ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Scrolling (or not) Background Image

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 12/10/10 10:59 AM Views: 1372 Replies: 13
Friday, December 10, 2010 at 10:59 AM

I notice that my latest background image doesn't scroll (in Firefox anyway) although the few I've investigated on other sites do. I'm not sure one is better than the other but was curious as to what makes one scroll and the other not, just in case I wanted to control it in the future.

Thanks,

Jim

Friday, December 10, 2010 at 11:13 AM - Response #1

It scrolls for me in FF. It could be that the distance of your mouse wheel scroll is nearly equal to the height of the background image, giving the illusion of a non scrolling background. Just a wild guess. Try grabbing the scroll bar on the right and slowly moving it up and down to see if the bg slides. I assume it will. Backgrounds can be made to be fixed position through CSS, however our sites are not set up for that at this time.

Friday, December 10, 2010 at 11:38 AM - Response #2

Jim -- Your background scrolls for me in FF and IE. I have noticed the non-scrolling issue on my site also, but when I log out and then log back in as my alter-ego it scrolls. Maybe a gremlin??Laughing

Sandy

Friday, December 10, 2010 at 11:53 AM - Response #3

Jim,
I'm on a Mac and the background doesn't scroll in FF for me but I like it that way and thought that was the way it was supposed to be.
Classmate Jimmy Z

Friday, December 10, 2010 at 12:06 PM - Response #4

This is because of INSTANT MESSAGING.

If I login without IM turned on, the background scrolls.
If I login and have Instant Messaging turned on at the bottom of the screen, the background doesn't scroll.

When Sandy saw your site, she isn't logged in, so no IM
When Scott viewed your site, he was logged in, but most of the time, the Class Creator ADMINS don't have Instant Message turned on (we don't want to be seen by your classmates and confuse them)
Jimmy might not have Instant Messaging turned on (not sure about the MAC thing anyway).

Friday, December 10, 2010 at 12:08 PM - Response #5

Mine scrolls on FF and IE when not signed in. Signed in, it does not scroll. I prefer that it not scroll...wish we could figure out why the difference.

Friday, December 10, 2010 at 12:10 PM - Response #6

LOL...Kyle you got in 2 minutes before me. That answers that!

Friday, December 10, 2010 at 12:12 PM - Response #7

Kyle, you're right on. When I'm not logged on it scrolls. When I log on it doesn't. I have IM turned on.

Thanks Scott, Sandy, Jimmy Z, and Ruth for looking into this as well.

Wonder what other "enhancements" IM is throwing our way as well. Wink

Jim

Edited 12/10/10 12:13 PM
Friday, December 10, 2010 at 12:13 PM - Response #8

THX Kyle. I was not aware of that IM symptom. Smile

Friday, December 10, 2010 at 12:14 PM - Response #9

I have im turned on and the background doesn't scroll.
I presume when you say scroll you mean the background moves. Mine is in a fixed position and does not move.

Jimmy Z

Friday, December 10, 2010 at 12:24 PM - Response #10

Jimmy Z-

Yes, that's what I mean by scrolling. It may just be that IM is featured differently on a Mac than on a Windows machine. Just a guess on my part.

Jim

Friday, December 10, 2010 at 12:34 PM - Response #11

The issue is a matter of programming a system, like IM, that will work "close" to the same on: Mac, PC, Linux, Win XP, Vista, Win 7, and in Safari, Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, others, PLUS have the user how may be installing additional add-on tool bars to their browsers window. I know I failed to mention scores of other options and so the variables/combinations of user environments becomes countless. But if everyone used the same browser, life would be boring... NOT. Smile

Saturday, December 11, 2010 at 12:47 AM - Response #12

SCOTT: Please take a look at my site, as I have the same problem in scrolling, It works on others CC web sites but not mine.

Bill L.

Saturday, December 11, 2010 at 1:35 AM - Response #13

This is because of INSTANT MESSAGING.

If I login without IM turned on, the background scrolls.
If I login and have Instant Messaging turned on at the bottom of the screen, the background doesn't scroll.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.