ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

In Memory Date Created

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 06/06/21 10:30 AM Views: 3560 Replies: 5
Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 10:30 AM

When viewing the In Memory page, Administrators and Classmates have no way of knowing when the individual’s name was posted to the In Memory section. We are not talking about the year the Classmate died, that is readily apparent, it is posted with the obituary. Sorting By Year Deceased is obvious.

However, who was just published regardless of the year they died, is difficult to know. Having a button that allows us to sort by the Date the Obituary was Created, would help Admins and Classmates to find the newest additions to the In Memory section. The button would have to be tied to the date that their profile was added to the In Memory page, not the date the Classmate’s name was added to the site or the date they joined.

Furthermore, with multiple Admin not working from the same location, when you need to review a deceased Classmate’s obituary, you have to be able to see the most recent publications quickly. Sometimes, an Admin doesn’t realize that since the Admin got their last work done, someone else has already done one of the names that we are working on. It is hard to move through a long list and quickly discover the names that have been recently created.

We are talking about, regardless of the year they died, when was the Classmate’s obituary created. How has the list changed since yesterday, last week, or the last time we viewed it. Unless we are over looking it, when we are editing the In Memory page, we don’t see a way to display by the date they were created. The current sort is:
Display:
By Year Deceased Alphabetically

Having another display sort button like this would be helpful
Display:
By Year Deceased Alphabetically Date Created

We are aware that recent saves would include edits and that would not be helpful. Edits that are saved for an existing Classmate’s In Memory page, would cause that individual to appear as if they were just published or just added to the list. We need be able to display when the Classmate’s name was first added to the In Memory listing. We are talking about in addition to the existing sort buttons, add a sort button for Date Created.

Display:
O By Year Deceased O Alphabetically O Yearbook Photo O Date Created

We don’t know if you have or can prepare a code to sort the display by the date the obituary was created, that would be the date a Classmate’s member page was elevated to the In Memory section; but a button for that would be helpful.

Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 2:57 PM - Response #1

I will discuss this with the programmers.

Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 8:03 PM - Response #2

My comment has nothing to do with your desire to have a choice of sorting by date the In Memory entry was created. That's fine for a multi-year site like yours which may have many passings in a year. For a single-year class, just having the sort "By Year Deceased" suffices, in my opinion. Most single-year classes have just a handful of passings in a given year.

Addressing another of your points, you say, "We are aware that recent saves would include edits and that would not be helpful. Edits that are saved for an existing Classmate’s In Memory page, would cause that individual to appear as if they were just published or just added to the list."

That statement is incorrect. Making an edit to an In Memory page does not cause "that individual to appear as if they were just published or just added to the list." The In Memory entry remains in the same order it was prior to the edit.

In a closely related topic, classmates are only notified about the edit if, under Admin Functions > Preferences > Classmate Notifications, you check the first box: "Prechecked: Automatically send subscriber notices unless box is manually unchecked before saving."

Chose Unchecked and no one will know about the edit except the administrator who made it.
"Unchecked: Do not automatically send subscriber notices unless box is manually checked before saving."

Edited 06/06/21 8:06 PM
Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 8:29 PM - Response #3

In any large class, knowing when the most recent created obituary was added would be helpful. I get that a small single site might not think that it needs doing.

Anyway, you kind of missed why we made the reference about the save sort concern. We already get the part about notifying our classmates using the check box. We were just referring to the coding part. We thought that if a code was being created, using the recent save feature like you do with documents, last modified, that might mess with a code. But we totally already use the notification process for our classmates and we know that our minor updates and saves do not trigger a site email, so that was not what we were talking about.

A little disappointed that you think that they would not be willing to construct a date created button. For the past 13 years, that feature would have been helpful. Our new admins are walking on each other. If they could see newly created it would really speed up their work and give them confidence. Before now, it wasn't a problem. We did this whole thing as a gift for the community by ourselves. Now we are trying to get ready to let new admins take over, it is more of an issue. We are sure that there are other large sites that use Brad's Classcreator platform and we are convinced that even the casual user would appreciate being able to view the newest addition to their deceased list. Even on a smaller listing, it is hard to remember the last notice that you saw. So the newest created button would still be helpful. Maybe they will still consider the idea. Thanks anyway - And on we go...

Edited 06/06/21 8:38 PM
Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 9:07 PM - Response #4

I'm sorry if you misinterpreted my comment when you say "A little disappointed that you think that they would not be willing to construct a date created button." I said "That's fine for a multi-year site like yours which may have many passings per year." I have no idea what Class Creator will do with your idea, but I hope you get your wish for your multi-year site.

Edited 06/06/21 10:50 PM
Monday, June 7, 2021 at 11:39 AM - Response #5

*Administrator *Pound High Alumni wrote:

When viewing the In Memory page, Administrators and Classmates have no way of knowing when the individual’s name was posted to the In Memory section. We are not talking about the year the Classmate died, that is readily apparent, it is posted with the obituary. Sorting By Year Deceased is obvious.

However, who was just published regardless of the year they died, is difficult to know.

I got around this problem in the ways I handle a move to In Memory. I force a profile update so that date reflects the date of the move. Forcing a change in the profile updated date when you make an In Memory move will give you what you're looking for since the system should block any other profile updates for someone who's In Memory.

To begin with, I go to the profile, uncheck all the "allow" boxes - like allow comments, allow birthday display, etc. Some of that should have been automatic on an In Memory move, but there are still places that the system allows people to post profile comments - which at that point should be limited to In Memory comments. And just to make sure everything I did would be treated as a profile update, (especially for those classmates who hadn't joined), I always changed the time zone before saving.

At one time doing that meant that member's name would show up in the Profile Updates box on the home page. We have a few members who have set the In Memory notify option to "Never" and that triggered them to click on the name in the Profile Updates box - which took them to the In Memory entry. Unfortunately, several years ago CC made a change which removed any name that's In Memory from the profile update box. But the changed profile update date should give you what you need.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.