ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

uploading video to site

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 09/15/14 05:21 PM Views: 951 Replies: 6
Monday, September 15, 2014 at 5:21 PM

Hi,

A classmate just called to say he's located historic stock car race footage from the 50's. He took the 8mm film and converted it into a DVD with a sound track. We'd like to get it uploaded and viewable from the site, but need current information. From 2010 CC archives, I can find how to upload a .wmv file to the vault, or use youtube but we want to check to make sure this is still the current recommendation. We are both Mac users. Any help would be appreciated.

Donna

Monday, September 15, 2014 at 6:19 PM - Response #1

When we get faced with a similar request for uploading a video, I always suggest that our website just carry the link, as any video longer than about 30 seconds will eat your storage more quickly than you can purchase it and YouTube or other sites can probably handle the video more expediently - and the YT link can be private to only your classmates that have the URL...your mileage may vary...IMO

Edited 09/15/14 6:21 PM
Monday, September 15, 2014 at 11:51 PM - Response #2

Thanks Dick. I appreciate your quick response. You offer good reasons to stick with youtube. One more question, if the video is hosted by YT, does an embed rather than a link impact the memory allotment the same as if it is in the vault?

Donna

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 at 12:14 AM - Response #3

Donna - I think that's "beyond my pay grade" to answer. I'm not sure I understand the subtleties of each. I suspect that you mean either posting something like "http://youtube.com-blahblahblah" vs "Here is the YT Link" and you can click on either one - the former is obviously a click-able link, while the latter shows with the actual http:// link embedded underneath, so by clicking on "Here is the Link" will bring you to the proper URL without exposing the actual URL???

Edited 09/16/14 12:15 AM
Tuesday, September 16, 2014 at 12:31 AM - Response #4

Hi Donna,
Yes, you can EMBED a YouTube video. And don't forget to make it UNLISTED, if you do not want to share it with the world. Smile

The 'how to make a Jing' video on TAP's home page is hosted on YouTube and is UNlisted.

Edited 09/16/14 12:32 AM
Tuesday, September 16, 2014 at 1:10 PM - Response #5

DONNA EWOLDT wrote:

One more question, if the video is hosted by YT, does an embed rather than a link impact the memory allotment the same as if it is in the vault?Donna

An embed has no effect on the memory allotment. That's one of the big advantages of putting the video on YouTube as opposed to uploading it to the file vault.

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 at 11:23 AM - Response #6

Thanks Gwen. Unlisted it will be. Didn't know about this "feature".

Also thanks FC for the memory info.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.