ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Will I lose info on class list upload?

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 07/25/11 10:17 AM Views: 1047 Replies: 9
Monday, July 25, 2011 at 10:17 AM

I started our site before we had a class list in Excel/CVS format available so the names and whatever info we had was entered manually. We've also had classmates join the site and upload info/photos. I now have a worksheet with info from previous reunions and from school days which I would like to add to what already exists in the class listing. I am guessing that the only way I can do this without losing pre-existing profiles is to do these individually, is that correct? Thx.

Monday, July 25, 2011 at 10:21 AM - Response #1

No, Beth. If you upload and the NAME, LAST NAME, MAIDEN NAME combination is exactly the same, the upload for that classmate won't happen and the information in the database will remain unchanged. If the NAME, LAST NAME, MAIDEN NAME combination is in any way different spelling, you will have two of the classmates on your website and you will want to delete the uploaded one or manually merge the new information into the existing classmate.

Kyle

Monday, July 25, 2011 at 10:30 AM - Response #2

Thanks Kyle, I'll take a look at that and be sure to set everything up the same way. Will other labels matter if they don't match?

One other question, is there any way to adjust the width of the page? There's so much white space on the right side that I feel goes to waste. I'd prefer a shorter page (less scrolling) if at all possible. Thx.

Monday, July 25, 2011 at 10:34 AM - Response #3

Currently, there is no way to adjust the width of the page. When the new designs come out with ClassCreator 3.0, they are supposed to have some wider designs.

I am not sure about your other question, but I think it only looks at the NAME fields to see if it matches something already in your class and if the name is exactly the same, it ignores that uploaded classmate and just skips that information.

Remember to delete the default classmates in your DOWNLOAD TEMPLATE or you will have two classmates that nobody knows.

Monday, July 25, 2011 at 10:40 AM - Response #4

Thanks again! One last question, I just looked at your site and LOVE your first time/FAQ page. Rather than rebuilding the wheel, would you mind if I used your page as a template to add to my site?

Monday, July 25, 2011 at 10:45 AM - Response #5

go ahead and use it. Make sure you change the links to all point to YOUR website or else when they click a link, they will end up at my website.

I think I "borrowed" it from another site a few years ago.

Monday, July 25, 2011 at 10:49 AM - Response #6

Thanks again!! Appreciate the super speedy responses!

Monday, July 25, 2011 at 11:53 AM - Response #7

Kyle Erickson wrote:

Currently, there is no way to adjust the width of the page. .

Actually there IS. I asked that same question when I first started using CC and got the same answer (and a heated debate). So that got me curious since it is a tad too narrow, plus the odd offset spacing on the left. I told Brad about it, but the information was never propagated.

For the styles that are similar to ours (no top menu), I can make pages any width I want. I made it 1024 because there are a few that have 1024 screen sizes - that's the only reason it's not wider. The only pages I can't change are the ones where I can't create content (e.g. profiles) hence my request to enable ALL the pages to have user content.

If you look carefully and compare you'll see what I'm describing. The extra 100 width makes for a much easier to create/looking pages.

For the left and top offsets, I overrode the CSS to there's -0- spacing, thus making more of the space (even though it's only 4 pixels) available for content. And the same for preventing the background for scrolling when not logged in (got that from Kyle I think).

Edited 07/25/11 11:54 AM
Monday, July 25, 2011 at 12:01 PM - Response #8

Thanks Jack! That's more what I'm looking for! OK, even though I consider myself somewhat of a techie, CSS and I are not good friends. First, WHERE do I find the coding? It's probably right in front of my face, but I tend to over look those most simple things. I think once I find that I can hunt and find the settings to change the width. Thanks!

Monday, July 25, 2011 at 12:29 PM - Response #9

Look at the bottom of our page source and find the text/CSS and retrieve the css file stored in our vault along with Google Analytics code. All that is placed in the Google Analytics section so it propagates to all the pages. (Something else I learned from Kyle and John)

For making the pages wider (not sure about your design, but looks similar to ours), what you do is something that some people do by "accident" and that is put in a table that is wide enough to force the outer table to expand. Ours is 810 wide.

Look at the bottom of the home page and search for width="810". It's a table that does not show and at the bottom so you don't have to worry about it.

The other pages are much easier. You can do the "invisible" table or just make a wider table. Worst case - you may have to adopt our designConfused (that's all I could play with)

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.