ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Yearbook Copyrights

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 09/18/09 05:21 PM Views: 1285 Replies: 2
Friday, September 18, 2009 at 5:21 PM

Any copyright attorney--of which I am not--can verify what is contained herein. If you have doubts, consult an attorney. As a published writer, I have performed extensive research on copyright law, to protect myself and my works. What follows is a condensed version of my research:

Under copyright laws, any material produced and published using public tax dollars, i.e., municipal, county, state and/or federal, is automatically placed in the public domain at the time of publication. Hence it is not copyrighted and can never be copyrighted.

Any documents produced by any governments at any level, local or otherwise, such as marriage licenses, contracts, manuals, corporate registration documents, etc.) are not covered by copyright law, including photos and personal or "private" information. They are freely viewable by the public, and freely reproducible where allowed. Due to privacy issues, many governments won't allow copying but will allow making notes. This is one way news reporters get background information for stories.

While you may feel your right to privacy has been violated, publishing your "public domain" photo without your permission is not against the law. At any rate, it's probably best to seek permissions for photos if you have the slightest doubt.

Edited 09/18/09 5:23 PM
Friday, September 18, 2009 at 7:14 PM - Response #1

I've never been able to give a good answer for this question, so I appreciate VERY MUCH you entering this information here Frank. This will be very helpful in the future.

Saturday, November 28, 2009 at 11:31 AM - Response #2

Found this on the Internet
http://www.yearbookdigital.com/copyright.htm

Publication Date:Before 1923
Condition: None
Copyright Term: In the public domain

Publication Date:1923 - 1977
Condition: No copyright notice.

Publication Date: 1923 - 1963
Condition: There was a copyright notice but it was not renewed. Copyright holders were required to renew their copyright in the 28th year after publication. Only a small percentage actually did this.

Publication Date:1923 - 1963
Condition: The copyright notice was renewed. Permission will be required from the copyright holder.
Copyright Term: 95 years after publication date

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.