #1

Did you mean

1. upload a video to your classcreator website or

2. just not using YouTube to display it (meaning some other site)?

If #1, what is the video file size?

Monday, October 7, 2013 at 11:11 PM - Response #2

Hi Jack, thanks for responding.

By the way, I’m a 1964 Bothell High School Graduate and I’m trying to help the administrator of the 50 year BHS Class of 1964 website in addition to my own.

The issue on my aSwarmOfOne website is that I’m wanting to upload a homemade movie that is 293 MG. I don’t want to upload it to You Tube because it’s personal, I would like to store it on my website and have it available for specific people to see only.

Do you have a suggestion, and any chance you might be able to help with the class of 1964 website?

Thanks,
Parl Guthrie

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 at 12:03 AM - Response #3

It's possible to make YouTube videos sort of hidden. It's called "not listed" which means it doesn't show up on a search. Only those with the URL can see it. So if you PW your site page that you embed the code on, only those people that have your site PW can see it (or those you send the link to).

Here's a LINK that describes how this works.

Your space on CC is only 100MB unless you pay more (see the pricing link on top of this page). Then you are left to put video player code on your site. All possible but a lot of work compared to using YouTube (and some other similar sites).

If you give me an idea of what '64 needs there might be some things I can help with. This forum is useful for answering many CC questions. If someone has coding experience I'm a bit more usefulCool

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 at 1:35 AM - Response #4

Actually, when I chose between the Premium Plan which offers 200 Megs and the Platinum Plan which offers 1 Gigabyte of space, I knew ahead of time that I wanted the 1 Gigabyte plan. My site has nothing to do with Classmates, and after communicating with the administrators it was acceptable to use it for other reasons.

While helping with the BHS Class of 64 site I very much liked the options available, so I also started working with the Bothell Historical Society to develop two other sites for them, but that got put on hold. So since I have a full Gigabyte to work with, and don’t want to deal with You Tube in any way shape or form, I’m determined to place the video on my site if I can ever figure it out. If you have any suggestions on how I can accomplish it anything would help.

I will check with the administrator of the BHS site to see where we stand on that site.

Thanks,
Parl

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 at 4:22 AM - Response #5

Typo on the 100 thing. 1GB works for a few small videos.

If you want to use your storage to play the video, you need to put code for a player on your site. There are several free players and are all more or less the same.

Read this LINK for how this works. You put (upload) the code in your file vault. Create a new folder to keep this separate from other data.

If your site is not a class, there's a setup thing that changes some things for you. Maybe you already did this? Here's the CC announcement that describes how to do this

Here's a CC site that does that SITE (actually done before CC mods, but gives an idea. The forum link has a user that is a sailing club. Maybe some others will jump in and show what they have done too.

Edited 10/08/13 4:24 AM
Tuesday, October 8, 2013 at 10:36 AM - Response #6

If there's anything I can either add or do to help let me know. I'm the root admin for the sailing club that Jack referred to.

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 at 5:19 PM - Response #7

I appreciate everyone help, but I guess I’m not up on procedures enough to understand it. I was hoping that Class Creator had a step by step video of how it can be done, but I’m told that isn’t something that they care to make available.

I need to rethink my options for websites.

Thanks anyway,
Parl

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 at 7:52 PM - Response #8

Picking a website provider is like picking a car or truck. What is the job it's supposed to do.

A few providers sell you a site because of their video player, but not much beyond that. Generally, one has to always create the support files for a video player to play your own data.

Like changing spark plugs. This is easy for those in the field and difficult for people that have never done that. That's why YouTube is so popular. It's easy to embed a video! There have been requests like yours to not use YouTube, but usually they did not realize that a video can be "hidden" from the general public as described earlier.

CC is excellent for a member data base, selling items (to subscribers) tracking same and a lot of other semi-automated tasks like creating links, image galleries and arrangements easily.

If you have a list of things you are looking for, maybe we can tell you which ones are easy and which ones can be done, but require more technical background (or time to learn).

I have some commercial sites that would gain nothing from CC because they just sell stuff. No members, no reunions, no email list requirement.

Some others again can help explain if that interests you.

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 at 10:15 PM - Response #9

I was hoping that the website could be used in two different ways. I have already gone through the U. S. Patent & Trademark Office and created a personal trademark. I want to use the trademark on children’s clothing as well as adult sports clothing.

1.   The website would kind of be a home base for my trademark. It would also help direct customers to other websites to find the items that would be available. I wanted the capability of storing a small movie on the site for that.

2.   I also wanted to use it for personal use, where I can upload and delete small family videos that are too large to transmit by email. A family member could have a password to access it. I don’t want anything like that to be on You Tube even if it’s restricted.

I know that Facebook is one way to do that, but many of our friends and family don’t have, and will not get a Facebook page. So I’m trying to accommodate them as well.

Since I already paid for the site I will use it to the end in one way or another, but it would be nice to be able to do both.

Maybe you can at least tell me if that is even possible?

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 at 11:41 PM - Response #10

#1 first part is vanilla stuff that is easy to do. If you wanted to play a video on the site from the File Vault, you'd have to install a player as referenced earlier.

#2 videos for family can be done but in a slightly different way. You'd have the family members download the file instead of playing on web. 250MB wouldn't take too long. Most users get at least 500KB (bytes) per second making that about 8 minutes. Most probably 3 minutes. Anyone with a slow connection would also translate to a slow jerky video feed in real time. (Later you could put a player on the site eventually too using one of the various free players that you'd install in the File Vault.)

Uploading data is done to an area called the "File Vault". It's set up by default into 2 folders: Image (that's where images are uploaded by CC if you use the standard tools) and File (that's where you load anything you want).

They wouldn't need a password, you just send them the link in the email to download and view. They could save it too if they wanted to.

In the File folder, what I suggest you do is create additional sub-folders to organize whatever it is you want to keep for whatever purpose.

To see these, go into the CC editor (edit page) and click on the 2nd icon on the 2nd row from the right (this will be 3rd once you save something). Hover there for a bit and it will say Link. Click on that. A new dialog opens and now click the 2nd one that says File Vault. See the upper left text box on the file manager and it says File

To see the Image folder, click the 2nd icon on the top row. Do the same drill and now you are in the Image folder.

Neither one of these will contain anything if you have not uploaded anything.

So in File, create a folder called "Test" (see lower left button), click on this folder to open it and then click on the Browse button on the lower left. This opens a dialog to get a file from your system to upload. Just pick anything so you can see what happens. It's simple to delete.

I may have typed something wrong, but looks close enough to get the feel I think (there's more details but have nothing to do with the basic file management tasks).

I assume you know that YouTube has 100% private videos that require a PW to access? There's no way anybody else can see those. There are also alternatives to YouTube that work the same way. For example Photobucket.com also restricted as much as you want. Plus you can store photos and all that. And it's freeWink

Just take it 1 step at a time and I think this will become simpler than it sounds.

Edited 10/08/13 11:43 PM
Wednesday, October 9, 2013 at 12:25 AM - Response #11

Thanks Jack, I really appreciate the information and I’m going to print it out and take it one step at time.

I won’t use You Tube if for nothing else because it will raise eyebrows, and result in having to answer questions about why anyone would do that, especially if young grandkids might be involved.

Very Happy

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.