ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Auto emails

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 07/21/19 10:50 AM Views: 652 Replies: 18
Sunday, July 21, 2019 at 10:50 AM

A classmate is wondering why no emails have been sent out for a while. I didn't realize that we've not received any of the auto birthday acknowledgments for a couple of months (at least) until he asked. Nothing has changed as far as preferences so am wondering too.

Thanks,
Carole

Sunday, July 21, 2019 at 2:09 PM - Response #1

I don't have an answer for you, but have been looking for awhile on how to send auto Happy Birthday emails.

Can you help with how to do this? I'd be forever grateful!
TIA

Sunday, July 21, 2019 at 3:33 PM - Response #2

The ClassCreator system did this automatically as long as proper option was checked. I thought it was a part of the administrator's tool "Preferences" but did not see it just now.

Kyle, or someone, please help. Thanks.

Carole

Sunday, July 21, 2019 at 10:26 PM - Response #3

Carol,
I'm still getting the site generated 'birthday' reminders here, so it's still working. Those come from a combination of two things:
(1) A classmate has to allow displaying their birthday by checking the "Allow Classmates to view my birthday" box in their profile.
(2) Classmates who want to get a notify email when someone's birthday is coming up (and on their birthday) needs to 'subscribe/follow' each one they want to see - either using the second page of the Notify Me options, or by individually 'following' specific classmates when viewing their profile.

Although admins can't see who a member is following, assuming that both of those are true, I can only guess at why someone might not be receiving birthday reminders. My first guess would be that some email from Class Creator was tagged as spam. From then on, all mail from CC might be blocked. Checking the spam bucket would be a good place for them to to start. And whitelisting CC's sending address is always advised to minimize any inadvertent spam tag.
Also,you can make sure that they're not in the Bounced list.

Carmela,
The subject of automatic site generated birthday wishes on a classmate's birthday has come up several times in the past. It would be fairly easy to implement - similar to the 'Your profile has not been updated in six month" notification (turned on in Preferences) with a greeting which would be changed regularly.
Unfortunately, each time the subject was requested, it drew about as many people who didn't think it was needed as those who thought it would be a great addition to what our sites can do. In the end, it never made it past the request stage.

Edited 07/21/19 10:32 PM
Sunday, July 21, 2019 at 11:09 PM - Response #4

Thanks, John. In this case and in the case of my classmate, we both have been getting emails for years. Why they suddenly stopped is a mystery. No changes have been made on our ends.

Carole

Sunday, July 21, 2019 at 11:58 PM - Response #5

By any chance, do you and your classmate use the same mail provider? We have seem instances where an ISP simply blocks suspected emails and does not return a reject message.

Monday, July 22, 2019 at 8:28 AM - Response #6

I think I know what you mean: He's sbcglobal and I'm aol.

Is there a way to check to see if any emails were automatically sent to the class? Then I'd know if it's just some of us that are not receiving emails or none were sent out during the last 2 months.

We've had several June and July birthdays but I've not made any changes for a while that would generate emails. I could just send an email to the class and ask, but I'd like to know first if any automatic emails have been sent.

Thanks for your help,
Carole

Monday, July 22, 2019 at 10:58 AM - Response #7

Go to Statistics, Notify Me Statistics. Page down to see the Daily Totals showing how many have been sent lately. Generally, larger numbers are associated with new pages, announcements, In Memory moves, or birthday pending notifies for popular classmates. Smaller numbers come from private messages, or notifies about people who only have a few who subscribe to them.

Of course, it all depends on what Notify Me choices people have made, but a consistantly large difference between the number sent and the number read could suggest that some are never getting the notify emails.

Edited 07/22/19 11:08 AM
Monday, July 22, 2019 at 11:29 AM - Response #8

Below are the numbers I found under "Notify Me Statistics." Does this mean that 28 were sent out today and 21 yesterday? If so, i did not receive any of those 49 messages except those pertaining to my help-post. Furthermore, according to the "Messages between Classmates" numbers, only one message was exchanged this month.

Date    Sent   Views   Perc
07-22-2019   28   7   25.00 %
07-21-2019   21   8   38.10 %
07-20-2019   15   8   53.33 %
07-17-2019   14   7   50.00 %
07-16-2019   2   2   100.00 %
07-15-2019   11   4   36.36 %
07-14-2019   15   8   53.33 %

Monday, July 22, 2019 at 11:55 AM - Response #9
NotifiyEmails.jpg

Those numbers only document notify emails that your site sent, and don't reflect any emails that Class Creator sent for help forum entries.

The latest numbers don't really mean much since there are probably classmates who don't check their email very often.

Looking farther back though, it doesn't look like there's a lot of activity. But beyond the 7/16 number which is probably from a private message (or two), your view numbers and percentages look low to me. I've attached my own, and you can see that mine look more like I'd expect - with the possibility that some of my view numbers still look low to me too.

Keep in mind that changes you make may not send you a notify since the system knows that you've already seen it. But I would expect you to have seen at least some of the notify emails sent out in the last couple days.

Edited 07/22/19 12:07 PM
Monday, July 22, 2019 at 2:19 PM - Response #10

I'm concerned about the birthday messages which have been automatically sent and have always been received by me. I can only guess what the 49 messages in the past two days were about but since I didn't generate any of them and my classmates probably didn't, I'm guessing ClassCreator did and at least some of them may be birthday messages. Anyway, I didn't receive any of the 49.

Am I understanding this correctly? There were actually 49 messages in the last two days that were sent out on my site?

Carole

Monday, July 22, 2019 at 2:38 PM - Response #11

You can't tell from the stats how many notify email types were sent over the last two days. Those numbers reflect the total number of notify emails sent. It could have been 2 notify emails, one sent each day to the number of people shown on each of those two days. Or it could be several notify email types each day, some Immediate and some Once daily, split between various classmates whose Notify Me choices requested them. Whether or not you should have received a notify email on either day depends on which notify type was being sent, whether you're following certain classmates, etc.

{Edit} More specifically, if one of your members had a birthday on any of those days, and they allowed 'Birthday Display' in their profile, and you're subscribed/following them, you should have received an notify email. If you did not, there's definitely a problem.

Edited 07/22/19 4:03 PM
Tuesday, July 23, 2019 at 10:26 AM - Response #12

I'm back with the same problem but phrasing it differently. There have been 14 classmate birthdays in July so far. I am subscribed to all classmates so I should have received notification of each as has happened in the past. I did not receive any. Why?

I would like ClassCreator to weigh in.

Thanks,
Carole

Edited 07/23/19 10:27 AM
Tuesday, July 23, 2019 at 1:23 PM - Response #13

I would need to know a name or two as examples so that I can verify some information in their accounts.

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 at 1:47 PM - Response #14

Below is the list of July birthdays as printed in "What's New?" I should be subscribed to all of them and did not receive a notication of any of them.

Thanks, Scott! (Whoops, Sorry)
Carole

Elouse M. Miller Hollenbaugh, JUL 21

C. Burton Lundquist, JUL 20

Louise Halajian Apoian, Jul 20

Dorothy A. Vanderbilt Schueler, JUL 17

Richard A. Hendricks,July 15

Donald A. Fitch, Jul 15

Joan C. Herzog Cadore,JUL 13

Joan Sebben/Letsch Sebben, Jul 12

Nancy A. Schwartz Hudson, JUL 11

Bonnie G. Bengtson Twietmeyer,Jul 11

Nancy M. Stockman Edwards, JUL 08

Harry K. Davy has a birthday today.
Jul 08

Jane Vander Meer Goldsworthy, JUL 06

Debbie Schroeder, Jul 06

Edited 07/23/19 1:47 PM
Wednesday, July 24, 2019 at 6:38 PM - Response #15

Hi Carole,

I'm sure this was an error but somehow your Notify Me settings for birthdays was set to Never. I changed it to once daily. I believe this will resolve the issue. It might be a little while before your next birthday in your group as I don't see any more for July listed.

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 at 7:25 PM - Response #16

This is a real mystery. How could the setting be changed when I haven't gone into that section at all. Thanks for finding the change in setting. I'll check that before I yell for help next time.

There are more July birthdays coming. I am one of them. We'll see what happens.

Carole

Thursday, July 25, 2019 at 12:16 AM - Response #17

The system does not send you a reminder of your own birthday - we assume you know when that is Smile I was looking at the list pasted above - if there are more in July you should know soon.

Jessica

Thursday, July 25, 2019 at 9:59 AM - Response #18

At my age,we need reminders for everything, Jessica.

Carole

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.